Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caveins and the invincible ramps  (Read 996 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caveins and the invincible ramps
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »

So I am trying to punch through an aquifer via caveins and here is how I have set things up, which also happens to be the way I set it up the first time:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here is the problem I am running into after I collapse the first ring:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see I have a row of ramps that simply won't be crushed like the others. Is there some way I can remedy this?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Caveins and the invincible ramps
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »

Has it happened more than once?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »

Do note that natural features will survive a cave-in.  So a naturally dug ramp, when caved, will drop an intact ramp.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:32:07 pm »

In that particular spot yes, nowhere else though. The thing is I used the exact same method on a location literally 20 tiles away and there were no issues with an entire row of ramps just staying there like nothing happened. I'm gonna try a few things like draining from those tiles and removing those natural ramps to see if anything is different after the cavein.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:37:17 pm »

I've had this bug before. Sometimes a horizontal line or vertical line of natural wall vanishes during a cave-in, so it doesn't land at the bottom. I saw it when I was trying to cast a wall of obsidian in the ocean by dropping magma into the ocean.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:31:07 pm »

I've had this bug before. Sometimes a horizontal line or vertical line of natural wall vanishes during a cave-in, so it doesn't land at the bottom. I saw it when I was trying to cast a wall of obsidian in the ocean by dropping magma into the ocean.

Did you discover any sort of remedy to this?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:07:19 pm »

Did you discover any sort of remedy to this?
Nope. Do you have a save file from just prior to the cave-in, that you could submit to Toady via the bug reporter? This kind of bug is hard to reproduce, so it would be useful to him if all he has to do is have a dwarf trigger the cave-in.