Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348810 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1695 on: February 04, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »

time to add a new megabeast! :D

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:00 pm »

Nah, its a creature converter. I mean, look at it! Its perfect!
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 05, 2012, 12:10:35 am »

Sounds like a case of indescriminant "[replace all] men -> ponies". Heh.

Yep, I dun derped. I'll check through the rest of the files for similar mistooks.

Cloning multiple castes ten times over seems excessive. Why not generate thousands of patterns for cutie marks instead? Well, some cutie marks are going to be repeated anyway. For 200 ponies you'd need 200^2 = 40k or more cutie marks to make them unique with 0.5 probability. That said, congratulations on introducing them.

If BODY_SIZE 250000 is in kgs, then that is too much for a pony that has 1m head height. 100 kg is more like it, and probably still too much. 8 foot candy cane comparison

I was surprised by all these tentacled and spider ponies. I expected only the regular variants from the show, and maybe seaponies or flutterponies.

Is there going to be an updated version of this mod with languages, cutie marks, graphic packs, and all anytime soon? Or at least a general table of links with what to download and install?

250 kilos is the smallest size for a zebra, and the ponies seem to be about a quarter of the size of a buffalo, and those weigh about a ton. 250000 is actually cubic centimetres, but since most mammals are about as dense as water it works out at about 250 kilos.

The strange variants are mostly to fill niches regular Dorf Fort expects to have filled, meaning there needs to be an underground civ and an evil civ. Their creature and entity files are easy to wipe if you don't like them, the mod's always been built to be as modular as possible.

The additional stuff isn't ready for primetime just yet. There are some stray untranslated words in the language packs, the graphics packs don't cover all the creatures, and I haven't looked at the cutie marks yet. The big thing in the next release is that it's going to be three releases, Simplified, Traditional and Ornate, so it's taking some time, and I've been a bit caught up with real life stuff recently. That and Terraria.
 The language packs need you to change the translation tag in the entity files, the cutie mark files just drop into the raws and replace the existing creature_pont.txt, and the graphics pack should just need to be dropped in, but I'm not an expert on those.

Cutie marks!

Lovely stuff. I suppose we should probably brainstorm about what kind of things cave ponies, diomedians and zebras would have as cutie marks. I think, though, that with the issues relating to colours and cutie marks having no connection to skills, I'll put it in the ornate version. By the way, cutie marks should probably begin with [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:LOWERBODY:SKIN], but maybe that's just me picking nits. Do pegasus wing colours show up when they have cutie marks?

Nah, its a creature converter. I mean, look at it! Its perfect!

Come on, guys, it's obviously diamond dog royalty! That's gonna be fun, people draft a woodcutter to deal with an itty-bitty doggy thief and then find out it's one of these. Or just have it as an item-thieving predator, twice the size of a pony isn't really enough for a megabeast. Pith helmets also need to be implemented, as do catsuits, and making figurines out of gemstones.

On the Hearthswarming Eve/Realm Divide stuff, what do people think about making the skill learning rates more pronounced, and possibly splitting some reaction between civs? For example, unicorns could have the ability to make gemstone figurines, earth ponies get more fruit from ents, pegasi distil rainbows as a valuable dye/foodstuff or something. Slippies could be able to refine silk to raise its value, and maybe make things like birds nests and furniture out of silk. Aziza zebras could have a reactions to split charcoal or coke into several pieces of new fuel to represent the control of fire, by making them need less fuel.

Did some brainstorming on conjured stone, this is my thinking so far:

0:0:0:Black, Darkstone
0:0:1:Dark Gray, Moonstone
1:0:0:Blue, Seastone
1:0:1:Light Blue, Skystone
2:0:0:Green, Leafstone
2:0:1:Light Green, Grassstone
3:0:0:Cyan, Clearstone
3:0:1:Light Cyan, Lightningstone
4:0:0:Red, Heartstone
4:0:1:Light Red, Firestone
5:0:0:Magenta, Shroomstone
5:0:1:Light Magenta, Funstone
6:0:0:Brown, Earthstone
6:0:1:Yellow, Sunstone
7:0:0:Light Grey, Raincloudstone
7:0:1:White, Cloudstone

I'm thinking these stones should be the same density as featherwood, to prevent their abuse in stone-fall traps, and probably only have a value of two or three, which reflects that they'd require farming to produce rather than being essentially free like most rocks. They'd be produced at a new workshop that uses some new plants, maybe rock flowers, as a reagent, to "capture the essence of the sun" or whichever.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:27 am »

that's a fair question actually, my personal mod doesn't have colored wings on the pegasi so i don't know if the cutiemarks will mess with that...
what i DO know however is that my caste multiplicator does seem to have a teeensy bug where it doesn't properly add the cutie mark prefstring to the original caste... the exact reason why is still eluding me, but the end result is: If you do use ponyclony, you have to manually edit the 8 default castes to add

Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:CM1:1:CM2:1:CM3:1:CM4:1:CM5:1:CM6:1:CM7:1:CM8:1:CM9:1:CM10:1:CM11:1:CM12:1:CM13:1:CM14:1:CM15:1:CM16:1:CM17:1:CM18:1:CM19:1:CM20:1:CM21:1:CM22:1:CM23:1:CM24:1:CM25:1:CM26:1:CM27:1:CM28:1:CM29:1:CM30:1:CM31:1:CM32:1:CM33:1:CM34:1:CM35:1:CM36:1:CM37:1:CM38:1:CM39:1:CM40:1:CM41:1:CM42:1:CM43:1:CM44:1:CM45:1:CM46:1:CM47:1:CM48:1:CM49:1:CM50:1:CM51:1:CM52:1:CM53:1:CM54:1:CM55:1:CM56:1:CM57:1:CM58:1:CM59:1:CM60:1:CM61:1:CM62:1:CM63:1:CM64:1:CM65:1:CM66:1:CM67:1:CM68:1:CM69:1:CM70:1:CM71:1:CM72:1:CM73:1:CM74:1:CM75:1:CM76:1:CM77:1:CM78:1:CM79:1:CM80:1:CM81:1:CM82:1:CM83:1:CM84:1:CM85:1:CM86:1:CM87:1:CM88:1:CM89:1:CM90:1:CM91:1:CM92:1:CM93:1:CM94:1:CM95:1:CM96:1:CM97:1:CM98:1:CM99:1:CM100:1:CM101:1:CM102:1:CM103:1:CM104:1:CM105:1:CM106:1:CM107:1:CM108:1:CM109:1:CM110:1:CM111:1:CM112:1:CM113:1:CM114:1:CM115:1:CM116:1:CM117:1:CM118:1:CM119:1:CM120:1:CM121:1:CM122:1:CM123:1:CM124:1:CM125:1:CM126:1:CM127:1:CM128:1:CM129:1:CM130:1:CM131:1:CM132:1:CM133:1:CM134:1:CM135:1:CM136:1:CM137:1:CM138:1:CM139:1:CM140:1:CM141:1:CM142:1:CM143:1:CM144:1:CM145:1:CM146:1:CM147:1:CM148:1:CM149:1:CM150:1:CM151:1:CM152:1:CM153:1:CM154:1:CM155:1:CM156:1:CM157:1:CM158:1:CM159:1:CM160:1:CM161:1:CM162:1:CM163:1:CM164:1:CM165:1:CM166:1:CM167:1:CM168:1:CM169:1:CM170:1:CM171:1:CM172:1:CM173:1:CM174:1:CM175:1:CM176:1:CM177:1:CM178:1:CM179:1:CM180:1:CM181:1:CM182:1:CM183:1:CM184:1:CM185:1:CM186:1:CM187:1:CM188:1:CM189:1:CM190:1:CM191:1:CM192:1:CM193:1:CM194:1:CM195:1:CM196:1:CM197:1:CM198:1:CM199:1:CM200:1:CM201:1:]
[TLCM_NOUN:cutie mark:SINGULAR]
to the bottom of their appearance tags

I blame the fact that i coded most of the program six months ago, and i have NO idea how it works anymore XD

In other news! I've been idly tinkering with my own version of the mod, it sticks a bit closer to the canon, so there are no diomedans or cave ponies and the buffalo and zebra have only one caste. Its not terribly exciting at the moment as  there are no big-bads but im hoping to make it a bit more interresting, and then maybe put it up here, i know some of my pony friends from G+ was interrested in that, some ponies are very picky about their canon :P

I also had an idea for another feature: a convoluted reaction which end product is raw cloudstuff, which can then be used for building your very own cloudsdale!

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 05, 2012, 12:47:25 am »

Come on, guys, it's obviously diamond dog royalty! That's gonna be fun, people draft a woodcutter to deal with an itty-bitty doggy thief and then find out it's one of these. Or just have it as an item-thieving predator, twice the size of a pony isn't really enough for a megabeast. Pith helmets also need to be implemented, as do catsuits, and making figurines out of gemstones.

I still say that Dogs need there own castes based on dog breeds. Smallish pitbull-like ones raging everywere about your ponies whineing, anyone?

The new beast could be thrown into, were else, the Savage biome. Possibly, we could have a "twisted cat" creature with many bare-bones castes with this guy appering in the swarm about 5% of the time. I am thinking badger-sized swarms of evil beasties.

I also had an idea for another feature: a convoluted reaction which end product is raw cloudstuff, which can then be used for building your very own cloudsdale!

If we ever get the ability to get fliers to build in the sky, holy crap this would be great. Until then, not a good idea.

