Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Bugs - what is now the most important thing to fix?  (Read 12869 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Bugs - what is now the most important thing to fix?
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:34:04 am »

I can think only about clothes related bugs.

EDIT:
  • Clothing
  • Dungeon Master & other "Baron" level nobles not appearing
  • Some map generation things (high z-variance on a map causing the magma sea to drain into HFS, perfectly straight volcanoes, that sort of thing)
  • Kobolds all dying of hunger 4 or 5 years into World Gen
  • Bone decorations using up entire stacks
  • All water in an embark being salty despite being several region tiles away from sea (affecting even water sources in mountains)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:08:32 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs - what is now the most important thing to fix?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:37:30 am »

-Clothing
-Some map generation things (high z-variance on a map causing the magma sea to drain into HFS, perfectly straight volcanoes, that sort of thing)
-Other stuff that I can't think of.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:08:04 am »

Equipping-related bugs (both civilian/military) and any new issues that pop up in this release, along with cleanup of some trivial items; nothing too heavy because I'd like to see further progress on the Caravan Arc, although at the same time it has been well worth the wait given the quality and quantity of the fixes. Of course, I'd also like to see some improvements on the performance side but I have no problem with incremental improvements in that area over the course of new releases.

Either way, looks like .22/.23 will be the most stable release we've had so far.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Mostly just the Dungeon Master?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:09:05 am »

Wow, it's hard to remember what bugs still exist after these updates....  I guess there are some new bugs (mostly grass eating one's ramps/stairs) that are new, but Toady already said those were going to be zapped soon.

I guess the biggest bug for me is the fact that we still don't have a Dungeon Master :(  I don't care so much about the other immigrant nobles, but he was cool.  That's probably the single most important bug left.

Oh, and I guess I would like it if Toady used all those material values I dug up, but that's a feature more than a bug... I think.  Though I guess it's a trivial bug that Tanzanite appears in the wrong layers (should be in any metamorphic rock, should NOT be in gabbro) and how a few density values in the raws exist but are rather far off.  But I already made a mod for that, so it's not really a big deal.  Anyone who wants the added realism can use it and some of the bigger mods have already incorporated it, which makes me happy :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:27:08 am »

How about:
Rotted clothing killing FPS because changing clothes is broken but dwarves still think about it constantly

Map generation breaking to the extent where you embark on Slade with Hell immediately open

Kobolds all dying of hunger 4 or 5 years into World Gen

Dungeon Master & other "Baron" level nobles not appearing

All water in an embark being salty despite being several region tiles away from sea (affecting even water sources in mountains)

Loyalty cascades amongst invaders when they enter your map making ambushes/sieges a pushover

Then there's more trivial things like Caravans still don't have Wagons, Skeletons of Invaders can't be turned into usable bones & just clutter your fortress, multiple issues with buckets, dwarves not taking pathfinding into account when looking for job materials, whips & scourges being superlasers that ignore armour & hit the brain directly. Take a look at Mantis, there's only around 1800+ reported issues.

Either way, looks like .22/.23 will be the most stable release we've had so far.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaahahahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa. Well played sir!
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:26:42 am »

Was that capitalized laughter really necessary? In terms of longstanding bugs fixed, these releases are a significant step forward.

On topic though, how about crystal glass? Is that still bugged?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:32:02 am »

Was that capitalized laughter really necessary? In terms of longstanding bugs fixed, these releases are a significant step forward.

On topic though, how about crystal glass? Is that still bugged?

Troll laughter.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:20:11 am »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaahahahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa. Well played sir!

Hey, we have to be realistic...there's still a ton of stuff out there that needs fixing.  At least it's not 0.31.01.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:53:45 am »

Yeah, that pathing stuff was terrible.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 03:31:06 pm »

Rotted clothing killing FPS because changing clothes is broken but dwarves still think about it constantly

Not that big a deal, but yeah, I would like my civilians to use clothing again.

Map generation breaking to the extent where you embark on Slade with Hell immediately open

That's very rare.  Could be considered a feature, even :)

Add no_eat and no_drink to them; would like to see fixes though.

Dungeon Master & other "Baron" level nobles not appearing

The DM is badly missed.

All water in an embark being salty despite being several region tiles away from sea (affecting even water sources in mountains)

Screw pumps should be able to desalinate it.  It's also, arguably, realistic.

