Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Aurora - Semi-LP?  (Read 9263 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - Semi-LP?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 11:47:17 pm »

Raise the tour duration then :D

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2011, 12:43:56 am »

Again, it might be best to put off asking for naval officers until there is an actual war going on. The best you can hope for at the moment is acting as a defending force, or going on drills to help co-ordinate attacks.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »

Raise the tour duration then :D

Less duration means more people get a shot means less leave from doing nothing for 6 years :D
Il increase tours as we get more ships.
Anyway no update today, sick as a dawg :(

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:52 pm »

Get well soon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2011, 01:36:12 am »

I don't see the problems about useless officers leaving. Just build a bunch of fighters to keep any with crew training.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2011, 07:13:31 am »

I usually fill my civilian vessels with Lt. Commander officers with crew training.

Can officers gain the crew training ability by being assigned to a space vessel/ground unit?

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2011, 08:45:38 am »

Officers can gain the crew training ability (or anything, but mostly political bonus) by sitting around in your academy for years after graduating.  They DO gain the crew training ability faster if they're assigned to a ship though.  And like everything else in Aurora, skill gains seem to follow an exponential curve.  Skilled officers seem to get better faster than unskilled ones.  But that could just be that skilled officers get assignments to practice in...

Honestly, I never even knew that officers could retire on their own when you used auto-assignments.  I manually assign every position and they'll suffer through 24 year tours, or 24 year lack of tours depending on their skills.  I don't even think it's unrealistic since you need rank 3 officers to crew warships, and you're very unlikely to have 9 commercial ships for each warship to maintain the promotion chain.  All those rank 1s and 2s are handling the paperwork.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

They can still man teams, headquarters or lesser warships.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »

Officers can gain the crew training ability (or anything, but mostly political bonus) by sitting around in your academy for years after graduating.  They DO gain the crew training ability faster if they're assigned to a ship though.  And like everything else in Aurora, skill gains seem to follow an exponential curve.  Skilled officers seem to get better faster than unskilled ones.  But that could just be that skilled officers get assignments to practice in...

Honestly, I never even knew that officers could retire on their own when you used auto-assignments.  I manually assign every position and they'll suffer through 24 year tours, or 24 year lack of tours depending on their skills.  I don't even think it's unrealistic since you need rank 3 officers to crew warships, and you're very unlikely to have 9 commercial ships for each warship to maintain the promotion chain.  All those rank 1s and 2s are handling the paperwork.

I like the realism of auto assign, and generally the good pilots get retained in their position anyway, so even with 3 month tours the great officers are usually kept in position. I let it shuffle the noobs so i have a large officer pool. People still get booted, just i retain more talent this way.

Bottom line - i dont have enough ships for the number of officers. yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2011, 07:09:36 pm »

Put me in as a massive ship massive firepower guy. I want to be able to destroy quarters of a fleet.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2011, 10:36:04 pm »

Put me in as a massive ship massive firepower guy. I want to be able to destroy quarters of a fleet.
I hate to burst your bubble, but dreadnoughts are a long, long ways away. And often they aren't very practical.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »

Well, I guess he could run a carrier.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:31 pm »

He could, but then he'd always rely on his FAC, and won't a whole lot of fame for himself. And I'm pretty sure he wants fame.

I'd suggest a beam battleship or a beam cruiser, or, if you're feeling brave, a beam frigate, if you want fame. Though I wouldn't expect you to live as long as missile ships. If you want to live a long, healthy life, go with a missile ship.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:46:57 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2011, 10:47:33 pm »

If you want to live a long, healthy life, become a scientist/administrator.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2011, 11:17:51 pm »

I've designed a few beam "warthogs", ships designed to survive a few missile hits and close to beam range.
Redundant systems, shields, armor, no explosive ordinance.

In contrast, my missile ships are generally designed as cheaply as possible.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11