Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Fortress Depending Entirely on Silver  (Read 8396 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Fortress Depending Entirely on Silver
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »

So, I just heard of .22's release, installed and genned a world in it. I started, picked a spot with soil, clay, shallow metals, flux and deep metals. It's the last few days of summer, and I have yet to strike the shallow metal (which I hoped dearly would be iron). Then, the dreaded message came: You have struck galena!

:( was my expression for a few seconds, as I recalled that usually there would be only one type of metal in one place. Then, thinking on it, I thought, heck, why not? Silver warhammers are the best, are they not? So, here's what I'm planning: To have my entire military decked out in silver equipment, perhaps upgrading to the higher tiers via caravan goods.

But I have a few questions. How good is silver armor? Is this whole silver thing going to work? Any tips?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: A Fortress Depending Entirely on Silver
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:01:23 pm »

Silver armor cannot be made unless you mod the game or have a mood. And it is bad also. Ever wondered why silver has NOT been used for serious weapons IRL ?

Silver blunt weapons, however... try 10 exceptional silver war hammers in a weapon trap...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:02:21 pm »

What he said.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:10:52 pm »

Blast. Thinking on that, I suppose they would be too heavy for armors anyway. How do they do as bolts? Enough to pierce copper or leather at least, I hope? (probably not though...)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:14:08 pm »

They do okay as bolts do to their weight. I can't be much more specific, as I tend to only use bone bolts myself.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »

Bone bolts? Why do you not use metal ones? (Unless that was just a joke on the gigantic amount of bones the goblins leave behind in your fortress :D )

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:44 pm »

Bone bolts are pretty good, and personally I tend to get huge amounts of various bones in a fortress.

Perfect for spamming bone crossbow traps filled with bone bolts if you have enough time, stone and bones. Also a good bowyer and bone carver counts.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:24:40 pm »

Rain enough of them and you're bound to kill something.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:38:26 pm »

Well, looks like my fortress is not completely  doomed. How good is leather armor, by the way?

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »

Go with wooden or bone armour rather than leather.

Or start importing steel/iron/bronze.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:40:56 pm »

Rain enough of them and you're bound to kill something.
Must... avoid... linkingtoTVTropes!

On the matter of silver and defense, I'd recommend, as Naryar said, silver warhammers for all your traps and maybe soldiers and with a few serrated silver disks along the way if you want to use caravans for all the good stuff. They sell real good.

Leather armor, as far as I know from adventure mode, isn't all that. If you can churn out enough silver warhammer traps, though, you probably won't even need armor.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:46:48 pm »

Spiked balls might be better than discs since IIRC their damage is somewhat dependent on weight which is what silver has going for it. Silver hammers are as others have mentioned excellent offensive weapons. Silver bolts work very well, I sometimes use them instead of steel. If you import steel, pig iron and iron along with iron and steel flasks, cages and crafts you can have enough steel to outfit a couple of squads with basic armor in 2-3 years. Add in traps and marksdwarves and you should be fine.
Memento Mori

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 12:57:01 am »

Even bone bolts will kill anything in sufficient volume.

Even a bronze colossus.

Yes. I've done it before. Took around 15,000 rounds of ammunition.  :D

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 01:28:49 am »

I was about to say.... I've seriously fuked up a bronze colossus with bone bolts. I didn't kill it with them, but then again bolts tend to not kill things very well anyway. Anyway, after a few hundred bolts (at most) most of its body parts were red and it couldn't do much damage anymore. Some axedwarves had no trouble finishing it off.

Too bad you can't make crossbows out of silver (since they get used as blunt weapons in melee).

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 01:43:39 am »

My Xbow dorfs use metal bolts for combat and bone bolts for training. My hunters use wooden.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!
Pages: [1] 2 3