Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Fortress Depending Entirely on Silver  (Read 8402 times)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Fortress Depending Entirely on Silver
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 07:50:36 pm »

I'm not sure how exactly this works, but non-penetrating edged hits aren't converted into otherwise equal blunt hits.  This is very apparent in morningstars - if it worked like that, they would be at least as good as war hammers even if they don't penetrate. They aren't, and I tested them extensively.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 08:27:18 pm »

If you are getting your silver from galena, shouldn't you be turning the lead into spiked balls for your traps?  Lead is significantly denser than silver, after all.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 08:48:09 pm »

Not as much as you'd think (SOLID_DENSITY: 11340 vs. silver's 10490). Also, you can't make weapons from lead without modding. Also, lead is (IIRC) even softer than silver.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »

Not as much as you'd think (SOLID_DENSITY: 11340 vs. silver's 10490). Also, you can't make weapons from lead without modding. Also, lead is (IIRC) even softer than silver.
True.  But that squishiness allows better transfer of kinetic energy (not that DF models that portion of physics when smashing someone with a large spiked metal ball in a trap).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 05:53:51 am »

True.  But that squishiness allows better transfer of kinetic energy (not that DF models that portion of physics when smashing someone with a large spiked metal ball in a trap).
It was my understanding that the squishing would absorb part of the impact, making it transfer less force than if it hadn't squished.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 06:05:43 am »

(not that DF models that portion of physics when smashing someone with a large spiked metal ball in a trap).

You might be surprised, actually.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:LEAD]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:lead]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten lead]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling lead]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[SPEC_HEAT:130]
[MELTING_POINT:10589]
[BOILING_POINT:13148]
[SOLID_DENSITY:11340]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:10660]
[MOLAR_MASS:207200]
[IMPACT_YIELD:35000]  <----- Right thur
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:42000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:760]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:35000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:42000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:760] 46
[TENSILE_YIELD:10000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:12000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:63] 16
[TORSION_YIELD:10000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:12000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:179]
[SHEAR_YIELD:10000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:12000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:179] 5.6
[BENDING_YIELD:10000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:12000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:63]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:20:29 am by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 06:10:58 am »

If you are getting your silver from galena, shouldn't you be turning the lead into spiked balls for your traps?  Lead is significantly denser than silver, after all.

Actually, when posting this, I had forgotten (for some reason) that galena produces lead, and a small chance of silver or something  :P

But anyway, I discovered tetahedrite (ore of copper, I believe) deeper down when I struck the caverns. Now, if only I can find some tin... By the way, how effective are copper bolts? I have a magma forge, so it's almost completely free. Thinking on it, there is no ore of tin on my map, so I'm stuck at copper and silver (till I get me some goblinite) for bolts and weapons. It's mentioned that silver bolts are fine... so how fares copper? Will it get through an armored goblin?

Also, it was quite funny to see this turn into a physics of DF debate (of a sort), so please don't let me interrupt anyone.  :D

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 06:19:16 am »

Actually, when posting this, I had forgotten (for some reason) that galena produces lead, and a small chance of silver or something  :P

But anyway, I discovered tetahedrite (ore of copper, I believe) deeper down when I struck the caverns. Now, if only I can find some tin... By the way, how effective are copper bolts? I have a magma forge, so it's almost completely free. Thinking on it, there is no ore of tin on my map, so I'm stuck at copper and silver (till I get me some goblinite) for bolts and weapons. It's mentioned that silver bolts are fine... so how fares copper? Will it get through an armored goblin?

Also, it was quite funny to see this turn into a physics of DF debate (of a sort), so please don't let me interrupt anyone.  :D

You should get both copper and silver from tetrahedrite. copper and tin make bronze IIRC
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 02:03:51 pm »

Bronze, copper and silver all make good bolts, with no material being clearly superior. Differences are minor, but silver seems to do best against soft targets and bronze against armour. Iron and steel seemed worse, adamantine useless.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 02:33:58 pm »

Copper armor isn't really that bad, and copper weapons are still reasonably effective. Give that you have lots of silver I'd probably make silver bolts and weight your military more heavily towards archery. Let the copper-clad guys clean up the bleeding pincushions.

Also, make valuable items and buy up ALL of the metal items of metals you don't have, even toy axes etc, then melt it all down. You can end up with a significant amount of iron and steel that way. Requesting items from the dwarven caravan that are likely to be made of metal also helps.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 02:53:50 pm »

My fort is importing gold, not steel, but I can get the equivalent of 8-10 gold bars a year with care. You can probably get more steel since you can request steel anvils and IIRC they make a steel bar per anvil.  That's particularly true if you have flux on your map since the dwarves and humans both bring iron.
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 2 [3]