Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Faster and Easier Armor and clothing Production  (Read 1742 times)

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
Faster and Easier Armor and clothing Production
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:19 pm »

The production cues would be allot easier to produce entire sets of clothing or armor if it would have that as an actual option. So it would instead of saying Produce1 steel breastplate, 2 steel gloves, 2 steel boots, 2 steel leggings, etc etc it will also say produce 1 light Steel armor set or Produce 1 heavy steel armor set.

You could introduce it as it creates one object that requires the amount of all the different pieces put together and upon completion it splits into the seperate parts. This could reduce the amount of forges needed and it would be allot simpler to produce armor/clothing in mass.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Faster and Easier Armor and clothing Production
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »

This has been suggested before.  Did you suggest it?

Biggest problem, what is "light plate set"?  Does this include a mail shirt or not?  Is this a helm or a cap?  High boots or low?  Your example didn't use greaves, even though they're part of my plate setup.  It could be defined similar to embark profiles, saved to an init file, otherwise it would add or omit things that are needed.  It would be a shame if the only option involved added a breastplate (which should cost 9 bars) while you're only rich enough to afford a mail shirt (6 bars).

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:21:33 pm »

I didnt suggest it before and when i searched for it i couldnt find a topic oard about it.

Maybe instead of having the preset clothing sets have it where it lets you create an outfit to be made to your specifications, heres a stick figure representation
Basic      Your setup
   O <-Your choice of hat/helm . Or Lack Thereof (olto)
  /|\ <-Your Choice of gauntlets breastplate or mail (olto)
  /  \ <- your choice of Greaves or leggings (olto)
 *   * <-Your choice of high cut or low cut boot (olto)

All this could be set in a minimenu at the main Building Interface
Of course these sets would only be able to be made out of the materials usually proccessed at the station
Also was the stick figure representation helpful confusing or useless?
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:29:43 pm »

Biggest problem, what is "light plate set"?  Does this include a mail shirt or not?  Is this a helm or a cap?  High boots or low?  Your example didn't use greaves, even though they're part of my plate setup.  It could be defined similar to embark profiles, saved to an init file, otherwise it would add or omit things that are needed.  It would be a shame if the only option involved added a breastplate (which should cost 9 bars) while you're only rich enough to afford a mail shirt (6 bars).

Or add an option to craft an "uniform" from the Military screen.

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:42:02 pm »

Or add an option to craft an "uniform" from the Military screen.

That idea has merit allows you to directly create all the items for one uniform that are creatable at the specific workshop
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:03:20 pm »

The question would be, which material to use. I guess if the uniform hasn't materials defined, you can choose the "default" material in the workshop itself, but it will use the defined materials for the items that have them.

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 10:12:16 pm »

well you could have it as Choose workshop>armor/clothing>Material>Uniform(a), uniform (b) etc etc down the list of military uniforms available
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:27 pm »

well you could have it as Choose workshop>armor/clothing>Material>Uniform(a), uniform (b) etc etc down the list of military uniforms available

This is a good idea. I was actually just about to suggest something like this but you beat me to it. Kudos.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 10:34:11 pm »

Yeah, but what I mean is, what if the uniform says: Bronze helm, Steel breastplate, Iron greaves, Any material high boots. It's silly, but the interface currently allows it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 10:39:24 pm »

Yeah, but what I mean is, what if the uniform says: Bronze helm, Steel breastplate, Iron greaves, Any material high boots. It's silly, but the interface currently allows it.

Maybe have it default to leather items if not otherwise specified (and cloth or silk if there's no leather). You don't wanna be using fuel if you haven't explicitly asked it to.

Or otherwise/alternately maybe the undefined stuff could just be left out of the reaction entirely.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 01:22:32 pm »

We need a way to manage actual sets of clothing first. Clothing needs to be grouped together, at least in pairs, and preferably entire costumes. Dwarves should think about clothes in terms of costumes, not loose pieces. Unless one of the pieces needs replacement, of course.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 11:11:26 pm »

What you need is a game that doesn't split all the socks, boots and mittens into "right" and "left". Don't you just hate going through adventure mode with 20 steel mittens for your right hand and none for your left?

Also, a (basic) visual representation of a dwarf with the clothing in the right spot would be nice, if only for organization sake.
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"