Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Fortress Depending Entirely on Silver  (Read 8407 times)

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Fortress Depending Entirely on Silver
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 01:47:20 am »

Rain enough of them and you're bound to kill something.
Must... avoid... linkingtoTVTropes!
-snip-
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoreDakka

this is the appropriate link.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 01:57:18 am »

Keep a couple of Sword dwarves armed with Obsidian and a fews squads of crossbowdwarves  to help round out your DPS so that your Hammerdwarves aren't spending all year killing the thing with 300 broken bones.  Silver and bone both are very good for bolts and occasionaly pierce even Iron armour.  A mixed approach with ranged attackers and traps softening up the goblins before your melee should allow you to wipe them out fairly efficiently allowing you to harvest their metals for your own use.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 02:02:41 am »

Now apply that rule to your siege weapons....
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 05:40:50 am »

Weapons aren't the major problem - silver bolts and blunt weapons are among the best, although something to round them out would be nice (obsidian short swords or copper spears will do in a pinch). The major problem will be protection - I'd use my limited imports for all the armour pieces that can't be made out of bone.

Regarding trap components: Silver will be quite bad for these, they're all edged. Silver hammers/maces are your best bet for actually hurting things, multi-hit items (balls, disks) are still good for tiring invaders out or making them dodge into an inescapable pit with some kill mechanism. Hoewver, without better materials I'd focus on good old dwarven engineering rather than purpose-built weapon traps.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:20 am »

Enjoy the tonnes of useless lead ;)

I tried this with one of my fortresses and it went fairly well, but OH THE LEAD!

There's only so many lead bins and barrels one needs...
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 06:21:05 am »

You can make all the furniture out of lead though, if I recall correctly it is more valuable than wood, and in particularly hot or cold biomes it is more available too. So lead doors, lead chairs, lead tables...

If you still have an excess, make it into crafts or statues, and sell them to the caravan. Or start constructing surface structures out of lead... A giant lead balloon as a megaproject?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 06:42:47 am »

Even bone bolts will kill anything in sufficient volume.

Even a bronze colossus.

Yes. I've done it before. Took around 15,000 rounds of ammunition.  :D

I had that happen too. The bastard killed or crippled almost all of my military, then fell in a pool. Every part of his body was in the red, missing both feet, one hand, and a whole arm.

Then a minotaur shows up, so I send the rest of my dorfs after him.

No one shoots at him, so I look to see what they were shooting at. Turns out, the BC. Which was dead. I checked the combat log (where dwarves with iron swords had done next to nothing)
the bolt strike the bronze collosus in the lower torso!
the severed part sails off in an arc!

And then I get a 50+ goblin siege. *sigh*

And on my current fortress, I can only get any metal at all from trading or goblinite.

But yeah, silver warhammers are nasty.

bobahz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 08:43:58 am »

I have such fort right now, silver and gold my only metals... adamantine too of course.
Silver bolts, warhammers and maces are pretty good.
Armor and steel come from import and goblinite.

Really intresting fort tho, some challenge at least.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 08:44:26 am »

If the embark said shallow metals, keep digging around.  There might be a better metal.  Or dig for the deep metals and hope you get something good.  Also, magma.

For playing with just silver, use spiked balls/serrated discs as trade goods, not for weapon traps.  They are the single most valuable item in the game, silver adds a decent material multiplier to the value.  Order max steel bars and steel anvils from the caravan.  Buy any steel armor/weapon/craft that they bring.  If they're bringing a lot of other junk in addition to the steel you want, add iron and pig iron to your request.  If you need coke or charcoal, request bituminous coal and coke and charcoal and wood. 

Defense should be silver hammers, silver bolts, and either Dodge This! or cage traps, until you have enough steel for fully armored squads.

Don't forget booze for your dwarfs, and a dining room full of silver furniture.  Hate to go to all this work just to have a tantrum spiral kill the fort.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »

This More Dakka approach bothers me, mainly because it makes for longer, drawn-out, painful deaths for invaders.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 12:17:43 pm »

It also makes for fewer bones cluttering my stockpiles, so it's a win-win.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 12:52:04 pm »

You could also build a castle out of the leftover lead, just in case Toady adds a forgotten beast made of plutonium.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 03:00:56 pm »

I often stud everything with lead when I am smelting lots of galena. It isn't the best but it adds value, you sometimes get cool images and it gets rids of it very handily. I find it is too heavy to easily pass off on traders, you only need so many bins and I usually try to use something better for my furniture.
Memento Mori

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 04:58:54 pm »

This More Dakka approach bothers  amuses  me, mainly because it makes for longer, drawn-out, painful deaths for invaders.

Fixed that for you.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »

Silver spiked balls are great. 3 attacks each with the same contact area as a warhammer. IDK about the velocity, but the warhammer size of 400X2 is still less than the weight of the spiked ball weight of 1000X1. So a weapon trap with 10 spiked balls is like 30 swings with a war hammer at least. Edge attacks default to blunt if it can't penetrate armor, so silver is still good for spiked balls (not like they had good penetration anyways).
Pages: 1 [2] 3