Which Party do you sit nearest to?

Conservatives
Liberals
NDP
Bloc Quebecois
Greens
Far from all of them

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Canadian Election  (Read 7940 times)

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Election
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2011, 05:26:40 pm »

As a Montréal anglophone, I feel a savage glee at the Bloc being firmly trounced. They failed to defend their seats against the NDP, even in rural Québec, even Duceppe's own seat; they got what they had coming to them.

Though I'm not thrilled about more Stephen Harper, this election certainly stirred things up a bit. Majority government -- ok. NDP opposition -- sweet. Green party actually scores a seat -- w00t.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2011, 06:00:34 pm »

The conservatives got a majority which I didn't expect and the NDP took 2nd, which was very unexpected, they were permanent third party for a very long time. The BQ is no longer an official party (score) and the Greens finally elected someone to power, too bad, now they'll never realize that that they don't stand a chance of ever being anything.

You forgot two facts:

A) Michael Ignatieff is going to resign (Probably).

B) This is the very first election where the Liberals did become come first or second party (and they've been around since July 1, 1867! (Also making them the oldest Canadian political party)).

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 07:03:06 pm »

Yeah, there were various facts and I didn't see an article clearly summing them all up for me, so I've sorta been slacking all day.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2011, 08:01:44 pm »

The election is now over, and we have some surprising results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_2011#Results
The Greens got 576k total votes -- 361k fewer than last time -- and have a seat, rather than the none they won last time.

The Conservatives got +1.97% more votes and +16.8% more seats.

Those statements are pretty good arguments for some sort of PR or AV.

Or looking at it another way, this election is what you should see in an FPTP system. You end up with two big parties acting as coalitions, smaller parties join up or die.
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2011, 08:18:37 pm »

...Until the NDP is official opposition.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]