Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Bugs - what is now the most important thing to fix?  (Read 12897 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs - what is now the most important thing to fix?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »

I know, right?

That was so tactless and factless that I thought she might be a troll.  Looks like she isn't, but she does seem to be in the habit of making condescending claims that have no connection with reality.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 06:47:30 pm »

Toady isn't avoiding a multithreaded approach based on principle.  It simply isn't clear that the potential performance gains from a naïve attempt at parallelism would win out against the inherent failures of parallel computing.  Namely, the memory accesses of pathfinding are dense, and there are potential gains with regards to caching which disappear once threading is implemented (unless you're really super clever about it).  My point here is that if toady were to throw together some slap-dash multithreading for pathfinding, it would quite possibly end up being slower than a single-threaded approach. 

Back on track here - the above discussion regarding algorithms for improved hauling seem sort of unnecessary - just scaling the z-axis by a factor of ~5 would probably make things work intuitively enough that players wouldn't be frustrated by confusing stockpile pathing. 

Also: wow, Toady is a machine with the bugs lately, no?
where is up?

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 07:33:11 pm »

Also: wow, Toady is a machine with the bugs lately, no?

True.  And for some reason it seems to have spread to the utility coders as well.  Peterix released a DFhack build for .23 within five hours of the release of the game.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the anniversary of 31.01 is four days away.  The dark magics released on that day must be lingering in the world still, and they are beginning to resonate and strengthen again as the anniversary draws near, causing mini fey moods in rapid succession for all who have exposed themselves to the code, or the echoes of it.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 10:05:37 pm »

Back on track here - the above discussion regarding algorithms for improved hauling seem sort of unnecessary - just scaling the z-axis by a factor of ~5 would probably make things work intuitively enough that players wouldn't be frustrated by confusing stockpile pathing.
Ah, but this is only true if your fortress is a traditional sprawling set of rooms on only several Z-levels! 

Do we want the dwarven pathfinding and job selection algorithms to make those kinds of assumptions about fortress structure? What happens if your fortress is cylindrical in shape, or even spherical?  What happens when instead of being based off a single central staircase, there are multiple possible up/down paths at regular intervals? What happens when, because of need to access caverns or magma or whatever, your fortress is two separate enclaves separated by a 30-level staircase?

In each of those (and probably many more) situations a static weighting factor will just confuse the distance function and could produce worse results tan the naive Euclidian system used now.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 11:59:47 pm »

Im wondering what DF goes if the 'closest' item that it picked is blocked and inaccessable; does it do pathfinding, fail, pick another, pathfind.... until successful?

What might be better is not checking the entire list of objects just to select the closest one...

Another way to do the search is by following dwarf-accessable paths starting from the workshop, until an appropriate item is found, or all paths dead end. The bonus being that whatever path is found to the item, can also be used by the dwarf to get the item.

There would have to be a limit on the distance searched before falling back to the enumeration method, to put a cap on the search in case the nearest item is many hundreds of tiles away; or doesn't exist at all.

That also depends on if a tile 'knows' what items are in it; or if checking what items are in a tile would also require going through the entire list... and going through the list may also be required to see if there are any valid items at all; no point doing any path calculations in that case; but then you've gone through the list, and simply summing the differances in x/y/z could have been done while doing so...

Being able to assign a stockpile for a workshop to 'take from' would pretty much eliminate most of that work anyway, and would allow players to better control what gets produced.

As for multithreading, using multiple threads is easy; but doing it correctly, is very hard.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 05:39:09 pm »

I've posted this a couple times, but I still really want to see descriptor-genetics fixed. Something broke them a while ago and every time you gen a world now you get civilizations full of completely physically identical clones with the same hair, eyes, skin, broadness, etc. And while it's not a huge problem, it's a big immersion breaker for me as it hampers the "visualization" of the dwarves and prevents me from assigning special roles based on appearance.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 01:34:19 am »

Fixing marksdwarves and wagons. Those are the two bugs I can think of.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

vrga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 04:24:22 am »

Marksdwarves arent fixed in 31.25?

(didnt get to play much yet)
Zeocin's take on the current situation in Ardentdikes:
Otherwise known as the Release Urist Now Apocalyptic Weapon of Arse Yerking, or the R.U.N.A.W.A.Y. system.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 11:32:47 am »

Also, the tendency of military dwarves to stop fighting as soon as a their fifth toe, right foot gets bruised and seek the hospital, only since they're in the middle of a fight they just end up running back and forth, and become pincushions if there's any enemy archers around.  Had two proficient squads in full armor get decimated by two squads of goblins this way last night. 

It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in a game.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 12:02:07 pm »

They tend to want to suicide-rush enemies.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vrga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 12:33:00 pm »

what about the training?

(suicide rushes are easily prevented as i do have to make defenses in such a way that the only way for them to attack is to shoot shit.)
Zeocin's take on the current situation in Ardentdikes:
Otherwise known as the Release Urist Now Apocalyptic Weapon of Arse Yerking, or the R.U.N.A.W.A.Y. system.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 01:30:49 pm »

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 02:06:44 pm »

I could live very happily if I never saw the status "Soldier (Cannot follow orders)" next to my marksdwarves ever again.

One has to wonder why he called the military arc finished when there are so many problems with ranged soldiers.  That's supposed to be EA's thing, not Toady's.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 02:08:38 pm »

He hasn't actually started the military arc. That comes after the caravan arc.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 02:14:57 pm »

I thought 31.x was the military arc.  At least, the first few releases of it.  That's where the new military screen, schedules, alerts, etc. came from.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7