Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Public transport  (Read 2007 times)

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Public transport
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:41:54 am »

When I saw the mine carts on the development page I wondered if we could use said carts to move dwarfs from one part of the fort to another in a small amount of time.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Public transport
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:11 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr45DmZDjSc Yesyesyespleasepleaseplease!

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:39:09 pm »

Maybe have one cart powered by burning charcoal or have a magma/water boiler system.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »

Try to stick to the "fantasy" theme please, not the "cheap imitation of the 20th century" theme, please.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:24:45 pm »

I dunno, considering the rest, like the accuracy of steel casting, the way beehives work, kaolinite for porcelain, and the other factual-based things, I'd say that accurately powered steam engine would fit the theme.  That being said, steam engines are enormous, and if an Oregon-trail style wagon is 3x3, then a train engine...  Regardless, I don't expect to see a "conventional" steam engine anytime soon, but some rough, dwarfy approximation I could see rather easily.  Not to mention manual power, like a use for oxen.

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:27:39 pm »

I dunno, considering the rest, like the accuracy of steel casting, the way beehives work, kaolinite for porcelain, and the other factual-based things, I'd say that accurately powered steam engine would fit the theme.  That being said, steam engines are enormous, and if an Oregon-trail style wagon is 3x3, then a train engine...  Regardless, I don't expect to see a "conventional" steam engine anytime soon, but some rough, dwarfy approximation I could see rather easily.  Not to mention manual power, like a use for oxen.

Steam engines have been around for thousands of years, only in the 18th century we have began to use it on mine carts.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:29:29 pm »

Steam? That's not dwarven enough for our mine carts anyway.

We'll tame dragons and tie them in front of our carts. Burn clean the path to the mines of the dwarves! Show our might to the elven scum!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:42:53 pm »

No steampunk, but I do support readily available wagons that can be constructed for transportation uses.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:11:38 pm »

a 5x5 structure that consumes coal/wood, and requires access to water, and produces mechanical power would be a starting point...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:22:10 pm »

Steam engines have been around for thousands of years, only in the 18th century we have began to use it on mine carts.

No, they haven't. Nor is an aeolipile a "steam engine" (in the sense that it didn't, well, do anything; you might as well compare paper airplanes to real ones).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:47:19 pm »

No, they haven't. Nor is an aeolipile a "steam engine" (in the sense that it didn't, well, do anything; you might as well compare paper airplanes to real ones).

An Aeolipile is an steam engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_steam_engine for more info.

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:56:23 pm »

An Aeolipile is an steam engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_steam_engine for more info.

Just face it. He doesn't like you, and he didn't like bioshock.
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 11:05:03 pm »

Just face it. He doesn't like you, and he didn't like bioshock.

Hey don't be pickin on no bioshock now.... those little girls gave me nightmares for WEEKS. ::shudder::
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 06:43:22 am »

I don't think you're reading me properly. The steam engine did not perform work. It was just an amusement; it spun around, and that was it. Again, it was a "steam engine" in the same sense in which a paper airplane is actually an airplane; it sort-of-demonstrates a principle without applying it to anything.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 10:42:50 am »

It could have been applied, albeit not very well.  You might get a good 5-10 units of power from an aeolipile, but I think those -could- be used elsewhere.  Perhaps as a mist generator?  Urist McDwarf has been comforted by gentle steam lately? 
Pages: [1] 2