Poll

Hammers or Axes?

Hammers
- 42 (29.4%)
Axes
- 101 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Hammers or Axes?  (Read 3799 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammers or Axes?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 01:08:32 am »

I tend to use short swords. From my experience in underground caverns it can be pretty cramped and the last weapon you would want is something that needs room to swing like an axe or hammer. Short and stabby all the way.
Memento Mori

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 01:14:06 am »

Axes remove heads and limbs, and sometimes disconnect the upper body from the lower body. What more do I need to say.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 01:35:24 am »

Ah, but hammers can break weapon hands, forcing your opponent to drop his wooden (sword|spear|mace|hammer|axe|bow). :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 03:21:29 am »

I say drop the shield and use both :)

But anyway, hammers are good for mods like genesis where enemies CAN have steel armor, making axes mostly useless.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:11 am »

Once I manage to mod in a hammer that reliably causes knockback without having roughly the same weight as a dwarf star, they will definitely be my weapon of choice. Until then, axes are more reliable, as they can be effectively made from lighter materials, which allows my axedorfs to chase down and slaughter those bloody macaques.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 04:45:59 am »

If restricting myself to a single dwarf-made weapon: Mining picks. They can penetrate to the vitals of big fleshy things, they can chip through tough <material> abominations, they are pointy enough to dig through armour better than most blades but slashy enough that they can lop off goblin-sized limbs.

Otherwise, the choice depends heavily on the materials available. Silver and copper make poor blades but decent blunt weapons... I prefer hammers because they're best at what they do and I'll round them out with others once better materials become available. If the best I have is bronze or iron, spears do nicely - unlike swords and axes, they do adequately against armour of equal material quality and they tend to be quite good against wildlife. With steel or adamantine, axes become attractive - chance of penetration armour are decent with a material advantage anyway, may as well choose the weapon that creates the biggest mess if it connects.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 05:09:35 am »

AND MY AXE!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 07:20:02 am »

I read this as:

one hammer ...
one axe ...
and one speeeeaarr!

(Sorry, i can't remember the name of the song ... horrible with names, I am.)
A surprisingly dwarfy tune.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 07:51:22 am »

dwarf star
I see what you did there. :P
Also, axes. Manlier and more effective. If your dorfs can't break armor with them, then they should just use their little hardcore fists and feet. This is because, however bashy hammers are, a well-trained fist can do almost the same amount of damage.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 08:42:32 am »

Hammers = 10 minutes of futile bashing. Axes = 10 minutes of cleaning up severed limbs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 10:22:30 am »

Axes.

'The severed part sails off in an arc!'
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 10:37:49 am »

Spoiler: Modded Halberds (click to show/hide)

All four food groups there.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 02:11:22 pm »

Swords of course. Spears are ok toom but axes and hammers are too primitive for my awesome dwarven army (usually 1 or 2 dwarves)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 02:23:04 pm »

Hammers are downright deadly against armored foes, but if all your really going up against is goblins, steel axes will be more then enough.

Me, I like spears.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 02:33:37 pm »

Axes give off WAY to much mercy to be used....The endless pounding of an enemy while it screams in pain and terror with each strike connecting to it's body making even the demons below my vast empire cry from the screams of agony and allowing Armok to enjoy the suspense of which part of it's body will bleed first!
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5