Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348381 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #630 on: October 13, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »

You see, that is exactly why I don't name my ponies after in-show characters.
They all die.

This is why I love Dwarf Fortress though.  It lets me do terrible things to the characters I love.  Or... let them to it to themselves anyway.

I unfortunately haven't had much fun with the no namer ponies I conjured names for.  Bubble Wrap, Thunder Thighs, Glass Jaw, Sugar Britches, they're all getting along swimmingly.
*facehoof*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 13, 2011, 03:59:51 pm »

They all die.

This is why I love Dwarf Fortress though.  It lets me do terrible things to the characters I love.  Or... let them to it to themselves anyway.

I unfortunately haven't had much fun with the no namer ponies I conjured names for.  Bubble Wrap, Thunder Thighs, Glass Jaw, Sugar Britches, they're all getting along swimmingly.
*facehoof*

Her description was quite explicit about how enormously fat she was, so, y'know...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 13, 2011, 04:01:05 pm »

They all die.

*facehoof*

Her description was quite explicit about how enormously fat she was, so, y'know...
Yeah...

Fat poneh.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 14, 2011, 04:20:56 am »

Woah, something I noticed just now: royal buffalo have the same pop ratio as all the others. I'll try setting it to the normal values so they aren't a quarter of the population, should have a big effect on world gen.

Also, while looking at some of the element men for info on how to make terracotta ponies and cake ponies with cream filling and such, I noticed this in the magma man entry:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, am I being derpy or does that mean the crust is overwriting the magma? The iron man entry has TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER for the gas, I assume that's how the magma men should be. I'll test regular magma ponies versus ones with the fix in arena, see if they bleed magma like they should.

Following on from my remark about "Why are there only animal men and not animal dwarves, etc", I've decided to add in animal zebras, buffalo and griffons, etc, as well as working on some more variety for existing animal ponies, and I suppose general animal animals, unicorns, tentacles, slippies, that sort of thing, maybe royalty as semi-megabeasts.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 14, 2011, 05:49:18 am »

Woah, something I noticed just now: royal buffalo have the same pop ratio as all the others. I'll try setting it to the normal values so they aren't a quarter of the population, should have a big effect on world gen.

Also, while looking at some of the element men for info on how to make terracotta ponies and cake ponies with cream filling and such, I noticed this in the magma man entry:

Now, am I being derpy or does that mean the crust is overwriting the magma? The iron man entry has TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER for the gas, I assume that's how the magma men should be. I'll test regular magma ponies versus ones with the fix in arena, see if they bleed magma like they should.

Following on from my remark about "Why are there only animal men and not animal dwarves, etc", I've decided to add in animal zebras, buffalo and griffons, etc, as well as working on some more variety for existing animal ponies, and I suppose general animal animals, unicorns, tentacles, slippies, that sort of thing, maybe royalty as semi-megabeasts.

About the Magma Man tissue thing, it actually combines both tissues in the same layer. I have tested this once with my Hellfire Colossi, which was lost by mass deleting stuff. It had a tissue of fire and obsidian on the same layer, and hitting it fractured the colossus and removed a bit of the flames. It also melted anything that was wrestling it due to it being surrounded by fire.

TL;DR: The tissue thing works like a double layering of stuff when put on the same layer, and hitting the same tissue layer damages both tissues applied in the layer.

EDIT: Putting the magma underneath the normal layer will allow it to bleed, if there's also a [TISSUE_LEAKS] tag in the magma tissue itself. It will only bleed when the creature has a hole carved in it's body, and it will leak out the whole tissue at a very fast rate.

An alternative to that would be assigning the magma as the creature's blood, but the creature will die if it bled out much of it's magma supply.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:56:53 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #635 on: October 14, 2011, 11:53:12 am »

I peaked at about 80 ponies, but then my lack of a military or any defenses at all was brutally pointed out to me by a caravan arriving along with FIVE (yeah, I was a little alarmed too) ambushes - two goblin ambushes (has anyone else totally stopped fearing goblins? They ca'n't hope to stand up to even untrained ponies), one cave pony ambush, and two Diomedian ambushes - one of tentacle ponies with crossbows and one of darkbolt lashers.

That eventually whittled my population down to about 40, but I now have a well-trained 10-pony squad for defense, so I think things are a bit more stable now.

Heh, heh, heh, stable.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 14, 2011, 12:28:20 pm »

I peaked at about 80 ponies, but then my lack of a military or any defenses at all was brutally pointed out to me by a caravan arriving along with FIVE (yeah, I was a little alarmed too) ambushes - two goblin ambushes (has anyone else totally stopped fearing goblins? They ca'n't hope to stand up to even untrained ponies), one cave pony ambush, and two Diomedian ambushes - one of tentacle ponies with crossbows and one of darkbolt lashers.

That eventually whittled my population down to about 40, but I now have a well-trained 10-pony squad for defense, so I think things are a bit more stable now.

Heh, heh, heh, stable.

Haven't seen any goblins myself, I thought they'd be modded out.

The diomedians are challenging enough.  I had some diomedian archers show up in my last siege, which managed to kill about 1/4th of my military and a few civillians.  I forgot that diomedian pegasi could fly over my walls...

I've seen surprisingly little action from the enemy though.  Only 2 sieges, 1 ambush and 1 FB in about 6 years of gameplay.  I must not generate enough wealth... even though I'm up to about 170 ponies.

