Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Aurora - Semi-LP?  (Read 9272 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - Semi-LP?
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 02:31:11 am »

Theodolus, there is a Biology/Genetics specialization for scientists that allow you to research modification to your species, to make them able to live on low gravity, cold world for exemple.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2011, 04:50:04 pm »

If you create any kind of salvage ship or mining ship, crewman Binwin Bingington IV will take the helm!

The class for the mining ship should be called Jupiter.  The ship should be called, "Red Dwarf".
And it will be staffed by a moody hologram, a cat dancer, and a hapless crewman?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2011, 07:19:16 pm »

I propose that our future Mainline Battleships should be very maneuverable and packed with as many weapons as possible while mantaining maneuverablity.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2011, 07:20:52 pm »

I propose that our future Mainline Battleships should be very maneuverable and packed with as many weapons as possible while mantaining maneuverablity.
Uh, maneuverability? What maneuverability? You mean speed?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2011, 07:33:03 pm »

Yes, speed and the ability to move well in general. I perfer dodging over blocking.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »

Yes, speed and the ability to move well in general. I perfer dodging over blocking.
There's no dodging in this game.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:52 pm »

As in, moving out of the way of a shot to not get hit by it.

Certainly, there has to be that.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2011, 07:39:53 pm »

As in, moving out of the way of a shot to not get hit by it.

Certainly, there has to be that.
Nope. No such thing when 1000km/s is slow in this game.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2011, 07:51:36 pm »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2011, 07:55:22 pm »

Oh really?
Yes, really. There is no dodging in this game. Only missing. Ships don't dodge out of the way, the enemies and enemy missiles just miss.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2011, 07:57:23 pm »

Blarg. Then make it small so things miss it a lot.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:43 pm »

Blarg. Then make it small so things miss it a lot.
I'm pretty sure size has nothing to do with the chance to hit. I'm pretty sure only speed has an effect.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2011, 08:02:44 pm »

Wait. If you said that they can't dodge, then how does speed effect if they get hit?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2011, 08:04:34 pm »

Wait. If you said that they can't dodge, then how does speed effect if they get hit?
If a ship is moving fast in one direction, Fire Controls can't track fast enough and missiles can't turn fast enough, leading to missing. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2011, 08:21:34 pm »

Speed isn't a useful tactical defense.  The numbers are weighted so a beam warship doesn't sacrifice much to be able to shoot down fast ships.  Versus missiles your only effective defense is an anti-missile net (preferably made of anti-missile-missiles AND anti-missile-beams).  The lower chance of getting hit is less important against missiles than the extra launcher(s) would be on your PD ships (since you're giving up launchers by mounting more engines).  ((Exception, if you're getting targeted by far more missiles than you can shoot down the miss chance might be more helpful.  You'd still end up as scrap if that many missiles are getting through, though.))

However, speed is a very useful strategic defense.  Being able to choose whether or not you'll actually be fighting against that enemy fleet is enormously helpful.  Of course, the enemy fleet might force the matter by going after your colonies, and then your speed is only helpful if you out range them, too.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11