Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 165

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread  (Read 74246 times)

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread
« Reply #1080 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »

Annexation, yeah...but i'm sure higher levels of diplomacy let you spend an extortionate amount of cold hard cash to convert enemy provinces to your side
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 06, 2011, 01:15:03 am »

Arcane is another sub-school.

Let the GM GM.

Actually, in the Master of Magic game there is a general school called Arcana, I just forgot to list it. In case it wasn't clear, I was just listing the schools in Master of Magic, Iituem is of course free to adopt another system if he so chooses.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:39:20 am by Demonic Spoon »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 06, 2011, 01:16:10 am »

Right, I was talking about the point where he said his race made that school of magic and is super powerful in it.

A pretty silly claim seeing as they know no magic at all.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 06, 2011, 01:23:55 am »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 06, 2011, 06:30:14 am »

I've said that JF can research Arcana, it'll just effectively be a generalist school giving access to a very select number of spells from various other schools (Chaos, Sorcery, Light).  Of course, that puts him entirely at my mercy as to what spells are even viable in that combination, whereas the tenets of the true schools are rather better determined.

You can win with money alone, but it's not cheap.  Apart from going for the Morganesque capstone tech Megaproject victory (destroy the global economy), higher levels of diplomacy let you subvert troops and territories.  That's affected by loyalty, though.

Your unification bonuses are tied partially to how easy that territory was to unify (e.g. unifying Icedale will garner probably a Tier I victory or less, unifying Villvale will probably be a Tier 3 or equivalent victory because of those green territories, and unifying Foul will be a pretty frigging high Tier victory because even though most of it's 'standard' territories, getting Foul North will require you to make war on the Old Empire) and partially to your current status and goals.  Money is potentially less useful than Territories, but it really does depend how you use it.

Tips for Tech Research:  Large sums of money at once, unless you're doing £500/turn and trying to build up the research base to improve your chances, give you a much better chance of researching a tech on that turn.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 06, 2011, 06:36:57 am »

Right, I was talking about the point where he said his race made that school of magic and is super powerful in it.

A pretty silly claim seeing as they know no magic at all.

Your twisting my words. I never said they were super powerful in it. I just said the Ariani INVENTED it.

Also, if you read my fluff, the inter-racials are really good in magic. Its just that they are SO DAMN RARE.

Edit: And obviously, the fact that they invented it yet no nothing about it currently is perfectly justified in "The wizard took all knowlage of it. Then he enslaved a large portion of the race".

I am sure theres an inter-racial Ariani who can use it SOMEWHERE, but its most likely NOT in Garyita (North Beaton, Maver, Dalton, Merkel, and Steel)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:40:26 am by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 06, 2011, 07:12:08 am »

Unifying Villvale will probably be a Tier 3 or equivalent victory because of those green territories

I am intrigued, and wish to know more. But instead, I'll just scribble numbers down, derive the math and plot a profitable advance. With Science!
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 06, 2011, 07:28:30 am »

Science!(Seizure inducing)

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 06, 2011, 08:57:35 am »

***Warning: Making assumptions about your combat math to do this***

As far as i can see, since you admit to tracking them as stacks of the same unit instead of individually, you would need the extra marker added to track this.

My assumption would be that players would need to declare count and type to entrench. Depending on your bonus it'd be a quick and dirty IF to code into the combat.

If Player.isDefender
TotalDef += Count(UnitType.def) + UnitType.EntrenchedCount(EntrenchBonus(UnitType.Def))
else
Attk code calc

On top of this, i would also figure that entrenching would count as a move order so players cant just claim entrenchment after units just got somewhere. This would essentially force those units to be unusable until removed from entrench status. Dont know if you'd also want to add in duration to the bonus as well like in Civ. This would involve another marker for duration, but would also require individual tracking of the units. Which depending on your current database structure may or may not be a raging pile of annoyance and frustration.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:38 am »

The problem with individual tracking is not so much a code one as an overhead one; if I do individual tracking of units, it opens up lots of possibilities (not least experience gain etc) but it also becomes a nightmare to actually write out turn summaries as everything has to happen in one 'screen'.

But yeah, that makes sense.  If I have the separate entrenched count, make entrenched units go first and have it decrease when entrenched units get killed, that should track properly and I'll be able to continually apply the bonuses.  I just need to add an entrenched units counter to the Army object (during battles I clash two Army objects together, effectively, who have all the stats included in them).

I'm pretty much a novice user in terms of the actual Python language and structure, but would you know how to separate out my code sheets so I can use separate scripts for different parts of the game instead of having it all in one physical script (i.e. put the definitions for objects in individual .py scripts and the functions in another)?  Been a nightmare trying to tease those details out of the library index.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 06, 2011, 09:59:54 am »

I have never actually used python so i don't know what the requirement is to link files together. I'm a .NET programmer so im limited to about a dozen varieties of C and VB

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 06, 2011, 05:01:30 pm »

Well then since my goal of uniting Garyita includes conquering Steel, a fief that is nothing BUT green territories, I should get some mighty bonus. Plus the Old Steel Empire sub-plot will be intriguing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 06, 2011, 05:03:54 pm »

Well then since my goal of uniting Garyita includes conquering Steel, a fief that is nothing BUT green territories, I should get some mighty bonus. Plus the Old Steel Empire sub-plot will be intriguing.

Your goal has nothing to do with it really. It is what you do. IE: Taking steel would be impressive, but you did not do so.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 06, 2011, 05:05:23 pm »

It intrigues me there are other Kasrs. A rebelling sub-group of Cadres, perhaps? The Fiefdoms will never know.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 06, 2011, 05:06:07 pm »

I do not understand what you are saying. I never said I already owned Steel. What are you getting at?

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 165