My nobles are starting to tick me off though.  Only once have they issued a mandate that I could fill.  My previous mayor Rafale (a pegasus, named him after a fighter jet) keeps demanding molemarian leather items.  No idea what that even is.  Then Sugar Britches (my chief medical pony and other time mayor) wants brass.  Guess what?  Can't make that either.

Then I get appointed a barony and assign Celestia as my baroness.  She promptly demands something made of steel, which I again can't produce.  I think I have 3 royals... maybe I should have appointed Luna instead.

They would do well to remember that I have an atom smasher, and won't take kindly to them imprisoning my soldiers for failed production mandates again...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 14, 2011, 01:02:48 pm »

Heh, heh, heh, stable.

Haven't seen any goblins myself, I thought they'd be modded out.

The diomedians are challenging enough.  I had some diomedian archers show up in my last siege, which managed to kill about 1/4th of my military and a few civillians.  I forgot that diomedian pegasi could fly over my walls...

I've seen surprisingly little action from the enemy though.  Only 2 sieges, 1 ambush and 1 FB in about 6 years of gameplay.  I must not generate enough wealth... even though I'm up to about 170 ponies.

My nobles are starting to tick me off though.  Only once have they issued a mandate that I could fill.  My previous mayor Rafale (a pegasus, named him after a fighter jet) keeps demanding molemarian leather items.  No idea what that even is.  Then Sugar Britches (my chief medical pony and other time mayor) wants brass.  Guess what?  Can't make that either.

Then I get appointed a barony and assign Celestia as my baroness.  She promptly demands something made of steel, which I again can't produce.  I think I have 3 royals... maybe I should have appointed Luna instead.

They would do well to remember that I have an atom smasher, and won't take kindly to them imprisoning my soldiers for failed production mandates again...
Luna has been struck down!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 14, 2011, 02:28:02 pm »

Heh, now it would be quite hilarious if Celestia threw Luna in the dungeon for failing that production mandate.  Or threw a tantrum near her and kicked her skull in (still seems to be the favored way for ponies to dispatch things).

Luna's an engraver I think though, so little chance of that.  She made a fine engraving of Applejack's episode in my dining hall. :D

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »

Heh, now it would be quite hilarious if Celestia threw Luna in the dungeon for failing that production mandate.  Or threw a tantrum near her and kicked her skull in (still seems to be the favored way for ponies to dispatch things).

Luna's an engraver I think though, so little chance of that.  She made a fine engraving of Applejack's episode in my dining hall. :D
Luna's a depressed artist, putting her misery in historical art form.

Just wait until she depicts Celestia's tyranny and/or hated vermin  :P

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 14, 2011, 07:24:47 pm »

Heh, I'll have to have my next fort have ponies named after the canon characters. I'm gonna have to breach the pit if I'm gonna end my current one. 115 ponies, no sieges, 2 Forgotten Beasts, and only 3 deaths. One was from the first FB, the second was a mason who starved after walling himself in, which I totally missed, and the most recent was my starting miner who I loved, made a personality, name, and pony creator image for her, and she died from a cavern collapse I stupidly caused.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 14, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This...  explanes a lot, actualy. A whole lot. I see that we have found the other main cause of the buffalos takeover in world gen: a quarter of the population arethe size of elephants.

Hey, in case anyone wants to know, I have found a good solution to the currant semimegabeasts not realy being "pony." In the Wizards mod , there are semimegabeast versions of Griffons and Manticores. Both are powerful, but the griffon is larger and the manticore has a realy nasty sting. Just up there breeding rates and BAM, you got yourself a more ponyfide world gen.

Also, here is my personal abomination, created for a fort active in the Giant in the Playground forums.

Fun fact: Its best to ignore the discription.

Also: aim for the legs. You will thank me.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:36:42 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 14, 2011, 08:32:53 pm »

Hey Nido, after you put in the Griffin race mind putting in the Diamond Dogs? You could have them be both a skulking (ie. thief) and snatcher race, although, I think that only works on fillies. I imagine them to be tougher, larger kobolds (I think they're, on average, slightly larger than a pony) and were seen using at least iron weapons in the show. I need to rewatch that episode again to make sure.

Also, Pokon, mind spoiler-ing that, its pretty long.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 14, 2011, 08:44:27 pm »

Hey Nido, after you put in the Griffin race mind putting in the Diamond Dogs? You could have them be both a skulking (ie. thief) and snatcher race, although, I think that only works on fillies. I imagine them to be tougher, larger kobolds (I think they're, on average, slightly larger than a pony) and were seen using at least iron weapons in the show. I need to rewatch that episode again to make sure.

Yeah, they had at least some iron weapons, in any case.

You know, I could actualy see them being multicasted along with the rest of this mod, but not in the same way as the others. Rather, have castes based on a few dog breeds! For example, a pitbull-based diamand dog would rage in the face of danger, while a great dane ( or a another large breed) could be very large but unskilled.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 14, 2011, 10:11:03 pm »

TL;DR: The tissue thing works like a double layering of stuff when put on the same layer, and hitting the same tissue layer damages both tissues applied in the layer.

Brilliant. Hm, that means we could have marbled chocolate ponies, black and white cookie ponies, all sorts.

I've got diamond dogs all set, I just want to make the next update a solid one rather than throw out a new one. Partly I'm lazy, partly I believe it's best to let code sit for a while so the bugs can be shaken out. The dogs are pretty much just vanilla dogs with brains and graspy mouths at the moment, though.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 140