Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Existence of DF Talk (previously Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback)  (Read 21306 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

The twelfth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  There was an inn discussion, some Q&A and a kind of retrospective on DF development and other goings on.  I think my mic should finally be adjusted properly for next time.  This time we still had to adjust the levels a bit afterward.  We should also be listed on iTunes now for people that have asked for that, though it might take a bit to show up in searches.  http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dwarf-fortress-talk/id427145565

Ask questions via email (see this thread)!

edit: The transcripts by mallocks have been posted, available at the DF Talk page or here: Transcript
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:12:16 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #12: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:16:48 am »

Sounds great to me.

Edit: I think I may have heard the occasional beard-mic interaction, but that kind of thing just adds character.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:36:29 am by ahonek »

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:24:21 am »

Thank you so much! Old bugs were defiantly on the menu.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:35:23 am »

Well, there goes any chance of me catching up on vector spaces this afternoon.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:23:08 pm »

Another one?  Why couldn't we focus Toady's responses to the fanbase in a more useful/readable format than DFTalk?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »

Another one?  Why couldn't we focus Toady's responses to the fanbase in a more useful/readable format than DFTalk?

I'm not sure how Dwarf Fortress Talk isn't useful. I have listened to each one at least twice and there's still more information for me to get from them.
It's a window into the goals and motivations of the game designer, by allowing him to talk about his passion. I love DFTalk.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:48:42 pm »

The replies in FoTF are useful, but hearing Toady talk freely about his plans instead of focusing on specific questions (except in the forum questions section of course) is really refreshing. It always reminds me of the big picture of DF development I'm so prone to forgetting.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »

I was actually sad when they stopped being a regular thing. Now that it looks like they will be more regular, my sadness is appeased.

Also, I really enjoyed this one, but I have to listen to it again because I got busy doing things and zoned out in a couple of sections.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »

Love these.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:21:07 pm »

I'm not sure how Dwarf Fortress Talk isn't useful. I have listened to each one at least twice and there's still more information for me to get from them.
It's a window into the goals and motivations of the game designer, by allowing him to talk about his passion. I love DFTalk.

They're very hard to follow, and all the information is so vague as to be generally unreliable measures of anything.  They also don't really answer most questions, making the whole thing moot.

Listening to someone shooting the shit might be funny or something to some, but it's not a good source of information, especially when it's so hard to discern.  I generally have to wait for the transcripts to even be able to read it, and even then, it's not an easy read in the least.  I've never even had the stamina to finish one - it's too rambling and disorganized and painful to sit through. 

Every single one of the written interviews, FotF thread responses, emails, or even things like IRC are much better for understanding Toady's viewpoint and the direction of the game than DFTalk. I really hope that if Toady wants to step up communicating with the community, he chooses a better method than DFTalk.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:25:07 pm »

I love DFTalk. Don't stop doing them.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 02:30:35 pm »

Well, I like the podcast too!  Let's try to stay positive, shall we?  Our goal is to continue the podcast.  If there are specific areas of the podcast that could be made better, those comments are absolutely welcome.  If you just don't like it as a whole for whatever reason, just don't listen.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 02:32:53 pm »

They're very hard to follow, and all the information is so vague as to be generally unreliable measures of anything.  They also don't really answer most questions, making the whole thing moot.

Listening to someone shooting the shit might be funny or something to some, but it's not a good source of information, especially when it's so hard to discern.  I generally have to wait for the transcripts to even be able to read it, and even then, it's not an easy read in the least.  I've never even had the stamina to finish one - it's too rambling and disorganized and painful to sit through. 

Every single one of the written interviews, FotF thread responses, emails, or even things like IRC are much better for understanding Toady's viewpoint and the direction of the game than DFTalk. I really hope that if Toady wants to step up communicating with the community, he chooses a better method than DFTalk.

The loose and casual nature of the podcasts is part of what makes them so good. It's not quite the same to hear prepared answers or whatever, because even though they may be more technically informative, you never get to see past the "official plan" onto what the developers really think.

Would you prefer Toady produce white papers on the game? Maybe some design documents, and make an official press release?

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty confident that a large majority of the fans and donors like DFTalk, and don't want it to go anywhere. I sure don't.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 02:38:57 pm »

Welp, you can't please everybody!  Did we not ask your question?  Toady is THE BEST communicator as far as his game is concerned that I have ever met.  Also, I would like to remind you his game is FREE.  You have two good choices here: 

1. Go bug off, shut up, and don't listen.
2. Emulate Capn' and me and be a productive member of the community, along with many others here.

Oh, and what you're doing right now?  It's NOT number 2.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:03:36 pm »

I can see where Kohaku is coming from - podcasts (or video interviews, or narrated video walkthroughs) are inefficient for the amount of content they do provide, it's easy to mishear things so that sometimes you have to listen to it multiple times, it's easy to get distracted while listening as the podcasts, and you get the speaking habits of the speakers. DF Talk is really the only podcast that I listen to, and I love listening to it, since I feel that it emphasizes the strengths of the format, among them the ability to add in the occasional auditory "gag".

(Maybe I'm an old fogey, but I don't see much of an appeal in listening to people noticeably untrained in speaking (or a yeller like Mark Rosewater) when I could read what they have to say with less loading time and more
clarity.)

This particular episode has me much more eager about the upcoming tavern/inn releases, though I doubt that the wide-ranging plans will all go in. And on the topic of dare drinks, I'm wondering whether civs could recognize drinks with mild, non-lethal syndromes as potential dare drinks on their own, and whether they recognize that, say, dwarves are immune or susceptible to certain "dare drinks"...

Also, I found out that my pronunciation of recipe was completely wrong. :-[
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6