Loyalty cascades amongst invaders when they enter your map making ambushes/sieges a pushover

Needs fixing, yes.

* Then there's more trivial things like Caravans still don't have Wagons, Skeletons of Invaders can't be turned into usable bones & just clutter your fortress, multiple issues with buckets, dwarves not taking pathfinding into account when looking for job materials, whips & scourges being superlasers that ignore armour & hit the brain directly. Take a look at Mantis, there's only around 1800+ reported issues.

I do miss wagons, but oh well.  Skeletons you can change with modding.  You also missed the problems with rotting (hopefully it'll get fixed when zombies are).  The bucket issue should get fixed shortly.  You don't WANT them pathing to items or things will be sloooooooow, but yeah, they should definitely weight the z-distance more than x & y in their calculations (i.e. assume that changing floors means it's far away).  And whips are great, but not that great.

I've seen Mantis, but all software accumulates piles of bugs like that.  And lots of things are dupes, not reproduceable, etc.

Anyhow, I hope to see more bugfixes, especially some of the listed issues, but the problems the player has to worry about have gotten a lot smaller.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 04:08:38 pm »

There's also the bug with food stockpiles not being used properly.. annoying as hell.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4054

http://horobox.co.uk/u/Orkel_1301107151.png
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:28:38 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 05:22:07 pm »

LOL OK. FPS death isn't "that big a deal". I expect there's vast swathes of DF players who will completely agree with you.

That's very rare.  Could be considered a feature, even :)
Rare enough that I can reproduce it at will on between 1/3-1/2 of the region tiles making large chunks of the world useless for exploring the underground.

Add no_eat and no_drink to them; would like to see fixes though.
What, like I said on that very issue? Thanks for letting me know my own advice. I would never have considered it otherwise  ::)

Screw pumps should be able to desalinate it.  It's also, arguably, realistic.
Saltwater coming from mountain streams/brooks/rivers is "arguably, realistic"? Are you from the same planet as the rest of us?

And whips are great, but not that great.
Again I'm sure there are vast swathes of DF players who will agree with you when a single Goblin Lasher wipes out most of their military who are clad in full steel armour.

I've seen Mantis, but all software accumulates piles of bugs like that.  And lots of things are dupes, not reproduceable, etc.
Actually if you bothered looking you'd see that the admins like Footkerchief & Logical2U do quite well to keep on top of all the duplicates & non-reproducible reports but hey why bother using facts when you can just make shit up instead?
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:24:07 pm »

Please calm down in here.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 07:49:24 pm »

If you want this bug fixed, upload saves to DFFD.  Nobody has posted anything demonstrating a causative link between rotting clothes and lag, much less a save that'll allow Toady to fix the problem.

Actually if you bothered looking you'd see that the admins like Footkerchief & Logical2U do quite well to keep on top of all the duplicates & non-reproducible reports but hey why bother using facts when you can just make shit up instead?

I feel safe saying that 400+ of those 1800 reports will eventually be resolved as "duplicate," "no change required" or "unable to reproduce".  Many of them are obsolete, uncorroborated, got fixed silently sometime in the last year, or got left open despite being probable duplicates because of unclear root causes etc.  We're mostly on top of incoming reports, but the old stuff needs a lot of cleanup.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:56:18 pm by Footkerchief »

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »

LOL OK. FPS death isn't "that big a deal". I expect there's vast swathes of DF players who will completely agree with you.
Has anyone proven that this is lag caused by item ownership specifically and not by overall item count?  The latter is a big deal, and something I hope Toady addresses with a redesign some time soon (I think someone did some memory usage investigations that showed complete caching and uncaching of the entire object list very rapidly), but I do not think anyone has specifically identified owned but un-worn items as a cause of lag.

It shouldn't be that hard to test.  Get a fort with loads of clothes, note the overall item count, make two copies.  In one, mess with boiling points so that all cloth items instantly evaporate. Then check the item count again and use a custom reaction to spawn that many non-cloth items that are not owned by dwarfs - just spawn a few thousand rocks or something.  Then compare the FPS of both.

Assuming owned clothing was a significant fraction of overall items, this test will conclusively demonstrate that the bug you so vociferously claim is game-breaking is indeed so. And please don't take this as a hostile response - if you can demonstrate this bug is real I'll be the loudest voice claiming for a quick fix.  Just don't jump up and down shouting before you've proven it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7