Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Aurora - Semi-LP?  (Read 9243 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - Semi-LP?
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2011, 02:28:31 pm »

His cargo ships are already using commercial engines.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2011, 02:41:35 pm »

Also, you should give comercial engine to your colony ship.
And cargo ship.

Also, your colony ships are quite a bit on the slim side. You might want to add more cryro so you get more for each trip.

Cargo does have commercial.....
And ya, that colony was my first one but I think I have a few so, they are ok for a while anyway.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2011, 07:25:35 pm »

Also, you should give comercial engine to your colony ship.
And cargo ship.

Also, your colony ships are quite a bit on the slim side. You might want to add more cryro so you get more for each trip.
And survey ship. In fact, unless you really need a ship to use military drives, use the commercial ones. They have a much bigger endurance (they are 10 times as efficient as a equivalent military drive), and with fewer components in the ship, I believe it will have less failure chance, and therefore can work longer times without a resupply if they are technically classified as a military ship. Save military drives for ships where the power per pound is important, such as warships.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2011, 07:34:04 pm »

If you use military drives you can get tiny extremely fast survey ships. Fuel is rarely a problem, and maintenance isn't an issue if you have a supply ship nearby.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2011, 08:31:16 pm »

Commercial Drive = NO maintenance issues.

The maintenance mechanics simply don't apply to vessels that have commercial drives.  And once a ship is a few years old, this advantage is HUGE.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2011, 08:32:29 pm »

Commercial Drive = NO maintenance issues.

The maintenance mechanics simply don't apply to vessels that have commercial drives.  And once a ship is a few years old, this advantage is HUGE.
Yes, I know what a commercial drive means. It is a nonissue so long as you keep the ships supplied, however, and they are much smaller and faster this way.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2011, 08:37:44 pm »

And speed is important when you come across a bunch of angry aliens with no guns on your ships.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2011, 08:38:24 pm »

Actually, I was addressing the following:

And survey ship. In fact, unless you really need a ship to use military drives, use the commercial ones. They have a much bigger endurance (they are 10 times as efficient as a equivalent military drive), and with fewer components in the ship, I believe it will have less failure chance, and therefore can work longer times without a resupply if they are technically classified as a military ship.

I wanted to clear up that the failure chance is not changed for commercial drives, but instead totally removed as a factor.

Forsaken1111, having read your LP, I know that you know what commercial drives are.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2011, 09:01:18 pm »

Ahh ok. Anyway my point was that using military drives is only slightly more inconvenient, and gives you much more speed due to the weight saving. I agree that commercial drives should be used for things like freighters or colony ships though. Especially freighters that travel long routes with no support nearby.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:58 pm »

And survey ship. In fact, unless you really need a ship to use military drives, use the commercial ones. They have a much bigger endurance (they are 10 times as efficient as a equivalent military drive), and with fewer components in the ship, I believe it will have less failure chance, and therefore can work longer times without a resupply if they are technically classified as a military ship.

I wanted to clear up that the failure chance is not changed for commercial drives, but instead totally removed as a factor.

Forsaken1111, having read your LP, I know that you know what commercial drives are.
In some cases, no. If the ship has some other component classified as military, it still gets maintenance problems. In such cases, I think commercial engines reduce failure rate because you'd need less total components, even if the weight more.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2011, 09:10:00 pm »

In some cases, no. If the ship has some other component classified as military, it still gets maintenance problems. In such cases, I think commercial engines reduce failure rate because you'd need less total components, even if the weight more.
As far as I know maintenance failure rate is a straight calculation based on what % of the ship's weight is engineering spaces.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2011, 01:22:52 am »

Far as I know the sensor ships cantr have commercial drives, due to having sensors on(military equip?) I tried upon creation.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2011, 01:27:19 am »

Far as I know the sensor ships cantr have commercial drives, due to having sensors on(military equip?) I tried upon creation.
Grav survey sensors are classified as military equipment but you can still put commercial drives on them. They just won't be considered commercial ships for maintenance purposes.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2011, 01:59:13 am »

I'll try again then, but only when I upgrade the class. Changing the engine cause bay121ers have OCD is denied by teh emperor.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2011, 02:06:00 am »

The biggest reason I use commercial drives for my survey ships is so they can use a commercial jump tender.  I (personally) don't consider speed a useful trait on my survey vessels, and often use cheap thermal drives on them even after faster alternatives have been researched.  I'm still able to chart out new systems far faster than my industry and population growth can exploit.  YMMV of course.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11