Which Party do you sit nearest to?

Conservatives
Liberals
NDP
Bloc Quebecois
Greens
Far from all of them

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Canadian Election  (Read 7950 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Election
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2011, 12:21:15 am »

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2011, 04:23:06 pm »

Here's a link to a quick test to vaguely approximate where you sit in relation to the political parties.

EDIT: Helps if I add the link; http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/votecompass/
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2011, 04:23:37 pm »

Here's a link to a quick test to vaguely approximate where you sit in relation to the political parties.
No there isn't.

E: ah.
E: I'm more liberal than the liberals :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:28:37 pm by Darvi »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2011, 04:38:40 pm »

Apparently, I'd be a Canadian Liberal, although a bit more economically lilberal, and a bit more socially conservative.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2011, 04:56:21 pm »

There's a lot of talk going around about that vote compass, and it's apparent bias towards the liberals. I landed on the conservative end of things so I didn't have an issue with it. But to all the people up in arms about complaining about the bias an how the cbc is trying to get votes for the liberals, if you rely on some internet test to decide who to vote for, then maybe you shouldn't be voting.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »

Have you seen our attack adds. I haven't seen a single thing to convince anyone to vote for any party this election, everything has been so utterly dull that I bet anyone that votes votes for the same party, and voter turnout will be even lower than last time.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:37 pm »

I'm not sure if voter turn out can get any lower. :( I hate attack ads, it makes me not want to vote for anybody and judging by the low turnout last election a lot of people feel the same way.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2011, 07:45:13 pm »

Huh. According to the vote-compass, I'm more liberal than the Liberals, and are closest to the Green Party. Huh.

Also, did anyone else notice that the Conservatives were running their attack ads before they announced the election?

I'm not sure if voter turn out can get any lower. :(

If the turnout is not a zero, it can get lower.

Still sucks though.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2011, 02:46:55 pm »

Also, did anyone else notice that the Conservatives were running their attack ads before they announced the election?

Election was caused by a vote that apparently declared the Conservatives to be in contempt of parliament.

Turnout in the last election was 54%.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »

I'm not sure if voter turn out can get any lower. :( I hate attack ads, it makes me not want to vote for anybody and judging by the low turnout last election a lot of people feel the same way.

I totally understand why you would just not want to vote for anyone, but it's important that you do anyhow. Canadian voter turnout is embarrassing as-is, and pretty indicative of how shitty our politicians are doing at trying to represent the people, but even more embarrassing is the number of people that actually put Harper into power (or in this case, re-elected). Voter turnout was 58.8% last time, with 14m out of 24m eligible voters casting ballots. The population was about 32 mil, making the percentage of people in the province who voted at all (eligible or otherwise) about 44% of the population. The Conservatives got about 5.2 million votes, or 37% of the votes cast, putting Harper in power on the votes of... 16.25% (or so) or the population of the country. And despite this, he's run one of the most partisan, underhanded, and frankly undemocratic administrations yet seen, acting with incredible amounts of executive power for someone who's supposed to represent the people's interests. It's just painful, and I can't stand that instead of trying to rectify this our party leaders seem to just be trying their hardest to propagate even more apathy.

As an aside, according to the CBC compass I'm apparently right in line with the Green Party, though I generally support either the NDP or Liberals.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 03:56:45 pm »

The election is now over, and we have some surprising results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_2011#Results

The conservatives got a majority which I didn't expect and the NDP took 2nd, which was very unexpected, they were permanent third party for a very long time. The BQ is no longer an official party (score) and the Greens finally elected someone to power, too bad, now they'll never realize that that they don't stand a chance of ever being anything.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 04:24:21 pm »

I for one am happy to see Saanich vote Green. Now that they have a seat maybe they'll start letting them into the debates, so people can actually know they exist. Also, as a former Saanich resident, it's just nice to see the tree-hugging, granola munching communists making their voices heard.

I am, however, surprised and not at all pleased to see Harper rocking the majority. Besides disagreeing with the conservatives in general, that dude is just creepy. He looks like a wax sculpture of himself, or a really elaborate doll.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 04:39:56 pm »

Today, I am sad. Three bad news came to me this morning.
1) The Bloc Québécois got destroyed, and as someone of Montréal, it hurts.
2) Stephen Harper won, and the four next years will be dark years in Québec, I think.
3) Poor Gilles Duceppe quitted.

Damn it! This is the worst day of the year!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:43:50 pm by Shootandrun »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 04:56:14 pm »

Today, I am sad. Three bad news came to me this morning.
1) The Bloc Québécois got destroyed, and as someone of Montréal, it hurts.
2) Stephen Harper won, and the four next years will be dark years in Québec, I think.
3) Poor Gilles Duceppe quitted.

Damn it! This is the worst day of the year!

That was pretty much what made my morning.

Shall we derail into debating the legitimacy of the the BQ?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6