In other news! I've been idly tinkering with my own version of the mod, it sticks a bit closer to the canon, so there are no diomedans or cave ponies and the buffalo and zebra have only one caste. Its not terribly exciting at the moment as  there are no big-bads but im hoping to make it a bit more interresting, and then maybe put it up here, i know some of my pony friends from G+ was interrested in that, some ponies are very picky about their canon

Was someone not makeing Draconequi a few pages ago? Those might be your baddies.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: February 05, 2012, 01:09:52 am »

Are fedoras going to gain a place in the mod now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnOjpKdOx4Q
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 05, 2012, 12:25:58 pm »

I am at some point intending on removing the wing color and reducing the Zebra/Buffalo types to 1 as well, but I like the other types of ponies and do intend to leave them in.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 05, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »

In other news! I've been idly tinkering with my own version of the mod, it sticks a bit closer to the canon, so there are no diomedans or cave ponies and the buffalo and zebra have only one caste. Its not terribly exciting at the moment as  there are no big-bads but im hoping to make it a bit more interresting, and then maybe put it up here, i know some of my pony friends from G+ was interrested in that, some ponies are very picky about their canon

Was someone not makeing Draconequi a few pages ago? Those might be your baddies.

That would be me.  I've halted doing anything else with the draconequuses (draconequi?) until the next version of DF comes out, because I think maybe something from the interactions system might be fitting in addition to or instead of the syndromes I gave them.

It's also questionable how canon they would be.  We know about Discord of course, and while Cheerilee seemed to imply that there were more of them, at least at some point, we don't know anything about them.  I just assumed that they were a fairly mundane species like ponies, but that they all had magic similar to unicorns.  Discord would be a Celestia / Luna equivalent to them.  I haven't even begun to attempt a Discord level megabeast, where the interactions system would almost certainly be needed.

I couldn't quite figure out what to do with the draconequuses.  I didn't want to give them a civilization, but perhaps that would be fitting.  They had castes, but that was only to vary what sorts of syndromes each draconequus had (i.e. fireballs, necrotizing touch, paralyzing touch, and so on and so forth).  I think I'll end up sizing them as being smaller than ponies.  They're taller perhaps, but thin.

It was all part of my personalization of the mod, which seems to be a popular thing to do.  Fanon is just about as common as canon with MLP:FiM.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: February 05, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »

@Telgin

Presumably, they would be powerful wandering creatures with the same three-caste setup as the other races, but would be too chaotic to actualy form civs. Perhapes the "common" version can be taken into other civs al la the relationship bettween trolls and goblins? Even if there not actualy armed and armored, the fact that they would have potent syndromes of varying potency and probably have high-ish base skills would make them a different chalange than your average sieger. A genuine "royal" one would probably have all the stuff the lesser versions have plus the uber sheild wich might have its own effects.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 05, 2012, 05:58:26 pm »

It will be interresting to see what kind of interactions we can do with the new system... maybe having a draconequus with discording powers, changing the ponies into mean versions of themselves :P

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 05, 2012, 06:19:21 pm »

changing the ponies into mean versions of themselves :P
Er, the problem there is that they were changed into whatever the opposite of their "element" was.
Fluttershy, the element of kindness, became a hateful bitch; Applejack, the element of honesty, became a liar, etc.
Big Macintosh, the silent workstallion became a barky playful dog.
The fan-named Screwball, who appears to be a nurse in the hospital (which treats mental patients), went stark raving mad (ie became a mental patient herself).
Yes, I know they have different cutie marks.  Hush :P
Indeed, the only ones that became 'mean' did so only because of the interactions with their anti-element (with the exception of Fluttershy, whose anti-element was BEING mean).  Rarity wouldn't let anybody touch her rock, etc.

(ITP: Jay overanalyzes things again)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:25:14 pm by Jay »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 05, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »

I'd actually considered having them show up in sieges along with diomedians.  Except in this case I adjusted the mod to just make them "discordant" ponies.  They're the same as regular ponies (not tentacle ponies or darkbolts, just discordant unicorns and discordant pegasi).  Draconequuses could show up with them in sieges and add a little Fun to the mix.

I think the new interaction system should allow for this.  Imagine the trouble it would cause if your legendary axe pony runs up to a draconequus and is immediately transformed into a legendary discordant axe pony who turns on his friends?  Perhaps that should only be allowed for the megabeast variety...

Also makes me wonder what sorts of unicorn magic we can add in the next mod version.  I wonder if it will be possible to add workshops that allow you to add interactions to a creature... teaching unicorns spells, for example.  Or if we'll have to create new castes of unicorns with different spells.

For that matter, do we even know how well fortress mode will play with interactions?  I unfortunately could forsee a draconequus either never using his corrupting touch or only using it extremely rarely, due to the AI.  I fear that were beast / necromancy interactions will be hard coded.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: February 05, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »

I fear that were beast / necromancy interactions will be hard coded.
I'm pretty sure that at this stage of the development, he knows better than that :P

There've been a few peeks at the new raws over in the FotF, you might want to take a look.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: February 05, 2012, 06:50:19 pm »

I'm pretty sure that at this stage of the development, he knows better than that :P

There've been a few peeks at the new raws over in the FotF, you might want to take a look.

My god, he better. :P I want my werebronies, darn it!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: February 05, 2012, 07:30:06 pm »

I'm just concerned that the AI is hardcoded or stupid.  I know he stated that an interaction that allowed you to breathe underwater shouldn't be expected to be used by a creature that found itself drowning, for instance.

Oh well, I guess just the thought that the draconequus could turn your legendary soldiers against you is incentive enough to find some better way to kill them, eh?  Even if they're probably too stupid to use it first.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 140