Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which version is most "bugless"?  (Read 3492 times)

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
Which version is most "bugless"?
« on: March 25, 2011, 05:07:26 pm »

Since now we're suffering from "no nobles bug", and clothes owning bug, and no trader carts, which version had them working properly and is generally considered best for normal fortress game play? 31.12? 40d?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which version is most "bugless"?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »

40d  :P honestly I don't know. There's bugs in most versions but 40d was pretty stable. Although it lacks in the awesome things from the newer releases   :-\

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:20:23 pm »

So, apparently I'll have to go for a trade-off  :P. Ah well, I'll be missing "magma anywhere" feature  :P

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:29:59 pm »

40d was the most stable. But if you play it, you're missing out on roughly two years of new features.
Due to the interspersion of bugfixes amongst caravan arc releases, we will likely be at 40d-level stability again soon. And the current version is entirely playable.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

40d had bugs, too, though.  Dwarves generally dropped owned items and clothes and never picked them up again, for example. 

0.31.22 should be the most bugless of all the 0.31s, I'm not sure where you came up with 31.12, specifically.  Another month or so of bugfixes, and .31 should have a lot more of its bugs ironed out. 

That said, I still have a 40d fortress that I like to go back to, occasionally. I'm generally more excited by the .31 stuff, but really, I think the best version is the one you've built a fortress you've grown attached to in. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »

.31.23 just surpassed .22 as the most bug-free of the 2010 releases. At this point, I feel the levels of bugs for 40d and .23 are fairly similar- they exist, but they are hardly gamebreaking, and just about all the major features work as they should. .23 features are a bit quirkier and less stable, but there are more of them than 40d.

That said, I haven't gone back to 40d since the new versions- I'm a sucker for new shinies.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »

So, apparently I'll have to go for a trade-off  :P. Ah well, I'll be missing "magma anywhere" feature  :P

You'll miss more than that.  I went back to 40d just a couple weeks ago, which lasted for all of two hours.  40d dwarves drop whatever they're doing as soon as they get hungry, thirsty, or tired.  If they're carrying, for example, a bucket that was to bring water to a wounded dwarf, that bucket gets dropped and is never recognized as a usable bucket ever again.  I had one fort where I had a dwarf wounded from a cave in, and he died because no one gave him water.  Oh, several dwarves started giving him water all right, but they'd find other, more urgent things to do like go get boozed up.  This happened enough times to use up all my buckets.  Had to make more.  When I got more buckets, they did the same thing, and then Urist McMiningAccident died.

Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »

Ah, I remember that. I also remember early in the 2010 cycle where Toady rubberbanded it too far the other way, and they'd all work themselves to death. We're at a good balance right now.

Honestly, lots of people will talk about how bug free 40d was, but mostly we don't remember them clearly, and were already used to them.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:26:09 pm »

Plus the newest versions are much, MUCH faster than 40d.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 02:34:35 pm »

That's not to say I don't miss certain things about 40d.  Most of all I miss the ability to see HFS, magma pipes, and the like from the embark screen.  I also miss the irregular shape of the magma pipe walls, the speed (and ease) with which the military trained, the true channeling, etc.  As wonderful as those are, though, they don't equal the improvements in 31.x.

I never played the version before 40d, but I think it would also be oh so fun to have lethal steam again, just for the wonderful possibilities of the traps it could make.  I actually made a goblin steamer in one of my first 40d fortresses before finding out that it wouldn't work.  It was a bit of a let-down.  Another pre-40d feature I would have liked to see would be magma rivers.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »

The 2D version was pretty stable and pretty bugless.

Heheh...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 03:57:14 pm »

It was also quite unique, I play it from time to time (I've made a tileset for that just for this purpose). It's much less complex, but it plays as a different game... And it has quite a few features which didn't make it back yet (economy, guilds, ruins with undead, proper Mountain Halls in adv. mode etc.) so I like to come back to it from time to time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 03:15:19 pm »

And now .24 is out, which is the NEW most bugless version.
くコ:彡

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:23:43 pm »

.25 looks to be right around the corner as well. Barring even more crash bugs, that will probably be the last for a while.

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 06:36:53 pm »

.25 looks to be right around the corner as well. Barring even more crash bugs, that will probably be the last for a while.

Is there much left to fix, though ? I only heard about 1 crash that was recently marked as fixed on Mantis but not yet included in any releases.
Pages: [1] 2