Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Existence of DF Talk (previously Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback)  (Read 21323 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Existence of DF Talk (previously Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback)
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 11:04:07 pm »

Semi-related, it would be nice if the transcripts were not bright white on a dark brown background.  Its a little hard on the eyes.

What do you consider a better color scheme?

Light color text over dark background is better for your eyes than black text on white backgrounds. 

Technically, the ideal color scheme is bright green on black, which is why old computers had that specific color scheme before we had multicolor monitors. 

If it's hard on your eyes, what you probably need is turning up the zoom - 150% or 200% works best.  I don't read the forum without at least 150% zoom.

The background on this forum is fine for me.  I think its mostly the high contrast that makes the transcript pages a little harsh.  Even with high-zoom I find it a little hard to read.  Could just be me though.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 11:49:57 pm »

Ah, so, it's the red-brown color, specifically, and not white text on dark backgrounds?

I'm not sure what your browser is, but there can be an option in some of them to set the background to certain colors.  You can do View->Style->High Contrast, for example.  I'm not sure how to do that on Firefox, or other browsers, however.

Other than that, you'd have to ask for a darker dark background.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 01:40:29 am »

Or copy paste transcript to text editor (my way to read it).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:03 am »

They're very hard to follow, and all the information is so vague as to be generally unreliable measures of anything.  They also don't really answer most questions, making the whole thing moot.

Welp, you can't please everybody!  Did we not ask your question?  Toady is THE BEST communicator as far as his game is concerned that I have ever met.  Also, I would like to remind you his game is FREE.  You have two good choices here: 

1. Go bug off, shut up, and don't listen.
2. Emulate Capn' and me and be a productive member of the community, along with many others here.

Oh, and what you're doing right now?  It's NOT number 2.

Wow. I just came into this thread, and jesus damn is this a surprising display of arrogance for someone who's ostensibly trying to provide a good example.

I understand Kohaku's complaints are a tad overblown (since there are plenty of other venues for what he wants), but you really come off as disingenuous in your posts here, almost like you're actually advertising for Toady, and it seems incredibly arrogant of you for your response to include something like "be more like me".

If you're going to tell people to be positive and productive, why not lay off the egotistical kneejerk reactions yourself, especially to people who are productive members of the community, and in some ways more productive than most of the rest of us.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 08:41:57 am »

They're very hard to follow, and all the information is so vague as to be generally unreliable measures of anything.  They also don't really answer most questions, making the whole thing moot.

Welp, you can't please everybody!  Did we not ask your question?  Toady is THE BEST communicator as far as his game is concerned that I have ever met.  Also, I would like to remind you his game is FREE.  You have two good choices here: 

1. Go bug off, shut up, and don't listen.
2. Emulate Capn' and me and be a productive member of the community, along with many others here.

Oh, and what you're doing right now?  It's NOT number 2.

Wow. I just came into this thread, and jesus damn is this a surprising display of arrogance for someone who's ostensibly trying to provide a good example.

I understand Kohaku's complaints are a tad overblown (since there are plenty of other venues for what he wants), but you really come off as disingenuous in your posts here, almost like you're actually advertising for Toady, and it seems incredibly arrogant of you for your response to include something like "be more like me".

If you're going to tell people to be positive and productive, why not lay off the egotistical kneejerk reactions yourself, especially to people who are productive members of the community, and in some ways more productive than most of the rest of us.

Don't feed NW_Kohaku ego.

Rainseeker just lost his mind. He is usualy a very calm and nice fellow here.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2011, 09:12:02 am »

eh? it's not like he is a troll, or anything, he is an active and productive member of the community who has been accused of, well, not beeing one. that accusation was not only unjust, it was also made in a tone that was offensive to the community in general, and as i stated before, i'm not even agreeing with nw_kohaku's points on the dftalk. i'm sure "rainseeker just lost his mind", and nobody is calling for a banhammer or anything, but his post bordered on flaming, and i atleast hope he's preparing an apology

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:24 am »

Where I come from, the appropriate response to almost all of this thread would be "QQ".

Seriously though, what's the big deal? This is an awesome game, it's awesome to listen to Tarn talk about his game, and it's awesome that we have various forums for people who don't want to listen to DFTalk.

