Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 165

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread  (Read 73857 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread
« Reply #420 on: March 26, 2011, 09:12:44 am »

I think he was talking about primitive flying machines or flying creatures.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:17 am »

lol

There's not much difference from "my gnome copters fly with steam engines!" and "My gnome copters fly with magic engines!"

Magic allows you to cheat, big surprise. I know at least in MoM you could build flying ships, but they were the winged kind.
I see no problem with ADwarf trying to do what he says.

IMO why can't the endgame be magica-steampunk tech (tanks, muskets and steam driven cyborgs) VS High Fantasy tech (magical beasts, enchanted weapons and powerful summons), depnding on player choice. they would be obviously balanced, and it would be interesting to see whose world view wins out. :)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 26, 2011, 09:19:10 am »

Besides which, lets not forget we have a dozen empires currently straddling this sphere. I'm sure we'll see all manner of interesting technological choices.
Steampunk is very likely plausible. I might go for a little steampunk-ness myself. Thing is, we cant be sure how the tech tree will play out till we plumb its murky depths.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 26, 2011, 09:19:34 am »

I'm going the pratical and historical path and ignoring Steampunk altogether.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 26, 2011, 09:34:14 am »

This is 1002 AD.

Railguns will not be discoveried (If at all) for another 1097 years damn it!

This, this is wrong on so many levels. Firstly this is not realworld history. This is another calendar entirely from our Gregorian calendar. It is not 1000 years after the Crucifixition of Jesus, it's 1000 years after the spell of mastery was cast, different worlds. Also, the phalanx was already discovered in 1002 AD(rl calendar), further illustrating that the timelines are not the same.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 26, 2011, 11:08:59 am »

Rediscovered, in this world.  If it helps your imagination, think of your territories as all being completely underdeveloped third world countries whilst the Old Empire is the equivalent of a rather isolationist, decadent first world.  The technologies exist but you don't have them and the OE is so isolationist you can't steal or trade for them.  What you're really doing is rediscovering technologies that are already in existence.

Steampunk could be rediscovered by 1020, 1030 if you made a solid beeline for it.  As pointed out, the calendar is dated from the Spell of Mastery being cast.  There is however nothing wrong with sticking to solid physics.

Game balance in combat continues to be an issue; I will probably continue to tweak the base of combat further in this game.  The ultimate aim is that elite units should be able to maintain their own against a number of weaker opponents without being wounded or destroyed in most situations.  Right now there's a lot of variation that's favouring zerg rush tactics a little too much.  Zerg rush tactics should be viable, but five heavy swordsmen should still have rather more than a 70% chance of winning vs eight spearmen militia.

One aspect that may change this is researching armour and weaponry techs; they will add bonuses to light and heavy infantry (though possibly not militia) without changing their upkeep and purchase values.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 26, 2011, 11:26:43 am »

Hmm.  Is the main detractor from heavy units currently the initial hiring cost, or the upkeep values?  I may change the costings mechanics whilst I'm at it.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 26, 2011, 11:29:07 am »

For my part, it is mostly required materials. Archer just doesn't fit my style (too defensive).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 26, 2011, 11:30:45 am »

For my part, it is mostly required materials. Archer just doesn't fit my style (too defensive).

Want some gnome copters when I make them ?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 26, 2011, 11:33:22 am »

Hmm.  Is the main detractor from heavy units currently the initial hiring cost, or the upkeep values?  I may change the costings mechanics whilst I'm at it.

The hiring cost.

I am going with spearmen at this point because I want quick expansion, I can buy four of them for the cost of the next cheapest unit. I don't expect any units to survive to a peaceful time, so why not buy the cheap ones now?

Later, when I want units not for use but for protection, I will most likely start buying the most expensive ones.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:14 am »

Question could I use some of my funds to uncover Ghizarkill ?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:11 am »

What are you talking about?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 26, 2011, 11:37:28 am »

What are you talking about?

Gnome History it was their first city in The Farlands.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 26, 2011, 11:38:01 am »

Only if the GM thinks that it is okay...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 26, 2011, 11:48:25 am »

You could, though I make no promises as to whether you'll get any in-game benefits from it.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 165