Which Party do you sit nearest to?

Conservatives
Liberals
NDP
Bloc Quebecois
Greens
Far from all of them

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Canadian Election  (Read 7959 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Election
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 07:04:30 pm »

But the average person is quite apathetic.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 07:18:33 pm »

I've said in the past that I would enjoy seeing mandatory voting in Canada.

I don't see much benefit to forcing the politically ignorant and apathetic to vote.  The number of people it inspires to take the time to educate themselves and make informed votes is probably minuscule compared to the additional uninformed and foolish (e.g. so-called donkey votes) votes.  Mandatory voting does more damage to the political process than good IMO.

But what do I know?  Feel free to counter my conjecture with facts.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 07:23:03 pm »

I don't like mandatory voting. What about for people who don't support any of the parties? I do however support a ban on political advertisement, all it ever is is one party slamming another. That doesn't help me make an informed choice at all.
As for major issues, I don't think Afghanistan is really an issue anymore. We're pulling out and to me that seems like what most civilians want anyways so I don't think we really need to talk much about it. So unless there's a party that wants to stay then my vote won't be swayed by any talk about Afghanistan.
Fake edit: What Earthquake said, mandatory voting isn't going to help. If someone doesn't care about which government is in power then why should they be forced to make a random vote?
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 07:28:31 pm »

Mandatory voting is great for parties whose supporters don't expect to win.  Instead of "There's no point, I'll just stay home", people say "Grumble grumble I guess I'll vote for my favorites just to be snarky".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »

Dear Canada.
If you go right wing, I am no longer going to send you an annual Christmas card. Not for any personal reason, but I find that girls that are into dolphins and smoking weed tend to be easier then girls who aspire to run large cooperation. I love you Canada, what with your cool accents, maple syrup and Scott Pilgrim, so please don't make me choose between you and hippie girls, because you just can't win that one. Just pretend to care about the environment by electing some annoying fringe group, then don't listen to them!
~Max White, of the United Colonies of Australia.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 08:55:45 pm »

Liberals. Canada has been my escape plan if Australia becomes too right winged. If you fail me Canada, I will kill your family.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 10:47:49 pm »

I'd love to see a sudden NDP majority out of nowhere. Daydreaming is fun :P

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 10:59:10 pm »

I'd love to see a sudden NDP marijuana party majority out of nowhere. Daydreaming is fun :P

By the way, I'm really happy that everyone is so eager to go with the NDP and their health care and senior loving ways, but may I ask you voters: Where's the money going to come from for these things?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 11:03:58 pm »

I'd love to see a sudden NDP majority out of nowhere. Daydreaming is fun :P

OH GOD! They'd crash the second they tried to actually do something, instead of critiquing everyone else. I may move to Kentucky and chill with Rand Paul if that happens.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 11:14:37 pm »

I'd love to see a sudden NDP marijuana party majority out of nowhere. Daydreaming is fun :P

By the way, I'm really happy that everyone is so eager to go with the NDP and their health care and senior loving ways, but may I ask you voters: Where's the money going to come from for these things?

They can just take the money out of the 18 billion dollar fighter jet fund.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 01:06:06 am »

Until they can't pay for it and the higher corporate taxes couple with the Canadian $ being at parity killing and production jobs left in Canada, leaving us with no goods to export except raw materials and maybe energy, resulting in a crash in the economy... Yeah, great plan.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 03:38:59 am »

Until they can't pay for it and the higher corporate taxes couple with the Canadian $ being at parity killing and production jobs left in Canada, leaving us with no goods to export except raw materials and maybe energy, resulting in a crash in the economy... Yeah, great plan.

Huh? Higher corporate taxes than who? Canada has much lower corporate taxes than the USA, which I think has the highest corporate tax rate in the G8. Low corporate taxes are sort of why the Conservatives are saying they fixed the economy.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 03:52:09 am »

mandatory voting.

I'm sorry, but mandatory voting is a ridiculous idea. Let's force the people who didn't research or don't care who they vote for, and force them to vote anyway! That is a tremendous idea that will surely benefit the democratic process.

I'm surprised by the NDP love. I guess I shouldn't be, considering the leftist bent of this forum.

Spoiler: My general opinions (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 04:14:44 am »

Ah, Kenseti, it seems you have missed the awesome power of forcing people to vote.

You see, if people don't have to vote, then the only people who do vote are zealots who have been brainwashed by the most charismatic guy who hugs babies, promises to lower taxes and praises god. With mandatory voting, these silly cultists are far outweighed by people who just do not care, as such they donkey vote, and rather then Shady McGoodLiar getting into power, we get who evers name shows up first on the piece of paper.

I would much prefer some random guy who doesn't know what he is doing, then the guy who has connections to the church of scientology.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 11:39:00 am »

I am very tired of seeing the constant "Michael Ignatieff is back in Canada, and let's show you some things he said in the early 00s and even in the 90s to prove that his current opinions are not Canadian and that he's evil and hates the Canadian people" smear ads.  Every time I watch TV on a Canadian channel, one of those ads will pop up.  Every single time.  It's somehow worse than the years of weekly "Liberals are BAD!  The NDP is BAD!" mail.

The Liberal counterattack is not much better.  At least they focus on recent events (2010, 2011), and I'm not constantly seeing their ads.  Still, not the right thing to do.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6