Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 165

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread  (Read 74184 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Fluff Thread
« Reply #1005 on: April 05, 2011, 12:23:22 am »

Only too true. Logic says that you can take the world with your zombies.

Quite frankly they horrify me.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 05, 2011, 02:06:48 am »

Well sure spoon, zombies are great for mass horde-type manuevers, but I was factoring in att/def values too. Its the efficiency of turning Cash into Attack Value.

Though I will admit..With a hero, and Zombie Mastery, I'm sure those zombies will win wars for you.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 05, 2011, 02:13:24 am »

Zombies, they win wars.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 05, 2011, 02:18:28 am »

Could well do. We'll have to see how well your zombie horde does in..2 turns? 3?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 05, 2011, 02:31:05 am »

5 and a half? In all seriousness 2, since I'll hopefully be getting my first zombies next turn and then start using them the turn after that.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 05, 2011, 02:35:44 am »

That was my thought, I went so far as 3 just in case you decided to double up on yer zombie horde to start.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 05, 2011, 02:58:58 am »

Just to make thing clear: The Empire doesn't look fondly on people threatening its members. If you only move ONE companies on the Island of Tempest, or do so much as scratching the paint of one of Taricus' galleons, we'll have to crush you.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 05, 2011, 03:00:42 am »

They're both very powerful units, with very significant disadvantages.  Zombies are awesome for the upkeep freedom and their ability to be spawned if you have a necromancer present - but you have to risk a very valuable and expensive unit to use them to their full potential.  Worse still, though nobody has really researched it yet, the Light Magic school gets awesome bonuses vs undead and demonic foes.

Phantom warriors and other illusory-type troops are similarly awesome for their cash/upkeep values.  But if they fight true-sighted or mindless troops (such as zombies), they're about as useful as zombies with none of their benefits.  The later-game unit 'Seers' (the code isn't in for that yet) provides the Truesight bonus to anyone on the battlefield, completely eradicating the bonus of illusory units for the entire battle.

Magic is pretty awesome, but is horribly caster-dependent.  You can severely interfere with an enemy's magical abilities by taking out his casters.  Tech has a slower progression by comparison, but is redundant; unless it's building specific, you can build tech units anywhere.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 05, 2011, 03:06:16 am »

I actually think we cant clearly define anyone's overarching goals (tech wise)yet. Though I may have to go on record as exploring no less than 2 Magic schools.
I loves me my illusory troops, but as you can see, I try to maintain some parity with 'actual' forces. If only I could make my illusions into shock troops..

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 05, 2011, 03:55:15 am »

Been toying with whether to make the phantom warriors shock troops, honestly.  Given how easy they are to replace and all.

Or the eventual overhaul of the combat system to allow you to pick which troops are shock troops.  Which will not be for a long while yet, so nobody start clamouring for it.  Doing that actually will require a code overhaul, and I don't have the time this month.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 05, 2011, 03:57:48 am »

Their ease of replacement -does- suggest shock troop potential. I could make an argument for it. In the end tis up to you though.
But that may end up making them far too powerful, thus necessitating a slight modification to att/def value.

At the least, I'd like it just so I'd stop losing my light swordsmen.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 05, 2011, 04:16:45 am »

Hmm.  Alright, I'll Shock them.  It's added to balance changes for the next turn.  Remember that this means they will rush first against enemy units who may well have advantages over them, rather than letting more suited units take their place.  There's the tradeoff.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 05, 2011, 04:20:59 am »

I may regret this.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 05, 2011, 06:35:00 am »

-RP-

Travel Advisory for the Lands of Highblood
Issued by the Green Blood Union

Hail travellers! Those passing should know our border with the steel empire has become increasingly strained as refugees flee the hostility that is breaking out there between them and the Island of Tempests. The shores are increasingly hazardous, with many armed warships making exploratory raids and naval skirmishes, and the border guards of both nations are more watchful. Reports of magical dancing hobs of fire leading Man and Gnoll into the sea have been reported by some merchant captains, so caution is requested.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 05, 2011, 11:00:28 am »

Off for the evening, but before I go another consideration for a mechanics change.

Separating Flight into true Flight and Buzzers/Gliders.  The former gets to cross all terrains in overland flight etc, but the latter still acts as a ground unit for movement and crossing oceans etc.  The latter unit still gets the bonuses of flight in battle, though (bonus to hit melee units, or melee immunity if ranged as well).

If this goes in, Fireflies will get a change so they become Buzzers.  Their attack/defense will drop slightly, but be countered by the bonus to attacking melee units (against which they will have a slight bonus).  They will become weaker against ranged units and (possibly) spells as a result, however.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 165