Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348348 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #645 on: October 15, 2011, 12:06:43 am »

Heh, I'll have to have my next fort have ponies named after the canon characters. I'm gonna have to breach the pit if I'm gonna end my current one. 115 ponies, no sieges, 2 Forgotten Beasts, and only 3 deaths. One was from the first FB, the second was a mason who starved after walling himself in, which I totally missed, and the most recent was my starting miner who I loved, made a personality, name, and pony creator image for her, and she died from a cavern collapse I stupidly caused.

My fort started out like that.  Then a pony named Jollyrancher decided to make some chausses with adamantine and gems sticking out all over, nearly doubling my fort's value.  A couple of massive sieges later I learned that I didn't know as much about the military as I thought.  I think I lost over 50 ponies between the sieges and a couple of forgotten beasts.  Before this I'd lost like 5 to failed moods and 2 to sieges.  I'm losing ponies faster than I can train them.  :(

One of those beasts breathed something on Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo that killed them (and only them) on the spot.  Wish I could find the combat log of that.

I think it's stabilizing though, now that I have adamantine axes and armor.  I've repelled a few ambushes with dramatically fewer casualties.  Digging around in adamantine for the first time... can't wait to hit the HFS.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 15, 2011, 03:19:53 am »

One of those beasts breathed something on Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo that killed them (and only them) on the spot.  Wish I could find the combat log of that.
Quarantine the area, there may be more contagion about  :o

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 15, 2011, 12:37:41 pm »

Quarantine the area, there may be more contagion about  :o

Whoops, that was a few game months ago.  Can contagions have delays that long?  Guess if I'm in for some Fun it's too late to stop it now.  :)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #648 on: October 15, 2011, 01:32:20 pm »

Whoops, that was a few game months ago.  Can contagions have delays that long?  Guess if I'm in for some Fun it's too late to stop it now.  :)

If the effect is a slow blistering followed by necrosis, you might not notice until people start to die (or start spawning errors due to missing limbs) a few months later, but most likely from your description it's safe by now.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 15, 2011, 02:24:40 pm »

New goal. Train a female pegasus elite wrestler, name her Fluttershy.
(see s2e3 for explanation)

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 15, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »

Twilight Cancels Write Report: Twilight has gone Stark Raving Mad!

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 15, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »

New goal: attempt to make a complicated list that will detail everything the fort must accomplish within a season, and stop everything if it does not get done according to plan. Ex: "Every tree within this 36x35 space must be chopped down before the farmers finish there 13 plot, otherwise the rotation of the pastures will be delayed."

Its the little things that count.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 15, 2011, 04:10:56 pm »

Nidokoenig, a couple of things here. First Regarding wood, in vanilla, there are 31 types of it. With Conjuring and your added plants that adds 37 types of wood. That's a total of 68 types of logs your nobles can beg for. But then, there's painting, in 16 colors, which brings the total of unique types of logs to 1088. This means the odds of you actually being able to produce the one type of wood your nobles want for their stuff, is nigh impossible. While its not as fun, maybe just have *yellow logs* instead of *yellow painted conjured prickle berry logs*. This would mean there would only be 80 types of logs, a bit easier to find than 1 in 1088.

The second thing is that I do not really like having odd types of zebras and buffalo. Diomedians are fine, and cave ponies I'm on the fence about, but is there someway to easily remove the extra castes? Don't you think you might have got a bit carried away with the whole triple-caste thing?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 15, 2011, 05:14:29 pm »

New goal. Train a female pegasus elite wrestler, name her Fluttershy.
(see s2e3 for explanation)

I just made her my butcher and called it a day. :)

Back on to the mod though: what's the deal with apples?  From what I've picked up / experimented with, the apple tree creatures can be sheared for apples, which have to be then cleaned... somehow.

I've tried shearing them, but cleaning apples seems to be a crapshoot.  I've queued up some apple cleaning, but after 1 or 2 apple cleanings I just get a lot of spam about needing APPLE_CLEAN_BASKET or something like that.  I'm guessing I just haven't sheared enough apples off of the trees?  And am I correct in that the trees move dirt slow and have to be moved to a farmer's workshop to be sheared?  Maybe I should build a workshop next to a small pasture orchard or something.

Can the apples be eaten raw after being cleaned, or do they have to be cooked into something?

Also, is it actually possible to mod the ponies to be vegetarians?  I've been sort of forcing that on myself for the challenge, but migrant ponies arrive with hunting or fishing enabled and sometimes I miss them.  Not sure if it adds to the fun or not, since the ponies are supposed to vegetarians.  But, it adds to the dark humor when I've got Fluttershy butchering badgers and macaques and Pinkie Pie turning them into muffins.

I did find it fitting that they butchered the FB that breathed death onto Rainbow Dash though. :)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 15, 2011, 05:25:31 pm »

The second thing is that I do not really like having odd types of zebras and buffalo. Diomedians are fine, and cave ponies I'm on the fence about, but is there someway to easily remove the extra castes? Don't you think you might have got a bit carried away with the whole triple-caste thing?

