Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF reference  (Read 5162 times)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF reference
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:55:25 pm »

Say, I've been reading a webcomic called "Hitmen for Destiny" and I think there's a dwarf fortress reference in it. Check the page named "Dwarves and Dwarfism".

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: DF reference
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:57:29 pm »

Why make a thread if you can't even find it within yourself to link it?

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:53:31 am »

I took the sad task of looking this up myself, and it's worse than I ever could have imagined.  Do not, under any circumstances, click on any link that might reference this web "comic."

I managed to wade through three of them after the aforementioned "Dwarves and Dwarfism" episode, looking for what could have been some kind of sly reference.  Aside from the word "marmot" (not even "hoary marmot"), and the fact that the dwarves featured were quite mad, not a sniff.

Worse is, when I get to that third one, I see these dwarves live in wooden huts-- in a little above-ground village!

I have no idea if this is just something that Dwarf Fortress does to people's minds, like some kind of memetic prion turning semantic processing into the psychological equivalent of swiss cheese, but not all dwarves (even clearly insane ones) are Dwarf Fortress dwarves!  It's getting worse than the "All Dwarves are Scottish" trope.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:03:59 am »

But.. All dwarves are Scottish.  :o

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:04:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:37:19 am »

Just once I'd like to see a fantasy story that makes them, like, Japanese or something for no reason.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 02:54:15 am »

LIES!
The ones in Dragon Age are quite clearly American Vikings with a Hinduesq Caste system.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:43:57 am »

O-M-G! Guise check diz out! Clearly a derp fort ripoff! It haz derps and elves and goblins and all! Deyz elvz live in de forrests.

>>>> Here! <<<<

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 05:36:17 am »

O-M-G! Guise check diz out! Clearly a derp fort ripoff! It haz derps and elves and goblins and all! Deyz elvz live in de forrests.

>>>> Here! <<<<
There are only two times I can think of that someone on the Bay12 forums has accused something of being a "Dwarf Fortress ripoff". One was an ASCII game that was directly inspired by the gameplay in Dwarf Fortress (according to the developer himself), and the other was not only a ripoff, but was directly reverse-engineering DF's code. Not only that, but this thread is the only example I can think of for someone seeing DF references where they obviously aren't. Well, except this one.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:09:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure there have been plenty of folks that have seen pink dwarves dancing around all over the place. Can't recall where, how or what thread though.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 01:16:02 pm »

>>>> Here! <<<<
There are only two times I can think of that someone on the Bay12 forums has accused something of being a "Dwarf Fortress ripoff". One was an ASCII game that was directly inspired by the gameplay in Dwarf Fortress (according to the developer himself), and the other was not only a ripoff, but was directly reverse-engineering DF's code.
Can't see why you'd attack the former though.

And yeah, every high-fantasy creation has a number of rabid fans who apparently have never heard of writers like Tolkien and claim every other high-fantasy is a rip-off.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:31:41 pm »

And yeah, every high-fantasy creation has a number of rabid fans who apparently have never heard of writers like Tolkien and claim every other high-fantasy is a rip-off.
I'm not attacking it at all, I'm just saying that people were right to suspect that it was a "ripoff", since it was directly inspired by DF. They were still wrong to call it a ripoff, but at least they were looking in the right place.

I've heard of people acting surprised when they find out that their favorite show/book/game's plot or setting isn't as original as they thought, but high fantasy is a genre. People aren't that stupid.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 01:32:54 pm »

LIES!
The ones in Dragon Age are quite clearly American Vikings...

???

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 01:56:39 pm »

I'm not attacking it at all, I'm just saying that people were right to suspect that it was a "ripoff", since it was directly inspired by DF. They were still wrong to call it a ripoff, but at least they were looking in the right place.

I've heard of people acting surprised when they find out that their favorite show/book/game's plot or setting isn't as original as they thought, but high fantasy is a genre. People aren't that stupid.
That was an indefinite 'you'.

Also, yes, people are that stupid. Although in all fairness high-fantasy is, generally speaking, copycatting disguised as a genre. What the fanboys get confused about is who is ripping off who.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »

That was an indefinite 'you'.

Also, yes, people are that stupid. Although in all fairness high-fantasy is, generally speaking, copycatting disguised as a genre. What the fanboys get confused about is who is ripping off who.
Ah. Easy to get those mixed up in text form. :) Strictly speaking, though, fantasy shouldn't be a genre at all. Narrative genres are grouped by the emotions they are meant to invoke (drama, comedy, etc.) Fantasy is just a setting. One that's been generic for the most part since Tolkien laid down the law last century.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: [1] 2