We have several awesome co-hosts for an awesome podcast, who occasionally may lose their temper, just like the rest of us sometimes do.

And we also have some awesome contributing members of the community who occasionally may get upset about what they perceive as being a waste of time and blow their concerns out of proportion, just like the rest of us sometimes do.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 09:31:06 am »

eh? it's not like he is a troll, or anything, he is an active and productive member of the community who has been accused of, well, not beeing one. that accusation was not only unjust, it was also made in a tone that was offensive to the community in general, and as i stated before, i'm not even agreeing with nw_kohaku's points on the dftalk. i'm sure "rainseeker just lost his mind", and nobody is calling for a banhammer or anything, but his post bordered on flaming, and i atleast hope he's preparing an apology

Another one?  Why couldn't we focus Toady's responses to the fanbase in a more useful/readable format than DFTalk?

If I had the trouble and spent time editing a podcast for the enjoyment of the community, maybe I would react the same for this disdainful comment.

NW_Kohaku has pertinent and well-thought suggestions, but it looks like he expects Toady owes him attention for those threads. Toady's various remarks he reads the Suggestions boards isn't enough for him. That said, he IS a valuable member of the community, regardless of what Rainseeker said.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:48:10 am by thvaz »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 01:45:50 pm »

NW_Kohaku has pertinent and well-thought suggestions, but it looks like he expects Toady owes him attention for those threads. Toady's various remarks he reads the Suggestions boards isn't enough for him.

That's how I read it, too.  I can't fault people for wanting to be involved in development, but when you ask for direct, thoughtful feedback on your ideas, you're putting a serious drain on a developer who already spends huge amounts of time interacting with this community.  In general, lack of time is a much bigger problem for DF than lack of good ideas, and people should probably keep that in mind when seeking developer interaction.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 02:52:33 pm »

NW_Kohaku has pertinent and well-thought suggestions, but it looks like he expects Toady owes him attention for those threads. Toady's various remarks he reads the Suggestions boards isn't enough for him.

That's how I read it, too.  I can't fault people for wanting to be involved in development, but when you ask for direct, thoughtful feedback on your ideas, you're putting a serious drain on a developer who already spends huge amounts of time interacting with this community.  In general, lack of time is a much bigger problem for DF than lack of good ideas, and people should probably keep that in mind when seeking developer interaction.

I don't expect much feedback, no more than I expect anyone else to get, at least, and generally try to use the channels I use in limited quantities to get what I can get.  I ask questions mostly to get a feel for what he is trying to do, and questions for what he is willing or unwilling to put into his game so that I can try to make a suggestion that supports, rather than contradicts his vision, and I do keep those things in mind and limit myself, however verbose I may be, otherwise.

And, for that matter, I try to rely upon old scraps of information, or what Toady has said in the past (although he obviously will change his mind after a few years of working), which is mostly what my relationship with DF Talk has been - trying to come up with search terms in them to find the useful fragments of information on a given topic.  FotF or other forum responses or ThreeToe stories are much denser sources of information than DF Talk is.  What makes it annoying is that I can't just NOT search those sources, either.

So yes, I like the ways Toady communicates, but I'd really prefer he focus more on the forms of communication that are easier to search for, whether they are my questions or not.  Forcing answers to questions about suggestions off of the forums, and into emails is therefore depriving the rest of the community of those answers.  It answers one person's question, but odds are with suggestions, many people are going to come up with the same questions.  It's much simpler when we have a statement from Toady that we can search for and point to that says "yes, he's talked about exploding barrels, but you're almost certainly not going to see guns in vanilla".

For that, DF Talk is not as useful as a forum post, and people might never know an email was answered at all.

EDIT:
The questions I ask in the FotF thread, and their responses, are there for everyone to see.  Oftentimes, people will comment on and express interest in those questions I asked.  I also read every question answered, since I can generally find at least one question that provokes an interesting response.

