Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 31.22 game breaking issue  (Read 2232 times)

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
31.22 game breaking issue
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:35 am »

embark location chosen
embark profile chosen/customised
"Strike the Earth!"
*crash*

I've reported this as a bug, but I don't want to discount the possibility that I've done something stupid.  I've uploaded the region I'm using below in case anyone wants to try it for themselves.  Have I done something stupid?  Has anyone else had the same issue?

http://www.4shared.com/file/sTFaWXdu/region1.html
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.22 game breaking issue
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:51:24 am »

Took your saved region, started a new fortress, customized, embarked, everything OK.

So it's not the version, nor the generated region - there is probably something fishy about your local df configuration, operating system, hardware, etc. Possibilities are endless - do a memtest, check if you have enough resources, check logs if you have them, etc.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:55:23 am »

Occasionally the game crashes on embark.

Dunno what causes it, re-embarking with the exact same setup tends to work fine.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:56:34 am »

Huh.  That is really odd.  I tried redownloading DF 31.22 and moving the saved region into it and starting it again and... again... it crashed.  I've tried several different locations on the same world and it happens every time.

Hmmm...

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:27 am »

I have had it sometimes happen and sometimes not happen. It only seems to hapen if you are starting a new fort on a world that previously had one.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:05:28 am »

Try installing 31.22 fresh in a separate directory and try not to install and mods/graphics/etc.  Nothing more advanced than a "Create New World" seed should be changed.

If it crashes then? You have yourself a report-worthy bug.

But it'll still be something about your machine causing it, even if it is something Toady should address.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:11:41 am »

Been happening to me occasionally since the first 0.31.xx version I used. As billybobfred says re-embarking at the same place with the same stuff often works perfectly fine.

I could hazard a guess at what the underlying problem is.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26:59 am »

Huh.  That is really odd.  I tried redownloading DF 31.22 and moving the saved region into it and starting it again and... again... it crashed.  I've tried several different locations on the same world and it happens every time.

Hmmm...

As I said, there may be some problems with your computer setup - borked OS, failing memory, overheating, power supply issues, bad libraries, I don't know. Try laptop or a different computer, you'll see it works, at least sometimes. There may be a memory leak in the new version that may cause problems with low-mem setups.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:54 am »

Just a toss out here, but, try a new world?

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:45:07 am »

Just a toss out here, but, try a new world?

The world is OKAY, I tried it. And if it crashes every time, it has a value of reproducing the problem that plagues his setup.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:50:06 am »

Same basic issue here. Tried re-embarking on the same spot with the same set up multiple times, each one ending in a crash. Tried a different area of that world, also a crash. Finally made a new world and tried 3 different areas without a single one crashing.

I even reinstalled the game to a different directory and completely deleted the original install. Im glad to know that it might be my laptop thats causing the problem though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 11:01:41 am »

I've had bugged worlds before.  I couldn't embark anywhere on it, or on other worlds I could embark but couldn't adventure.  It happens, bugs happen!  Try a new world, and if the problem persists, then it's a real issue.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 11:26:24 am »

Thanks for all the advice, guys.  Somehow, running the game in compatability mode fixed the problem.  Have noted this on the bug report I submitted.

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:43 am »

I've had bugged worlds before.  I couldn't embark anywhere on it, or on other worlds I could embark but couldn't adventure.  It happens, bugs happen!  Try a new world, and if the problem persists, then it's a real issue.
This sort of intermittent bug has a strong possibility of being memory corruption due to a wild pointer, which is Bad(tm).
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 12:02:17 pm »

Also, how much RAM have you got? It was possible to get by -barely- with 512MB in 40d, but the requirements have roughly doubled since then. That's caused a few crashes for me.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2