Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linked Artistry  (Read 480 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linked Artistry
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:29:02 am »

I made this beautiful jewel-studded waterskin...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...But I'm having a little trouble displaying it correctly. See, it's got these powerful images of our nation, but I am afraid we might still forget them. For instance, this piece tells us the Sunken Sourness is a granite hatch cover, but it fails to convey the majesty thereof.

We can hardly appreciate the colour and magnificence of the gems which went into its creation.

Therefore, I propose some improvements to dwarven artistic display standards:

• Imagery should be colour-coded to its material.
  • Links (a la Help System or The Wiki) should be provided, that we may 'look more closely at' works of dwarven artistry.
and finally,
  • I should be able to export this information as HTML and put it up on my website without having to bother with screen captures or transcriptions.

Thank you.
Teren...
Terry Dactyl
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:01:01 am by TerryDactyl »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Linked Artistry
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »

Imagery should be colour-coded to its material.

Well it's engraved on the thing, maybe decorated with thread or something. You won't be able to see color, just a rough shape.

Links (a la Help System or The Wiki) should be provided, that we may 'look more closely at' works of dwarven artistry.

This would not be possible without having the Wiki connect to your computer and steal your computers brain waves. Which is not possible anyway. So no. Furthermore, any close up wouldn't contain the pictures your thinking of. The hatch would display the same dwarf for every dwarf on every artifact, because it cannot possibly tell what the dwarf looks like. Nice thought, but not possible.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:11:01 am »

I think you misunderstood him, he (I think) meant 'like' a wiki, that is, a hyperlink, the concept of which pre-dates the 'web'.

I would like to be able to jump around entities better, for example my current legendary gem cutter has 8 kids, and I wanted to assign them bedrooms near her burrow area; while entailed noting down their names, then navigating to each one seperatly, instead of just being able to follow a link from her relationships screen to each of their details (did not help that (iirc, I'm not at my DF comp now) there were two children named 'erush', and the relationship screen shows translated surnames names, when the bedroom assignment screen shows dwarvish surnames...

This would be a huge amount of work though, because of all the different UI's; it would go hand-in-hand with a complete UI overhaul.

My peeve is all the different ways DF has of presenting a list of items... some allow searching/filtering, some do not; but the REAL annoyance if all the differant ways of scrolling lists, some use arrow keys, some /* some -+, just a real pain. I really wish Toady had used an existing UI framework that would provide most of this functionality out of the box. (but then, my day job is working on a UI framework)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:30 am »

Many sections of the game do seem to be hashed together by different people.  The embark screen lets you go left/right to change selection.  Requests from caravans uses page-up/page-down AND */  In some areas you "r"emove a work order, in others you "c"ancel a job.  This contributes to the heavy learning curve and general confusion of the game.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:34 am »

Yeh. Hyperlinks in item descriptions. We shouldn't have to go find Urist to figure out what the picture of Urist engraved on my large rubicelle really looks like. It's not really central to gameplay, but it'd really be a great way to improve the overall quality of dwarven arts (that is, the ability for me to impress my friends with the ultimacy which is DF)