Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Map with no ore  (Read 3487 times)

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Map with no ore
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:50:39 pm »

Well, I used dfreveal component of LNP from 31.21 package and found out that almost every embark I did choose one after one contains no ore at all. some gold nuggets and raw adamantine leading straight to demons. Layers and layers of useless rock. Does that happen often?
Maybe I should use higher than Sparse option for minerals when create worlds? Cause DF has so many metals and all other stuff, but all I get is rock-rock-rock, while my useless pieces of nobility demand billon, pewter, nickel and zinc items to be made. ((

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Map with no ore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:11:27 pm »

Yeah, the sparce setting is... Sparce.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:11:49 pm »

This started to appear in the latest versions (31.19 and newer I think). Increasing the amount of minerals in world generation (like you mentioned) is probably a good idea if you want to be able to find them more frequently.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:39:54 pm »

Pretty much this. When it says sparce, it isn't kidding around.
Memento Mori

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:13:33 pm »

I kind of like finding sites with very deep soil, no metals to speak of, clay, sand and flux. I can scrounge up steel from the dwarven caravan, and I can carve out a massive fortress without veins of minerals ruining the aesthetics of it. It also forces me to get crafty with traps until I have a good military.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:30 pm »

Pretty much this. When it says sparce, it isn't kidding around.

Yeah, that sparce option, it's serious.

(Just to make sure, you do both realize that you misspelled 'sparse'?)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:48:57 pm »

Oh dear, I may have set my map to this since it's the default. D=

Can I check that, somehow?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 02:25:31 am »

Time to churn out -stone mugs- by the hundred to sell to the dwarven caravan for steel bars, pig iron bars and other steel construction products.

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 04:37:24 am »

I don't like trading in this game. I think caravan is too generous thing. After you started the mass-production of mugs all your problems are solved. My farmers become 'rusty and very rusty' growers cause I buy all plants at caravans. You really don't need loom and all the tricks with giant spiders, cause every year caravan brings you new bins full of thread and cloth for any of your needs (and we dont mention nude dwarwes and uselessness of clothes for now). Same goes to leather... And after 20 years of exporting mugs even the stupidest merchant will start buying them 1 buck for 3 instead of 50 bucks for 1.

I think my civilization is SWARMED with my fortress' mugs... trading should be more real, like in old good space-sims like Elite where prices change from time to time and after few years of trading one mineral price goes down since you filled the market with it. Something like this...

thats why I don't like trading in DF, all I produce is mugs.. thats boring.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:39:37 am by Lesseps »

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 05:37:45 am »

Good thing Toady is busily overhauling trading then, Lesseps. :)

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:51:18 am »

I find that they bring me cloth and never thread.  My weavers make exceptional cloth so why would I want cheap rubbishy Dwarf cloth?  I like the leather they bring though.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 06:18:48 am »

I find that they bring me cloth and never thread.  My weavers make exceptional cloth so why would I want cheap rubbishy Dwarf cloth?  I like the leather they bring though.
The threads are usually a bit further down from the cloth, and not in bins. From what I've seen there's usually not that many of them though.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 06:24:38 am »

They should bring more threads if you tell them that you want to pay a lot for these.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 06:51:35 am »

By the way new embark screen is so confusing. All these 'deep metal' 'shallow metal'.... how do you find sedimentary layers now? It was so useful befor, when few levels of stone and ore was shown. Like rock salt etc...

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:09 am »

Well, to be fair, unless you have telepathic dwarves, there shouldn't be a way of knowing what is there until you dig for it. I think it gives more information than it should, so im grateful for that it gives.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.
Pages: [1] 2