Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 165

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread  (Read 74110 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread
« Reply #840 on: March 31, 2011, 08:25:23 pm »

They're infantry, he can lead them well enough even through they're semi-automated.  His bonus will still count for zero vs mindless or illusion-immune/truesighted creatures, though, because illusory units get their att/def set to 0 vs those units.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 31, 2011, 08:27:26 pm »

Which raises another question, In the event of myself charging with say, 4 Light Macemen, and 4 Phantom Soldiers against however many enemy units, say 4 are Spearmen, and 4 are X unit with Truesight, and a stronger defense value than spearmen.
I assume that the program matches up my best unit with their best unit. But as that unit of theirs is Truesight, would it then take my Light Macemen for the fight as my phantom soldiers would be useless against that unit?
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 01, 2011, 05:57:40 am »

Yes.  The attack/defense comparison takes into account the effects of truesight/mindlessness etc when it's working out who's stronger than who.

Edit:  It does now, anyway.  I had it left in a different bit of code that would only have taken it into account during actual fights by accident.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:05:42 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 01, 2011, 06:03:12 am »

Well I'm out of questions once more. For now!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 01, 2011, 09:48:27 am »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 01, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »

Toying with yet more rebalancing, now that I'm putting the code together for the Heroes.

I think my last rebalance of Heroes got the power/cost balance right, but made them too powerful overall.  This is what I'm looking to rebalance to - if I do, it'll go in this turn, so you won't be paying above-price for heroes this turn (i.e. I'll charge you the new prices).  Tell me what you think.

Quote from: Hero Rebalancing
Hero basic purchase price: £600.  Upkeep £30.  General bonus to led units: +5.

Guerilla:  £250.  Increases upkeep by £10.  The hero gains expertise laying ambushes and fighting defensively as a footsoldier.  His defensive bonus to leading infantry increases by 3.  Tech:  Infantry Training I.

Raider:  £250.  Increases upkeep by £10.  The hero trains for quick charges and brutal attacks during raids as a footsoldier.  His offensive bonus to leading infantry increases by 3.  Tech:  Infantry Training I.

Ranger:  £400.  Increases upkeep by £20.  The hero gains expertise fighting with ranged weaponry such as javelins and bows.  His offensive and defensive bonuses to leading ranged units increase by 3.  Tech:  Ranged Training I.

Mariner:  £400.  Increases upkeep by £20.  The hero gains expertise fighting aboard ship and in ship-to-ship combat.  His offensive and defensive bonuses to leading naval or amphibious units incfrease by 3.  Tech:  Mariners.

Charger:  £250.  Increases upkeep by £10.  The hero gains expertise leading cavalry charges.  His offensive bonus to leading cavalry increases by 3.  Tech:  Cavalry Tactics I

Evader:  £250.  Increases upkeep by £10.  The hero gains expertise leading cavalry in evasive movements and retreats.  His defensive bonus to leading cavalry increases by 3.  Tech:  Cavalry Tactics I

Swordmaster I:  £120.  Increases upkeep by £5.  The hero achieves a proficiency with his chosen weapon on the attack.  His personal attack score in single combat increases by 3.  Tech:  Weaponsmithy I

Shieldmaster I:  £120.  Increases upkeep by £5.  The hero achieves a proficiency with shield, armour or dodging on the defensive.  His personal defence score in single combat increases by 3.  Tech:  Armoury I.

Costings should be about the same now, but it should also no longer be the case that hero-led spearmen can toe-to-toe attacking heavy swordsmen with only the Guerilla I promotion.  (They can still toe light swordsmen, though.)  The short version of the above changes is that everything has been halved; prices, upkeep, power.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 01, 2011, 11:34:47 pm »

Okay, editing turn. And happy b-day!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 01, 2011, 11:53:12 pm »

I too will be editing my turn.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 02, 2011, 04:32:54 am »

Neat, I do not need to pay £1000 to promote Bearskin now. :D

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 02, 2011, 04:45:11 am »

Well you still have to pay £600, Its only slightly cheaper!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 02, 2011, 04:51:41 am »

Yup, but it means I do not need to borrow money to pay for it. :)

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 02, 2011, 04:53:42 am »

Thats very true. And very convenient for you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 02, 2011, 07:07:44 am »

In order to catch the pirates, 2 companies were loaded into a trirem that was disguised as a merchantmen. Since a caravan was being created at the moment, it was hoped the pirate wouldn't get the trick. The plan was for the men to hide in the hold while the trirem would follow a course toward the Foul Empire. A few dozens miles out of port, the sailors would commit some kind of mistake, ripping off a sail (replacement is planned) and further enticing the pirate to attack. When they attack, the men would come out, using surprise to overcome any resistance.

As well as those two companies, the ship will also transport Bran the Cunning, the Minister for Trade and Industry, who'll made the following annoucment:

"Men of the Seas! The Emperor, may he be blessed, knows of your plight. He knows that the riches brought to Brent by the merchantmen end up in a few privileged pocket, and that few opportunities exist for the youths of Soutern Brent. He knows that most of you only want a comfortable life. And He's offering you this.

Face it, Piracy isn't what you thought. Being a pirate means risking your life for some loot and living in fear, hunted like a rat. Instead, the Emperor is offering you to become his Imperial Coastal Guards. Rather than having to fight and kill the merchants, you'll be given money from them without a move, as taxes. And rather than living like a rat, always fearful of the Empire's constable, you'll be respected and like a live of ease!

Remember, there is always two path for men in the Empire. You can go the way of the McKarmon and become faitful vassal of the Empire. Or you can go the way of Brian The Fool and live a life of misery, bringing eternal pains to your family, your friends and yourself. Both the Emperor's generosity and His wrath are infinite, and the choice between the two is yours to make."

Or So was the plan. When the time came for Bran to get into the Trirem, not a single men was there. The boat captain himself was not sure whether he was to help invade Aelstrom or stay here. And of course, nobody had though of alerting Bran. Surely not that arrogant Bearskin, that understood nothing to diplomacy...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:13:53 am by Sheb »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 02, 2011, 07:29:29 am »

Tip:  If you want to try subversion tactics like that with more than a 5% chance of success, invest in diplomats.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 02, 2011, 07:35:29 am »

Yup, it is in my plans, but I don't have the funds to invest in this this turns. Plus all those wasted opportunities will means I can get to be very cruel now, giving more weigh to the stick part of my negociations.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 165