Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Existence of DF Talk (previously Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback)  (Read 21339 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Existence of DF Talk (previously Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback)
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »

I'm not the only one here who thinks you have an enormous ego, it looks. If I was alone at this I could think I was wrong. And then you accuse me of bullying people out of the FotF thread, as if I had the power to do this. As I said in another thread - if questions-suggestions were valid questions, Toady would answer them. Why Toady didn't answer most of your questions?  Because when they weren't wall-of-text lenght, they were disguised suggestions. Certainly I'm not the most polite of the forumites, but I think never anyone reported me for aggressive behaviour - at least I never was informed of any report. So calling me bully because I disagree with you is pretty harsh.

And then saying you have an enourmous ego is too harsh too?So prove me and others wrong, stop showing your discontent everywhere about Toady policy regarding suggestions and we can let this overblown quarrel finally settle.

Toady has answered most of my questions, actually.  You simply accuse the questions I have of being "disguised suggestions" out of spite.

Toady has also NEVER said anything even remotely approaching what you have said about the suggestions:

Suggestions forum only exist everywhere on game fora because regardless if the developers will read and use them or not, people will feel entitled to make them anyway. The "suggestions forum" is there so they don''t clutter the rest of the fora with their self-entitled right to make suggestions.

As Monk12 pointed out, Toady does read suggestions, and uses them.  It seems Toady's "policy regarding suggestions" is quite different from what you claim it is.

Now then, let's go back for a second...

NW_Kohaku instead of defending himself is attacking me, to the point of searching old quotes, and I am the bully here.

You see, this implies that this thread is supposed to be all about me "defending myself", so that you could jump in and join in on the attack (which somehow proves you aren't a bully), but the thing is that while this thread did start off with me saying a snide comment that caused a minor uproar, I did come back to it and admit it was wrong about my tone, and clarified that I never was talking about stopping DF Talk, and apologized. 

Now, you've never said anything that implied the least bit of change in your stance that, "The "suggestions forum" is there so they don''t clutter the rest of the fora with their self-entitled right to make suggestions."  You've made the extremely arrogant statement that anyone trying to comment on the game is doing so because of a "self-entitled right", while at the same time defending your bullying of other people in the FotF thread by saying you have

People have the right to speak up as I have the right to complain. Free of speech works in both ways.

::) So, you get to trash-talk anyone else, but if someone calls you on it, you play the "poor me" card and repeatedly wonder aloud why you would be called a bully?

Why is it, specifically, that my voicing my opinions or asking questions or making thoroughly laid out suggestions is indicative of an "enormous ego", while your continuous attacks on everyone else in the community somehow isn't?  Or do you simply think everyone who posts at all is a raging egomaniac?  After all, that's pretty much what you said about the entirity of the Suggestions Forum, a stance which you still back.

What an arrogant thing to say...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »

I think the funny thing is that everyone in here is making trash talk that sprung from opinions on what Toady does and does not do and how, and yet he is probably going to come in here and tell us all to amplify our relaxed statuses.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2011, 09:33:19 pm »

Leaving all the other arguments & conflicts aside, I admit that I prefer denser and more organized information sources.  Perhaps the best way to manage this would be if someone were to prepare TL;DR summaries of the DF Talks.  Of course, that posits the existence of some hypothetical "someone" who would do such a thing, which may doom that suggestion.  Not that there aren't people who do drudge-work for the sake of improving the game.  I don't think many people try to read books called "The Petrology of Sedimentary Rocks" for fun (and yes, I have been trying to read through it... I might revise my soil density model to give more realistic values).

That aside, I would not recommend discontinuing DF talk because it's evident that many people enjoy it, because it provides insight into what Toady is considering, and because it seems like Toady himself enjoys it.  It's very important that Toady do the things he enjoys, otherwise working on DF will turn into drudgery, and we'll all be in trouble.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2011, 09:44:18 pm »

Just wait till you have to spend significant amounts of time driving.  Driving can be so dull, but spending an hour and a half of it hearing Tarn, rainseeker, and capntastic make fun of each other and talk about DF goes by so quickly.  Even in this day and age, it's hard to find quality podcasts, but DF Talk delivers consistently.  Most gaming podcasts are run honestly by annoying nerds, but those three guys are actually cool and fun to listen to.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »

Just wait till you have to spend significant amounts of time driving.  Driving can be so dull, but spending an hour and a half of it hearing Tarn, rainseeker, and capntastic make fun of each other and talk about DF goes by so quickly.  Even in this day and age, it's hard to find quality podcasts, but DF Talk delivers consistently.  Most gaming podcasts are run honestly by annoying nerds, but those three guys are actually cool and fun to listen to.

I have 2 hours per day of commute, I'm just not in the habit of downloading podcasts to listen to during that time.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2011, 11:42:58 pm »

I have 2 hours per day of commute, I'm just not in the habit of downloading podcasts to listen to during that time.
I think GTM's enjoyment of podcasts while commuting is a good use of the commuting time! Would be like listening to talk back on the radio.

NW_Kohaku: The suggestions board is just that, suggestions. If you want more interaction or feedback than toady will provide you, maybe it's time to pick up your own project. You have some great ideas, I emplore you to start some programming of your own, it'll give you all the creative outlet you could want.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]