Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wargame Project  (Read 2414 times)

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wargame Project
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:44:12 pm »

Did a quick search and didn't see this so...

I came across this today, do not know anything about it, spent about 10 mins on the site looking around and decided someone here might be interested.

http://wargameproject.com/#

Take care,

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame Project
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:42:29 pm »

This looks like it might be worth a try. Downloading now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

megas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »

Hi, I'm one of two developers that are writing this game (occasionally as this is not commercial). Found this thread by noticing traffic coming from this page :)

There is currently only 3 mission long campaign and a lot of room for improvement (especially in user interface). But we do have a huge universe with numerous units/races/weapons/skills/effects etc. Now we have finally found some time and are preparing our second release which will introduce the dwarf campaign (should be interesting around here :) ). It will also feature player profile, major improvements in user interface (there is a new popup engine), improved AI and high scores that can be submitted to the web.

Thats it for now. I guess I will post an update when we release the new version... Any feedback welcome of course!

Aleksei

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:47:52 pm »

Looks pretty neat. Turn based strategy with tactical battles, by the looks of it. They even have some example games (AARs) up on the site to get a better feel for it!
Spoiler: About the game (click to show/hide)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 01:11:42 pm »

Looks pretty neat. Turn based strategy with tactical battles, by the looks of it. They even have some example games (AARs) up on the site to get a better feel for it!
Spoiler: About the game (click to show/hide)

So what must a unit do to be able to turn to steel? ;)

megas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 02:47:08 pm »

:D Eat some mushrooms I guess  :D Will correct this typo with the next site redeployment..

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 03:54:50 pm »

:D Eat some mushrooms I guess  :D Will correct this typo with the next site redeployment..

Also
    Units get tired and hungry, become poisoned and deceased, heal and cure themselves.
Is there resurrection in the game, or is that also a typo?

Khazad_Dron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 04:55:41 pm »

It's a typo. Thanks for pointing out.  ;)
Actually, there is resurrection. Dark Side has a special unit, a powerful spell-caster called Dark Ambassador. If he gets killed he can be resurrected for some significant amount of mana (and if there's not enough mana at your disposal, you can always butcher and sacrifice slaves or your own units to get that resource :) ). There are also Dark Knights which are bound to their demonic portals. They will resurrect again and again. Portals need to be destroyed to stop that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »

How did I miss this thread?

This looks like it has a hell of a lot of potential, I'll be trying it out tomorrow :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 07:54:03 pm »

Quote from: http://http://wargameproject.com/index.xhtml
WargameProject is a Turn Based Strategy with its own fantasy universe. It can be played Single player or Hot Seat or PBeM (by email).

I don't see PBeM in the game anywhere. I do see Hotseat, but using that would allow any player to view any other player's empire, and seems to force that by not allowing saving in-between turns on a "Player Name, enter password to start your turn" screen (or allowing players to receive the current turn's save file from a 'host' and submit their turns back to the host independently, with the host then loading them in his game to have it execute them).

Which is to say that it sounds cool, and I was going to suggest that certain people try it, but the point would have been so that we could play it in PBeM, assuming that the game wasn't horribly slow to play (I've been completely burned out on that by Civ) or anything. :P

I'm assuming it was just an accident that the website claims to have PBeM now when it isn't in the game yet (and that it would be impractical to use hotseat for a PBeM game unless you don't mind your enemies seeing and fiddling with your empires), and that it meant to say that it will have PBeM in the future.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:04:44 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 08:12:16 pm »

How did I miss this thread?

This looks like it has a hell of a lot of potential, I'll be trying it out tomorrow :)

It got buried pretty quick after I posted it actually...got a lot of looks but no replies so down the list it went.

Take care,

megas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 07:01:56 am »

I don't see PBeM in the game anywhere. I do see Hotseat, but using that would allow any player to view any other player's empire, and seems to force that by not allowing saving in-between turns on a "Player Name, enter password to start your turn" screen (or allowing players to receive the current turn's save file from a 'host' and submit their turns back to the host independently, with the host then loading them in his game to have it execute them).

Which is to say that it sounds cool, and I was going to suggest that certain people try it, but the point would have been so that we could play it in PBeM, assuming that the game wasn't horribly slow to play (I've been completely burned out on that by Civ) or anything. :P

I'm assuming it was just an accident that the website claims to have PBeM now when it isn't in the game yet (and that it would be impractical to use hotseat for a PBeM game unless you don't mind your enemies seeing and fiddling with your empires), and that it meant to say that it will have PBeM in the future.

Good point, I believe it deserves a good explanation :)
You are indeed correct (I will remove this statement). I think this paragraph was written before we made the first release and at that time we were pretty optimistic about our plans. Another reason PBeM is not there is that we didn't quite came to a conclusion yet about how the multiplayer would look like. I was thinking about something like you wrote - keeping the state of the game on server (that would also solve the save/load cheat).  But that would require a whole bunch of new features like creating PBeM games on the server (there should be means for players to start new games and others to join them), syncing game profiles and server accounts, etc. Even if we do that there is still the problem that games are very long (maybe nobody will care to play?). In reality playing 2 versus 2 is almost impossible except by such dedicated fans as we are (1 on 1 is easier of course). One game usually lasts 20 turns where each player turn lasts from 5 minutes in the beginning to an hour or so at the end. But the problem is the delays between turns of course as everybody makes his turn when has time for that. We we elaborating on creating some kind of skirmish maps where players would start with a given set of armies and very simple objectives for example making sure you own a certain castle in 10 turns. However we are still thinking about that and this is not yet in plans for the next release.
There are also couple of blockers before we can seriously start asking people to play the game. One is that user interface is not so good and the other is graphics. All that could be fixed, but requires of course huge time investments (probably some money also). So we decided to first make a small campaign and see if people will like the whole concept of TBS with tactical battles and our world in general. We got some feedback and decided that it is worth to make another release. If the feedback will keep getting better, I think we would probably do the PBeM in the next one :)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 10:54:38 am »

This looks like an interesting game.  I may try it out.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Khazad_Dron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 04:42:58 pm »

I don't see PBeM in the game anywhere.

That's right. No in-game support for PBeM. It's just how we play it because it's really hard to gather and play hot seat these days (work, family, etc). But if you have a friend and you trust each other (which is in my opinion a must if you call yourself friends), then there is no such concern as cheating.
Unfortunately, there are plenty of ways to cheat, and cheat prevention is a major topic... But your comment is appreciated and noted and we will definitely be thinking about improving this part of the game.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 08:53:39 pm »

I love this game, but I kill myself all the time.
Pages: [1] 2