Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Thrace Total War (a Rome TW LP)  (Read 7090 times)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
Thrace Total War (a Rome TW LP)
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:31:00 am »

290 BC

World Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Greek people were once a mighty nation, comprised of scholars and warriors. While under the thumb of Alexander III of Macedon, they nearly conquered everything before them. Nations cowered before the might of the Macedonian Empire as they slaughtered across the far east. The East was reborn through Hellenistic culture and Alexander

And yet it all counts for naught. The death of Alexander saw the Macedonian empire fragment and grow weak. The various cities of Greek broke away from Macedon and established themselves as independent from their former conquerors.

This is not a tale of Greece though. This is a tale of the mighty Thracian people, a nation of warriors considered barbarians by the Greeks and Macedonians and yet prized for their ferocity and strength of arms. However they are no longer under the dominion of the Macedonian Empire, instead they have become a nation to be feared as they will no longer remain content with being so small.

It is time for the Thracians to rise. And let the gods themselves tremble before them.[/i]

To the south lies the city of Byzantium and the pathetic Macedonian and Greek nations, to our west lies the barbaric Dacians and to our north are the horse loving Scythians. Byzantium will be helpful as a stronghold so that we can push into the lands of our former conqueror and eventually test our strength against the Spartans, the only warriors worth noting amongst the Greeks.

The Conquest of Byzantium

--------------------------------------------------

So where to next? Do we head towards Macedonia and the Greek Cities? Across the sea to Armenia and Pontus? To the west so that we can cut a bloody swathe through the Barbarians? North to Scythia and Parthia?

Also, if you want to be Thraced then go wild. We have fairly poor cavalry so that's just a heads up. Mercenaries are fine though and we can easily equal the Macedonians by picking some up.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:58:35 pm by Untouchable »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Thrace Total War (a Rome TW LP)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:43:11 am »

I would like a few Hopilite Mercs if you don't mind.   I vote take out the Macedonians, they are overly arrogant and likely think the proud thacian's will be overcome easily.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:13:46 am »

I say sweep south and take over the Aegean.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:37:03 am »

Thrace me! I shall command an army which smites the Macedonians with our manliness and bare chests!
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »

What is your best heavy infantry?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »

What is your best heavy infantry?

At the moment, our best is the Falxmen which is essentially my basic. However, the best that can be recruited are the Bastarnae who are pretty much murder incarnate on the battlefield.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »

Can I get the Heir to the throne?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:00 pm »

Can I get the Heir to the throne?

OF COURSE!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:55 pm »

Say, this reminds me to update Greece: Total War.

At least, if I didn't have all this work to do.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 06:25:58 pm »

Vanilla? Oh bloody hell I really need to start a Europa Barbarorum AAR one of these days.

Also JPEG > PNG at least for large images.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »

Vanilla? Oh bloody hell I really need to start a Europa Barbarorum AAR one of these days.

Also JPEG > PNG at least for large images.

Unfortunately, I just realized that they were kinda blurry just now. I'll fix that up after the next battle though so it should be fine. Also, Fraps loves to make screenshots as large in size as possible.

-Thraced-

~KaguroDraven- I don't have any mercenary hoplites yet but I do have a decent sized mob of militia hoplites that are in the army attacking Macedonia if you want them. I should be able to get some mercenary hoplites soon though.

~Burnt Pies- Yup, you are the general leading an army of nearly 1000 Thracians. I think anyone would wet themselves when opposed with that.

~Sheb- Currently chilling in Campus Getae. I suspect that the Scythians will want to start a war soon though.

~~~~~And now on with the show!~~~~~

Sheb was always more of a politician than his father King Sautes. He had always stated that; while the sword was a mighty weapon, the mind was even greater. He established trade relations with the Scythians and Dacians, knowing that the wildmen would betray him whenever they pleased but also that he could make some money from them before such an incident.

He also sent a diplomat to get in contact with the rebel armies that inhabited the area around Bylazora.  A little bit of gold and some choice words were more than enough to obtain nearly 300 men that had fought off the army from Bylazora only days before.

And now it was time for the fun to commence. The first to fall would be Bylazora.

-------------------------------------The taking of Bylazora-----------------------------------------

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »

You should have left a phalanx of militia hoplites at the gate. That way, they would have held off the Macedonians until you could ready your troops for an attack.

Other than that, keep up the good work! (Damn Macedonians)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »

I'll wait until you have some Merc Hopilites. Hopefully atleast 2 groups of them under my command.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 05:28:50 am »

Can we bring WAR to the dacians?

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 05:36:35 am »

Can we bring WAR to the dacians?

Soon enough. Perhaps it might be a policy of Sheb the heir.
Pages: [1] 2 3