Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Zone - Bathing  (Read 4296 times)

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Zone - Bathing
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:47:41 am »

I was having trouble with the Clean Self option.  I have some wells dug, but still get the message that my dwarf can't access an area to clean himself (my wells are ALL accessible).

I thought it would be good to add a new ZONE called BATHING. You could zone it on a well, the edge of a river (with a ramp) or a created bath (level 2-3 pit filled with water). Every time a dwarf wanted to clean themselves, they would go to the bathing area.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Zone - Bathing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:51:59 am »

Support, I'd like it too. I usually build bathouses, but most of the time I know that they'll be useless, as the dwarves usually go to clean themselves in the main hall.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:57:56 am »

I really like this suggestion
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:25 am »

DO ITTT.

Edit- I realise this is a bad reply.

So allow me to rephrase.

I like this idea, I would like this as well. Maybe the dwarves could swim for recreation, not just bathing, as well? Maybe you could make different levels of it, like a swimming pool? Some method of forbidding people with say, dabbling swimming from going in the 5 Urist deep section, and forbidding children from the 2 up and so on. Please do this.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:18:07 am by PCpaste »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:19:39 am »

DO ITTT.

Edit- I realise this is a bad reply.

So allow me to rephrase.

I like this idea, I would like this as well. Maybe the dwarves could swim for recreation, not just bathing, as well? Maybe you could make different levels of it, like a swimming pool? Some method of forbidding people with say, dabbling swimming from going in the 5 Urist deep section, and forbidding children from the 2 up and so on. Please do this.

And you could use it to more-or-less safely train swimming! I like it.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:36:45 pm »

Even better, make a 'bathhouse' zone so you can have containers full of soap near the water as well.  Perhaps they could even use barrels to bathe?

Also, drinking water that a dwarf has washed in recently should piss people off (similar to how they get pissed off when they drink vomit water or bloody water. :))

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:43 pm »

Even better, make a 'bathhouse' zone so you can have containers full of soap near the water as well.  Perhaps they could even use barrels to bathe?

Also, drinking water that a dwarf has washed in recently should piss people off (similar to how they get pissed off when they drink vomit water or bloody water. :))

I think that it should merely be as bad as murky water.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:18:01 pm »

The point is ultimately moot, because once a dwarf bathes, the water will become bloody water.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:28 pm »

The point is ultimately moot, because once a dwarf bathes, the water will become bloody water.

There could be a new buildable device implemented for cleaning water then (using mechanisms and pipe sections and several blocks of charcoal).

(optionally, maybe The bathing area could even be defined from it the way that bedrooms are defined from beds)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 05:55:54 pm »

Only if the charcoal wears down.  The cleaning labor could be used to generate the "replace charcoal" job once a a certain amount of contaminant has been filtered.  That would be pretty awesome though, except that gunk tends to stick to walls more often than not.  If water pushed blood off of walls and onto other walls, then it could be moved to a cleaner.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:06:03 pm »

It would be really cool if we could have plumbing too, so we can link together pipe sections and make great big pipes.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 12:55:19 am »

It would be really cool if we could have plumbing too, so we can link together pipe sections and make great big pipes.

Seconded.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 01:58:16 am »

Seconded.

I mentioned it in another thread (not in suggestions forum), You could build pipes and plumbing valves exactly the same as axels and gear assemblies; just using pipe sections instead of logs/mechanisms; functionally, they would just provide a path for pressurized water to flow through (since pressurized water already 'teleports' to open spaces); but a valve built at the output to a pump would accept all the flow from it. Linking a valve to a lever/pressure plate etc with a pair of mechanisims would allow it to be opened or closed; and maybe you could build a 'well' with a mechanism/bucket for dwarves to drink/wash from at an endpoint;

For a super-ideal model, pipes could leak (dropping 1/7 water at a time) if the pressure is more than the material can handle, with a wooden(if they exist?) pipe leaking at even 1 z pressure, strong metals taking 10-15 z's, and  spoiler pipes able to take 20 z's worth of load before leaking.

Advantage being not needing to dedicate 3 tile widths to moving water around, and dwarves being able to duck under/climb over the pipes like they do axels. Double points for building seperate clear/grey water systems.

Does water carry temperature or just take on the temperature of it's tile? for example, if you heat water near magma, and dump it on ice, will the ice melt faster, or the water take longer to freeze?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 05:11:12 am »

Water does not carry temperature, it only assumes nearby temperature.  Frozen pipes bursting could be fun, or not bursting if strong enough.  There are wooden piped, as used by cheap noob corkscrews, and they probably should be leaky.  Perhaps damaged piped can be repaired by a mechanic (or metalsmith?) so that you don't have to build whole new pipes?  Having pipes smaller than 9x9 per level would be nice too.

Either way, this isn't quite the thread for pipe talk, which has actually been suggested everywhere, and Toady already has "buildable pipe sections" on the eternal to-do list.  It would link up with bathing zones pretty well, but isn't -quite- required.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 06:42:14 pm »

This would be nice. If it got on the suggestions list, I would vote for it.
Pages: [1] 2