I personaly found that the two-horned zebras where not needed, so I deleted everything related to them in there RAWs and set the castes accordingly.  Thankfuly, there raws are not too cluttered, so finding what one needs to alter is rather easy.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Surp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 15, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »

Well hello there fellow bronys.

So i tried to get some sprites into the game based on ironhands graphic set.
I will do more but also habe some questions:

How the hell do i get this to work?

the sprites namend ponies.png
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this is how the graphics_ponies.txt looks like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But it doesn't work. I only see the "p" for pony.

Question 2: is it possible to make AND use different sprites for genders and castes? So that, for example,  a female uniorn looks not the same as a male pegasi?
Question3: would it also be possible to make a sprite for each color?(ok this will be big work of so...) so that a pegasi with green coat, pink mane and red wings really has a sprite like that?
Question4: Transpiracy. How does it work? Does it need some extra changes in some files?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 15, 2011, 06:56:51 pm »

Mandates requiring unavailable resources have always been a problem, but I see what you mean about it creating too big of a problem. I haven't had too much of a issue with it, though, I'd have thought being completely unable to acquire some varieties of wood except in small amounts by caravan or requiring a trojan pony attack would be a bigger problem. It'd be easy enough to put all painted woods onto one plant and change the reactions accordingly, I'll make an optional module for that. Should I differentiate between tree, conjured, ent and trojan wood? Just be aware that if I do I'll make rubberwood trees convert to painted trojan wood for a giggle.

As for castes, all you have to do is delete both male and female castes of a kind and their description data from the end of the creature file, and maybe rejig pop ratios. While I understand it may seem a bit much to do it for everything, it's important to me for mod to create a world that ponies live in alongside other creatures who have the same level of care lavished on them, rather than a world where ponies are obviously the chosen kind, it's a verisimilitude issue for me(yes, I know, I know). I'll change the spacings for the castes and add notes for how to remove them.

Cleaning apples should work fine, just remember that you only get one basket per ent. Since basket cleaning takes so damn long because of the body part cluttering issue I've decided to increase the yield from 5 to 8. One issue you may be having is that the baskets are rotting or not stockpiled, I'm going to see if I can get that solved. Ponies drag the ents at pony speed, travel time doesn't seem to be held up by their speed or size, but it's always an idea to have shearable and milkable animals penned in because of the Pen/Pasture Large Animal spam that no labour permission will stop, you need a wall for that.

Apples are edible raw, they can also be cooked, brewed, "sliced" into leaves like quarry bushes, made into apple sauce and conjured. Must get that graph done.

No tag to turn the ponies into vegetablists, as far as I know, only carnivore and bonecarn affect diet. Although, in the entity file there are tags for workshop and job permissions, you could just remove the ones for the butcher's shop. That'd interfere with getting ent wood, though, and various products from banana, plantain and ensete ents that are coming in the update. Plus you won't be able to process cake, chocolate, booze gum or marshmallow ponies, if you enable them.

Sprites aren't my forte, but from what me and adecoy95 were able to discern, you can only make sprites for job titles, for example, we planned to have Pinkie Pie as the sprite for cooks and drunks. That would mean ponies would tend to have the right icon for their skill rates, but that's an imperfect solution since immigrants and players will disregard skill rates for various good reasons. There's certainly no way to make it match their descriptions, even if you were willing to make thousands of sprites to match every variety of coat, mane and wing colour on an ibis zebra. Transparency is supposed to be achieved by the program ignoring the screaming pink colour.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:33:53 pm by Nidokoenig »

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 16, 2011, 12:30:50 am »

Thanks, although because of my lack of modding expertise, I really didn't understand either of your answers.

Also, looking through some of the creature files...

[PREFSTRING:enticing hindquarters]

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 16, 2011, 01:08:34 am »

Well, for the wood problem, I'd just be making new raws that make one to four kinds of generic wood, based on whether people prefer tree, conjured, ent and trojan wood to be differentiated, I'll just do both and include the altered files as an alternative.
 For deleting castes, open up a creature file. You'll notice [CASTE:FEMALE_PLAINS], for example, and everything from there down to [CASTE:FEMALE_WOOD] is defining the female plains bison caste. Delete that, and the female plains bison will not appear in worlds generated using those raws, though you should delete the description data from the bottom of the file as well, everything from [SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE_PLAINS] down to the next [SELECT_CASTE bit. If you're unsure, I'll be adding spacing and notes in the next version so you can be certain of which bits to cut out.

And yeah, there are a fair few bits of silliness like that. It's all I could do to resist adding horse ponies as an animal pony species. "A horse-like equinoid. Huh."
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:10:52 am by Nidokoenig »

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 16, 2011, 01:15:11 am »

yeah this mod is a bit silly, but, that is half the fun, I find.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 140