Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipping Bone  (Read 1173 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equipping Bone
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »

Hey guys, I'm having an issue getting my military to equip bone instead of cloth or leather, despite the bone gear being MUCH better. I know I can go through and specifically choose each individual's armor, but I'd rather spend my micro-managing elsewhere.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping Bone
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »

The wiki says that bone is under "metal" apparently.  So, "any metal armor" will give them bone.

Si Fi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 07:21:09 pm »

When you decide what each unit is going to wear in the military screen, you can change the material type (M). You should be able to find metal on there. Creating and assigning uniforms can speed up the process too (also on the military screen).

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:47:27 pm »

Thanks guys! I didn't even think it would be under metal. Strange. I tried clicking the material command, but it wasn't showing any changes to the screen. I'm sure I was doing something wrong though.

Thanks again.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:56:57 pm »

You need to have an item already selected.  W - axe, then M - steel.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:13:52 pm »

what happens when they have the green check mark to show that they should equip some items in the military screen, but the armor doesnt show up in their v-(i)nventory  screen despite having a path to the armor/weapons?
LOSING IS FUN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:15:35 pm »

Then you report it to the bug tracker.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:56:25 pm »

I believe that means that they have acknowledged the item for use (claimed it), but havn't picked it up yet.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »

Unless they are stuck in the infamous"Equip/store item cycle
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »

Unless they are stuck in the infamous"Equip/store item cycle
this. how do i fix it?
LOSING IS FUN!

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 01:43:03 am »

I have another question to add: will my men seek out the best gear they can find, or must I babysit them so that they grab the best gear I have lying around? I seem to be doing okay with my general "economy" and micro-managing, but the only battle I got into so far ended in 8/10 of my squad being absolutely destroyed by goblins because they simply weren't well-trained or geared.

Edit 1: Also, if I tell them to grab metal gear and there isn't any gear for a particular part of the body, will they just grab leather or another item instead...or will they choose not to wear boots to spite me for not making metal boots?

Edit 2: I just got my first artifact weapon. A silver mace (which I think is pretty lucky from what I read about density-based weapons), with "rope spikes" and encrusted gems on it. Rope spikes...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:50:23 am by dirty foot »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:15:15 am »

No you don't have to micromanage for quality control - they should update their gear to whatever is the best available to them. Unless they grow attached to their equipment. Whether they put on leather etc when you told them 'metal' depends on whether you told them to go for Partial Matches or Exact Matches in the equipment assignment screen.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:22:36 am »

In my experience, they go for material, then quality.  Like, I had a few dozen master or exceptional bone crossbows, and my men would equip them.  Only siege though, brought a copper no-quality crossbow to the fort, so one of my men traded his low-material ☼Goblin Bone Crossbow☼ for a Copper Crossbow.  I'm not sure what this is based on, and what makes them decide that copper is better than bone, but they'll grab higher quality of the same material semi-reliably.  They'll trade a -Steel Battle Axe- for a ☼Steel Battle Axe☼ most of the time.  If they've grown attached to a weapon, they'll be less likely to trade, but still will at times.  If you forbid or dump the lower quality weapon, they'll go grab another.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 09:58:29 am »

Dwarves will pick equipment based on value, so don't go decorating those silver shortswords and wooden spears.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 10:00:52 am »

I was thinking that was the criteria, but wasn't sure.  It also means you can decorate those good elf bone crossbows to make them more likely to shoot elf bone bolts via elf bone crossbows at elves.