Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pressure plates don't seem to be working  (Read 2328 times)

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure plates don't seem to be working
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:18:46 am »

Hello all. I'm still getting the hang of DF, so bear with me :)

I've been trying to set up a small 3x3 danger room for my dwarves to train in, with training spears and such. I've been trying to set it up to work with pressure plates that are about 15-25 blocks away from the danger room, in a busy hallway near my dining room. I've set up the pressure plates, linked them with my spear traps, and my dwarves merrily bring the required mechanisms to the trap and the plate, but after that, nothing happens.

I've set my traps to "Repeat" (as in it says Repeat, not "One use" or whatever else it is) and have the weight set to the defaults, with civilians enabled. I've set my military squad to train in the room (marked as a barracks). Every time my dwarves bring mechanisms to the plate and the trap, it seems like they just disappear, since nothing happens. I get no messages about the squad being poked by the spears, the spear trap icons do not change or anything, nothing happens (that I can see...).

So, am I doing something wrong? I'm not sure what else I could be doing to make this work.. :(

Thanks guys.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure plates don't seem to be working
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:20:59 am »

Hello all. I'm still getting the hang of DF, so bear with me :)

I've been trying to set up a small 3x3 danger room for my dwarves to train in, with training spears and such. I've been trying to set it up to work with pressure plates that are about 15-25 blocks away from the danger room, in a busy hallway near my dining room. I've set up the pressure plates, linked them with my spear traps, and my dwarves merrily bring the required mechanisms to the trap and the plate, but after that, nothing happens.

I've set my traps to "Repeat" (as in it says Repeat, not "One use" or whatever else it is) and have the weight set to the defaults, with civilians enabled. I've set my military squad to train in the room (marked as a barracks). Every time my dwarves bring mechanisms to the plate and the trap, it seems like they just disappear, since nothing happens. I get no messages about the squad being poked by the spears, the spear trap icons do not change or anything, nothing happens (that I can see...).

So, am I doing something wrong? I'm not sure what else I could be doing to make this work.. :(

Thanks guys.

Pressure plates basically don't work in current versions, from what I've been able to tell. They might work with fluids (I never use them for that) but with creatures it never seems to work right.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:42:58 am »

The default minimum weight is 500,000. Dwarves average size 60,000. There's your problem. Just mash the {e} key when choosing a trigger type to decrease it (absolute minimum is 10,000 - crundles, gnomes, that sort of thing).

I have pressure-plate operated goblin grinders (there's really no other way to do it) and have no problems with things not triggering them.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:21:41 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:13:24 am »

Fixed it! Thanks, Urist. I saw the default minimum was listed as 5000 and thought I was good, apparently not! Works great now, thank-you :)

hotcha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:38:51 am »

I seem to be getting a problem with mine still.  I've got the weight set to as low as possible, but i'm not seeing the spear trap moving like it used to... It was working in the last version, but in this version, in a new fortress, i can't seem to get them to function...

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20:58 am »

Pressure plates have a reset time, so for training rooms levers are better.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26:04 am »

side note - is it possible to change that default min and maxweight values so I don't have to set them manually for each plate?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:33:57 am »

No, but you can make a macro for it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 06:20:38 pm »

The more I see you mention them, the more I think to myself, "I really need to take the time to figure out the macros in DF." :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 08:39:37 pm »

The more I see you mention them, the more I think to myself, "I really need to take the time to figure out the macros in DF." :D

1. Press Control+R.
2. Do something.
3. Wait untill you need to do step two again.
4. Press Control+L.
5. Press Control+P.
6. Watch what you did in step two happen.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:03:24 pm »

2.5: Press ctrl+r again, followed by ctrl+s.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:10 pm »

For danger rooms I use a 1x4 room loaded with 10 training spears per tile. Takes significantly fewer training spears than a fully loaded 3x3, faster to set up, and dwarves seem to always end up within 4 tiles of wherever you tell them to go so it's big enough. (3x3 left me with some dwarves standing on the door.)

Then I just use a lever and set Pull the Lever on repeat.

Works great!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 09:12:16 pm »

I use a 3x3, one spear per trap, with a burrow for my dwarves to defend when their turn comes up.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 10:11:18 pm »

Oh. Right. Yes, this is also an important step.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:47 pm »

Oh. Right. Yes, this is also an important step.
Including the macro creation in your created macro would lead to some nicely recursive structures (if building) but would probably take over your embark unless you can interrupt it. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2