Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: 0.31.22 changelog(and discussion too, aparently)  (Read 6702 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31.22 changelog(and discussion too, aparently)
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »

You do know how a crutch is used, right?

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:52 pm »

Shouldn't it be on the side with the injury to support that side since it can't take weight, not on the opposite side that is fine?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »

I attempted to claim a honey badger.  Elven caravan appears on year 2 with a tame one.  I set up a 10 man wrestler team and gang up on the poor oxen, who proceeds to get his fat bruised while breaking hands.  I have failed...

You could have just bought it. It's an acceptable sacrifice for Science.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:48 pm »

I cannot find a good video, but I know I've seen people walking with the crutch on their good side, and there's actually a medical reason for it.  Something about the placement of weight and shoulder support, but most people just go with the bad-side.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 12:37:53 pm »

I cannot find a good video, but I know I've seen people walking with the crutch on their good side, and there's actually a medical reason for it.  Something about the placement of weight and shoulder support, but most people just go with the bad-side.

If you find the reason, I'd love to know.  I'll admit freely, I'm one of those people who has never broken a bone.  Putting it on the injured side seems logical but if there's a reason for the other, then no complaints here.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:24 pm »

I attempted to claim a honey badger.  Elven caravan appears on year 2 with a tame one.  I set up a 10 man wrestler team and gang up on the poor oxen, who proceeds to get his fat bruised while breaking hands.  I have failed...

That's kinda unneccessary... you could have simply bought it with junk.

You might want to try upping frequency of the badger to 100 and put up an outside stockpile surrounded with cage traps...

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 12:41:07 pm »

Makes sense to claim the badger.  Test out the animal and any mods and the health care all in one go.  :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

I think it's more based on using a cane, when the leg is intact but weak.  The idea is to have the cane and the bad foot hit the ground at the same time, with the cane on the good side taking some of the weight.  So, you're basically moving as a tripod, with the weight distributed between the bad leg and the cane.  For crutches, where any weight will disrupt the healing, or amputee/useless legs, then putting it bad-side is correct.

I think ultimately it's just the way DF assigns gear sometimes.  Left and right handedness aren't respected, as long as it's held.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 12:46:15 pm »

Makes sense.  Probably doesn't help he's got a crossbow in the right hand. 

Oh well, the important thing, at least dwarf injuries don't require magma anymore.

I think I'll make some soap next.  <_<

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:17 pm »

The best part is that now I can cheat it Adamantine Strands that will be stored as I say, not like 700000/15000(yes I'm a cheap bastard).
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 01:00:45 pm »

Oh the fact that they'd keep filling up just one item in a hospital zone, and your requirements bedamned?  I absolutely hated that.

Or do you have some sort of trickery for quasi-infinite adamantine?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 01:04:34 pm »

It appears that domestic injuries trigger a rest but no diagnosis.  I've got a weaponsmith in the hospital, resting on the ground, after a stray dog bit him at the wagon.  He has no dianosis requested and no injuries.  This is debatably WORSE than the leg injuries, because he suffered a single dog bite and took himself out of commission.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 01:13:06 pm »

Now the weaponsmith has gotten up and gone back to business as usual.  The others in the hospital haven't moved at all.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 01:13:41 pm »

Or do you have some sort of trickery for quasi-infinite adamantine?

Hello. I'm a dirty, dirty cheater. :P

Anyway, yes. The thing is that they'd store adamantine strands and cloth randomly, so I had to make a whole bunch before I could design a hospital.

Check the Cheating section of the wiki for an "How to smelt Adamantine out of thin air, among other things". Its cool :)

On a side note, about "quasi-infinite". I kept store of about 2000 adamantine at all times, while building a castle, outer walls, outer outer walls, corridor filled with traps and stuff like that. Did I mention that the traps are weapon traps filled with 10 adamantine serrated discs each?

Oh, the divinity...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:15:19 pm by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 01:17:09 pm »

I could just add in my "prospecting" adjustments to stone I threw in for .19.

I thought you had something specific for messing with the stocks and the subunits.

But yeah, stuff from nothing I'm familiar with.

Besides, by my definition, since the game is an alpha, and open ended, there is no cheating, the only rules are game mechanics and what I set for myself.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8