Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 165

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread  (Read 73774 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread
« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:41 pm »

For example, he was True-Neutral, and didn't give a fuck about the rest of the world. He only wrote the texts so that his life abilities would not go to waste. He was also shunned as a child. Even when he was the most powerful being, he was still somewhat hated, due to his heritage.

I am sorry to have to be the one to tell you, not only are none of those sign of not being a Mary sue. But some of them are in fact signs of such.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57:01 pm »

???

From what I have read about Mary Sues, they are almost always loved by everyone and a friend to everything.

That is not this guy.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:14 pm »

No. that is a facet of such and a very main stream way to make ones own Sue. But Mary Sues are in fact a self insertion.

I am not going to sit here and try to amateurly psychoanalyze you, suffice to say Mary Sues only real defining characteristic is that, unless the maker has some serous issues, very very good at something. Most of the time they are never really bad at anything else.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 23, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »

I never really defined him much. He was just a plot device for potential and new fluff. He is not a self insert of me either, I assure you. (Honestly I'ma really Neutral Good. Best form of good out there :P)

I didn't want to go out of my way to give an overly long discription of him, he was really a minor character that discovered the rare art. And I really just wanted to introduce Arcane as a very powerful magic.

And anyway, I think your right that I gave it too much power. I don't think anyones ever going to reach "Reality Bending" tier of the Arcane, and the GM would never allow it anyway.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:43 pm »

Ya know, I hate to say this. But his "Arcane magic" Just..seems like regular ordinary everyday magic. Just ..all lumped together in one sphere and not divvied up at all. One could make the argument that an Ariani by his lore, discovered true magic and was some kind of magical prodigy, good at every single sphere. Whereas most could barely master one. But ..yeah. If you're going to go for creating powerful characters with defining moments in history, get the GM's consent. Same goes for potentially world altering Macguffins.

Frankly I am shocked. SHOCKED I got 0 comments yet on my own lore. For shame people.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »

You fluff was good, but you choose something of a bad time to post it.

Arcane seemed pretty epic when I had thought it up, but now its losing steam. Arcane was basically the "Super-natural" abilities not captured by anything else, but I guess I over dramatized it...

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2011, 10:33:38 pm »

I have a sudden feeling to type out an over-glorified meeting of the Western Alliance or an incredibly Mary Sueified backstory for the Kasrs.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:52 pm »

Well its just everything you posted didn't really seem all that fantastical. Bend reality with his mind? Illusion magic. Create impossible figures? Illusions again. And even revert gravity? Earth? Air? Yet more illusions?

Yeah, It feels like you're going for a supernatural sort of angle but this is a world where actual magic exists. Such abilities would likely get lumped in with the ability to do magic, and forgotten. They'd only ever be low level wizards who in stories could only 'cast' a few spells.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 23, 2011, 10:36:49 pm »

Ya know, I hate to say this. But his "Arcane magic" Just..seems like regular ordinary everyday magic. Just ..all lumped together in one sphere and not divvied up at all. One could make the argument that an Ariani by his lore, discovered true magic and was some kind of magical prodigy, good at every single sphere. Whereas most could barely master one. But ..yeah. If you're going to go for creating powerful characters with defining moments in history, get the GM's consent. Same goes for potentially world altering Macguffins.

Frankly I am shocked. SHOCKED I got 0 comments yet on my own lore. For shame people.
Yours was good.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »

Thanks, that means a lot to me guys. I'd be writing up Part 2, but I might be GMing a game shortly for some friends.

Mysterious Edit: Lore!

Spoiler: What Came After (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:14:07 am by Terenos »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2011, 02:53:28 pm »

Thanks, that means a lot to me guys. I'd be writing up Part 2, but I might be GMing a game shortly for some friends.

Mysterious Edit: Lore!

Spoiler: What Came After (click to show/hide)

Cool dude. Nice fluff.

Also, I am going to edit the fluff on Arcane because I relize how bad it was.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:58 pm »

Fredrick the Red leaned back in his chair, letting the warm air in his home drift over the sheath of paper he had just finished inking.

He looked at the paper, signed with his name, and the name of another, he smiled slightly. This paper was nothing really, it was a done deal before the first words were written on the sheet. Still what it represented was so much more. Months of hard work. Diplomacy. Back stabbing. (even a little on his part) And back room deals were all represented in this simple piece of paper.

Ultimately, some might have seen it as a hard choice. The loss of personal pride. But Fredrick knew that his pride was worth nothing next to the lives of a single one of his people. Ultimately he would not even had to lose this pride if he had not made some mistakes earlier. In truth this was merely karma's way of punishing him.

He was glad it was such a light punishment to be payed in ink and not in blood.

Ah.... If only... If only... But no... The brutes saw to that.

With that Fredrick summoned his courier. He would take the paper to Terret west, from there he would catch a ship bound for the land of the horsemen and plains. Then, after a grueling ride of several weeks, he would reach the court of the McBrents and deliver his message detailing the dismantlement of the western empire and the oaths of fealty to Sheb McBrent.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2011, 06:18:25 pm »

(( Is this treachery?! ))

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2011, 06:18:40 pm »

Depends.

To who?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »

(( Western Dominion. ))

((Edit: I sure have been saying that a lot. :P ))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:21:21 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 165