Thvaz may want to insinuate some selfish motive to this, since he's expressed contempt for the people who asked questions in the FotF thread before, and generally tried to bully people out of the thread, but it is no such thing.  I push back against that drive to throw people out of the thread whether it was against my questions, or against the questions of others.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:19:33 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 06:17:25 pm »

Thvaz may want to insinuate some selfish motive to this, since he's expressed contempt for the people who asked questions in the FotF thread before, and generally tried to bully people out of the thread, but it is no such thing.  I push back against that drive to throw people out of the thread whether it was against my questions, or against the questions of others.

I'm not the only one with this oppinion of you, so maybe you should re-evaluate your attitude. I do not try to bully people of the Fotf thread, regardless of what you think. I just fear that one day Toady may get fed up with answering valid questions because people are trying to push their agenda there.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 08:28:05 pm »

I'm not the only one with this oppinion of you, so maybe you should re-evaluate your attitude. I do not try to bully people of the Fotf thread, regardless of what you think. I just fear that one day Toady may get fed up with answering valid questions because people are trying to push their agenda there.

Yeah, NW_Kohaku, while I regard you as a good fellow DF player and I think you have some interesting things to say I gotta agree with most here in that I think you have a pretty overblown ego when it comes to these things. Just sayin'.

Although I partially agree with you on the first thing you said though: I like the DFTalks but I would prefer Toady just answer questions and stuff. Rainseeker's right too in that if we genuinely complain we're complaining about a guy who does this all for free. But we get a FoTF answer from him like once a month  :-\

Oh well.

EDIT:

I'm still processing the fact that Rainseeker blew his top, regardless of the topic. I've never seen him do that before  :o
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:29:59 pm by freeformschooler »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2011, 06:37:53 am »

NW_Kohaku: To be honest, I don't know how you even expect Toady to read your suggestions. Judging by the length of your threads and posts, it would probably take almost as much time as reading and responding to the rest of the suggestions forum as a whole.

I do admit I'd like the DF talks to be perhaps a bit more directed or probing, considering how long they are for the content they contain, but I can't really complain, because Toady gives a lot more feedback than most people in his position would, and in a few places, and has generally responded to e-mails and PMs in my experience as well (not that I suggest PMing him every time you have something to say about the game).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2011, 08:41:29 am »

(first of all I don't actually listen to DF Talk. I've tried a few times, but I guess I just don't have the patience for this kind of thing. I like the development page on the website or the FotF thread with Toadys written answers more. So I could be wrong about some of its aspects)

It's merely that I don't think we should be continuing to tell people to take their questions to DF Talk all the time whenever they try to ask questions in other places.

This. I don't think that the users that asked questions via email are the ones that write stuff like:
Love these.
I was actually sad when they stopped being a regular thing. Now that it looks like they will be more regular, my sadness is appeased.
(that's just an assumption from me, correct me if otherwise)

I see DF Talk more like a possibility for Toady to talk about his "vision" of Dwarf Fortress and a specific topic that is determined by the "mood" of the community (which expresses itself in the questions in the emails). But as far as I see it, Toady doesn't answer those questions specificly, he just talks about the topic, which, this time, was taverns.
Now Kohaku (and maybe other people?) sees the Talks more like a question/answer thing similar to the FotF thread (maybe because he is (as he said) told to write his suggestions/questions in the emails?) which they aren't.

The DF Talk system would IMO work way better if people wouldn't write questions to Toady in the emails. Instead they should tell him, what topic they would like to know more about (maybe through a poll?). You know, like "hm, I've a very specific question about egg laying [like this one] but I want to hear more about the general future of Taverns, so I vote taverns as the next DF Talk topic and write my question in the FotF thread".

Also, not native english speaker here, so sorry if the phrasing is a bit weird.

Edit: Well I just saw that there's a "Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion" thread over there. The first reply shows quite perfectly how I meant it. Those questions are very general and the answer would take a huge wall of text to write if it would be written down, but if Toady talks about it he can provide an answer in like, 3 minutes. It may not be that clear and excact, but you get a good impression about the plans for the game.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:50:45 am by chewie »

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2011, 09:41:39 am »

Also, not native english speaker here, so sorry if the phrasing is a bit weird.

Your English is better than a lot of native speakers I know, mine included :)

Also, I agree with your sentiments.  I've never viewed DFT as a QA session but more of them just chatting about general things in the game and the direction stuff is headed. And a popular subject is chosen and used.

I like it.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6