Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why would you Carve that?  (Read 2641 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Why would you Carve that?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 06:51:33 am »

On my last fort, I got somewhat lucky with my statues. I got quite a few of McMayor becoming Mayor, and McDoctor Dwarf, becomes Chief of Med.

So, I placed those statues in their office.

At the time, it seemed correct, in retrospect, it now seems a little narristic.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 07:29:38 am »

Next time you will know better. The statues of mayor are best placed in the bedrooms of each and every dwarf, so that they know he is always watching them. It makes them feel secure helps to keep the plebs in order.

BulMaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 10:07:23 am »

Next time you will know better. The statues of mayor are best placed in the bedrooms of each and every dwarf, so that they know he is always watching them. It makes them feel secure helps to keep the plebs in order.

Nah it has to be statue of the Baron since the mayor changes every year.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 09:25:50 pm »

It's strange really, but I almost never see these images; my engravers seem to prefer dwarves creating masterpieces or travelling, but mostly pictures of the local flora and fauna or the occasional still-life. Historical events hardly seem to get a look in. Is it related to usually getting besieged relatively late in the game, maybe?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 09:55:28 pm »

Could be worse.  Over half the engravings in all my nobles rooms is that of a dwarf, my first strange moody, killing himself because he couldn't create his artifact.  He pulled my death lever and fell a few Z-levels.  Luckily most of my, exceptional silver statues, were of my one armed, one eyed militia commander massacring goblins with an axe.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 10:11:07 pm »

Well, I was in luck.  My 20 statues included four of the dwarf god of wealth (don't remember the name).  Two of the statues were of the god scowling, and two were of the god looking pleased.  So ... I put the happy ones on either side of the trade depot area, and the two unhappy ones on either side of the exit from the trade depot.  Merchants come in, they see happy gods of wealth welcoming them.  When they leave, they see unhappy gods of wealth staring them down as they go. :)

I also got statues of a whale, a toad, a minotaur (traveling), a night creature (traveling), a forgotten beast (you guessed it ... travelling), three statues of dwarves laughing (two of which now decorate my hospital/dining hall), and the rest just generic stuff I can't remember the descriptions for.

I'm getting the feeling any engraving I order will include dwarves being crowned queen, scary monsters wandering the landscape, and with any luck elves being struck down by my militia commander (she got four of the ten kills in the first battle with the elves).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 12:26:00 am »

My engraver keeps engraving pictures of an elephant striking down a Dwarf all over the place. He's my favorite engraver ever.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

My engraver keeps engraving pictures of an elephant striking down a Dwarf all over the place. He's my favorite engraver ever.
Did he used to live at Boatmurdered? :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 03:49:42 pm »

Lucky bastards. My engravings are always...

1. Urist Mcnoble removed from his position and crying.

or

2 Cacame Mchippie-elf taming animal x.

With luck, I get pictures of battles against Pantwaxed the GCS or gorillas ripping magma men apart.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

Hah, my living quarters are even better than your dining room, they're positively coated in engravings of three things: "Zamoth Murderjoin" the werewolf, Bossu Shakentwilight the sasquatch, and Nino Splatteredrams, who was apparently the spouse of 'the wicked creature'.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 05:12:44 pm »

90% of my current engravings are of the human luto blowtoned and the hydra "the dawn sweats of somthing or other", relating to thier confrontation in year 1 (!) and the subsequent death of the human. seems this is the ONLY interesting thing to happen in my region before the arrival of my fort. The dawn sweats bones now adorn mugs i sell to anyone, but no-one engraves his death for some reason.
This is a blank sig.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 06:36:14 pm »

Maybe dwarven children grow up supporting cool forgotten beasts the way you'd support a football team. The mugs and such are merchandising so little Urist Junior can whine at his mother until she gets him one. Next up: weaving forgotten beast bed spreads and curtains. XD

I almost never get anything like that though. Even when I lost some miners to magma accidents the best I got was an engraving of them "withering away", not burning or screaming like the ones in Boatmurdered.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »

My engravings come in some variety.

a) Dragon killing Mr. xxx
b) Dragin frying Mr. xxx with dragonfire.
c) A circle.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 [2]