Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348592 times)

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1035 on: November 09, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »

You should put the canon-ponies into a spike danger room  ;D Either they will die horribly and get you more comic material, or they will be unkillable killing machines!

Speaking of which, do unicorn ponies drop/yield their horns when killed or butchered?  I can imagine those being of a valuable craftable material, like shells are.

Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 09, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »

You should put the canon-ponies into a spike danger room  ;D Either they will die horribly and get you more comic material, or they will be unkillable killing machines!

Ah, but that kind of takes the fun out of it.  I wouldn't have expected Applejack to end up getting her skull kicked in by Braeburn after failing a mood, for example.  Or Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo both getting killed right next to each other by the same forgotten beast.

Fluttershy... well, she just kind of got deadly dusted.  Derpy went down in the same attack, I'll probably work that in somewhere.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 09, 2011, 02:40:13 pm »

Ah, but that kind of takes the fun out of it.  I wouldn't have expected Applejack to end up getting her skull kicked in by Braeburn after failing a mood, for example.  Or Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo both getting killed right next to each other by the same forgotten beast.

Fluttershy... well, she just kind of got deadly dusted.  Derpy went down in the same attack, I'll probably work that in somewhere.
Here lies Derpy Hooves
R.I.P.
"Muuufffffiiiinnnnssssss..."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 09, 2011, 03:20:26 pm »

A song for Fluttershy with no context about her death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't worry, it's a parody. Didn't actually mean a thing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:22:22 pm by Fniff »

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 10, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »

Nidokoenig, I have said this before, but to remind you, I'm a modding newb, so how do I change the Lion civ to be called the Griffon civ?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 10, 2011, 05:12:52 pm »

Open up creature_pony_lion.txt
Find this line, near the top:

Code: [Select]
[NAME:lion:lions:lion]
Change it to:

Code: [Select]
[NAME:griffon:griffons:griffon]
or simply use find and replace to replace the first with the second. That should do it.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 10, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

Hi, got another silly idea.

I'm not sure what the current slippies are and do exactly (inspired by norse myth) but why not turn them into their own civilization of pony vikings? Hardy pioneers traversing the colder realms of the world who call themselves the Slippies. Don't know if it's even possible, I've never seen anything grow in the frozen regions.

PS: they are smaller then ordinary ponies right? Don't understand that at all, aren't they inspired by that mighty steed of odin? A fantastical strong and fast creature? Would make more sense if the reverse were true.

EDIT: almost forgot. You could give the winged ponies extra wing attacks, not sure if you want to because that would make the overpowered ponies even stronger. I'm just mentioning it because in real life, wings make for some pretty strong armament and those that celestia has look damn powerful.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:44:34 pm by Vandala »
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:20 pm »

I came up with the idea for slippies when I was researching horse demons for the diomedian castes. I saw the entry on Slepnir and thought: "Ah, a GCS pony!" and decided to make the cave ponies. They're quite a bit smaller than other ponies, yes, but they're very fast, shoot web and are immune to traps. They're also better at mechanics, anything to do with thread and a few farming skills. The size is balanced out by their advantages, and the fact that they have draltha ponies as back-up. Phantom slippies are one of the animal pony civs now, and if you want a creature that's eight legged and powerful, the Underlords fit the bill.

As for wing attacks, good idea. I'll do that.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 10, 2011, 08:13:23 pm »

I'm beginning to understand why I don't understand some of the aspects of this mod, it makes no sense sometimes.

Anyway, you could also make an albino underground pony race, sounds more creepy to me, you can make them smaller or thinner then the ordinary pony. They would start underground and farm/ride spiders or something. They could be the harder to play race.

But if you want evil why not copy some of the fanfiction that's out there, I read this one where there was an alternate world with evil pony copies. You can pull a drow on the ponies and simply have a civ that is the same as the origional combined civ but turn it evil. No need for vampires and tentacles and that stuff, just an evil culture that delights in torture and building dark mountain fortresses and such.

Another idea: you could split up the main pony civ into it's three component pony races. That might make them more thriving on the world map or at least give them three separate chances. You could even keep the combined civ intact alongside it. This would also give players a chance to play with a single race. Though it might make civ selection even more of a mess then it sometimes already is.

PS: are there any nightmares yet? Seems like an obvious choice to me.

EDIT: again, almost forgot. The flying ability is quite problematic, they get stuck an awful lot. Probably already bin mentioned by others but still.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:15:32 pm by Vandala »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 10, 2011, 08:30:31 pm »

The problem with making more races is that world gen gets pretty crowded as is.

The diomedians do well enough as an evil race. I've been thinking for a while of rejigging them a little, but not too much.

Splitting the civs makes sense, but I'd probably include it as a separate module, rather than in the main mod.

I'm planning to add things like nightmares, headless horses, headless kamikaze horses, yes, plus royal versions of various animal ponies as semimega- and megabeasts.

Flying's been mentioned. The way to fix it is to remove the [FLIER] tag from the four castes it appears in(eight for rainbows). When I've suggested turning it off by default, people tend to object. It's more a bug with DF than the mod, you'll just have to choose between buggy flying you can exploit, or no flying.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 10, 2011, 09:07:04 pm »

Another question.

How does modded foodstuff work? Will any added foodstuff automatically work with any civilization or race or creature or do you have to make them be able to eat/use it?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 10, 2011, 09:33:53 pm »

They should all work right off the bat, though they are all considered plants, so obviously carnivores can't eat them. And nobody will ever try to eat figurines or statues.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 10, 2011, 10:03:05 pm »

I believe some crops should work right from the box. but "trees" and the baked goods need to have the relevant building and reaction permissions. (the vanilla races have that added in, but have their site and biome preferences commented out to reduce crowding in worldgen) The readme folder contains files with the relevant data to make other custom races and plants compatible, if you so choose.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 10, 2011, 11:51:06 pm »

I've been trying to remove the unusual buffalo, zebra, and griffon castes, and have run into a load of work. Names and learning rates being the main culprits, as there is no "standard" one for any of them. With the griffon civ, renaming is especially time consuming since the civ standard is lion, even though there AREN'T normal lions as a caste. Having to rename the buffalo showed that they have gender specific caste NAMES. While this is okay, it is completely inconsistent, since you don't call them unicorn mares, or pegasus fillies. While looking over all the files, I also noticed that diamond dogs are a bit small. Furthermore, I wish to remove cave ponies altogether, but the fact that their castes are reproduced within the rainbow pony files makes this a bit of a chore. Is there any way to speed all this up? Also, would it be possible to add river based megabeasts? [PREFSTRING:fabulous mustaches]

EDIT: Also, why do Diamond Dogs have [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK]?

EDIT2: And come to think of it, what are the bird's nests for?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:05:39 am by Theropod Watcher »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 11, 2011, 12:03:23 am »

Carnivores die in world gen without them.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 140