Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tame animals fighting one another?  (Read 5549 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Tame animals fighting one another?
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:06:41 pm »

Forgive me if this is known behavior; I didn't see anything about it in the archives or bugs.

I've noticed that my tame animals will occasionally fight one another or attack my dwarfs. The fights are usually brief and don't usually result in injuries, but the two war dogs that I had chained next to one another at my entrance mauled one another until both were covered in yellow wounds. Is this expected behavior? Fight reports indicate that all the fights so far have been initiated by either war dogs or turkeys, but I don't see any tags in the raws that suggest that these animals should behave aggressively.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: Tame animals fighting one another?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:10:10 pm »

Animals get pissed off and go all MAIM, KILL BURN! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! if they're in a small space for too long.

We're not sure how long 'too long' is.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:23:22 pm »

Confined spaces make animals fight each other any your dwarves. That is normal. You can use it to your advantage, or just stuff all your animals in a cage

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »

I've always kept war dogs chained at my entryways to detect thieves and snatchers (I got the idea from "The Terminator"). Does this apply to any chained animal, or just animals chained in narrow hallways. It would be a pity to lose the ability to detect sneaking nasties before they're inside the fort.

That said, I don't want my refuse stockpile to keep filling up with {Stray war Dog nose}. Diplomats are gonna start thinking that Michael Vick lives here.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:52:43 pm »

It matters if they're crowded.  A dog on a chain is fine.  In fact, a field of chains, each with a dog, is probably fine.  They'll probably spread onto different squares in their respective 9x9.  You may have to watch out for puppies though, as they count towards the crowd and an angry puppy can attack its mother/siblings.  Male war dogs will do perfectly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:31 pm »

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWW
DCPBbH+CW
WWWWWWWWW
Door, Cage, Pressure plate Bridge, Hatch, empty floor, and Chain, in that order.  The bridge should be retracting, the kind that disappear, and the pressure plate should be linked to the bridge and the hatch.

Release the animal, and it will run towards the bait animal on the chain.  They hit the plate, and the hatch immediately disappears, so they come to a stop on top of the bridge.  The bridge, on a delay because it's a bridge, then disappears, and the creature falls down.  If your desired animal-fall is under the "b" then you can load creatures in like this.

If the animal is a wimp, and runs away from tame animals (like almost every animal does) then you can reverse the process, and place the bait animal near the door, so that the desired pit animal runs away and gets itself caught.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »

Huh, I'll have a water buffalo and a one-humped camel sharing a large pasture, and the one will attack the other once (only to be dodged) and then nothing more will happen...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:38:00 am »

Huh, I'll have a water buffalo and a one-humped camel sharing a large pasture, and the one will attack the other once (only to be dodged) and then nothing more will happen...

Maybe it's just small enough to piss them off, but large enough so that flinging a hoof-punch at each other once every few months is enough to let off excess rage.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:37:15 am »

Woah you can have animals tantrum now? Sweet, dog fight fortress here I come

*downloads new version*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:12 am »

Cockfights are better and more humorous.  Peacockfights are interesting as well.  Guineacockfights are not entertaining.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 11:09:28 am »

This is one of the few sites where people can be so casual about something that would make 95% of people (in real life)  rage hardcore.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:16:43 am »

/b/'s got nothing on us.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 11:25:15 am »

Hmmm I wonder if stuffing a trade depot full of animals would make the animals tear the elves apart.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:29:09 am »

You'd have a trade depot full of cages.  How do you stuff animals into it outside of cages?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 11:31:00 am »

Make it a room that isn't pet passable so once the pets are chucked in they can't leave, but the elves can enter (perhaps through an air lock to make sure the pets dont go anywhere).
Pages: [1] 2