Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348699 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2011, 03:18:45 pm »

mross - It doesn't matter if you change the name in that tag.  It's just defining a new plant, so you can name it whatever you like.  The only thing you have to look for is other places in the raws that might reference that plant, although I'm pretty sure that vanilla DF doesn't reference the plants anywhere else.

Anyways, this mod is hilarious!  A little easy, since a single untrained Recruit can take down a Skeletal Giant Bull Moose or a horde of skeletal parasprites by itself - yeah my first embark was in a terrifying taiga - but since that makes the ponies kind of badass, I like it. XD  Keep up the good work. :3

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2011, 03:48:24 pm »

Nice. Time to change everything!

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2011, 04:19:43 pm »

Nice one, I'll note that down. I'm pretty sure placement doesn't matter, but I'll put it with the rest of the biome/site data because that's where people will look for it.

For candy, what I'd do is add a candy material(s) to the plants. Then you could take dwarven sugar/syrup and maybe some other ingredients to make things like candied apples(or candied plump helmets). For hard candies(I'll call them sweets because I'm English and Dorf Fort tends to go for the old fashioned terms anyway), there'd be a way to make an extract from the plants and then mix that with sugar/syrup for a slightly more valuable sweet that's essentially hardened sugar flavoured with that extract. Marshmallows are basically sugar held together with gelatin, IIRC, so I could just add a marshmallow material that's made from cartilage and sugar. Hmm, looking at Wikipedia, they were traditionally made from the marshmallow plant, and softer ones can be made using egg whites or agar. Wheat worms might be usable as marshmallow base(anybody want to try this at home?). I'll see which plants I think might be good for making mallows from, rather than just flavouring or colouring them. Candy canes I'll probably handle by requiring to kinds of dye, rather than two flavours, since they're going to be derivatives of the flavour plant.

Another idea is bread and cakes. Take flour, mix it with some kind of booze for fluid and as a raising agent(since we don't have baking soda), and make the resulting batter [EDIBLE_WHEN_COOKED]. And edible raw if it's a sweet version using eggs and sugar or mead. Ponies can then use this in cooking, since they're already making cupcakes, pies, muffins and baked bads. We'll assume the dough in big tasty stews is made into dumplings.

Here's my current list of bugs and plans for the next version:

Bugs:

wood wood bug: conjured woods have wood at the end of their names, this is wrong and makes ponies have preferences for (colour) painted conjured (plant) wood wood.
apple slices: green apple slices are just called apple slices.
Prefstrings: Ent prefstrings not displaying right now. May be due to having caste-level descriptions, I've seen ponies that like green apple ents for their .
[BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] needed for civs to expand.
Adjust dye plant biomes to combat farming issues, maybe by switching to [BENIGN] and [SAVAGE] tags.

Planned for next time:

Fix Diamond Dogs
Add Griffons as a civ. Maybe change creature_fanciful griffons to gryphons for giggles.
Add more ents: lemon, lime, orange, laraha, banana, plantain, ensete, pear.
Painted leather: Add various painted leathers, reactions for that, and add them to standard materials.
Cocktails, candied plants, sweets, dough(savoury and sweet) as derivatives of various plants.
Marshmallows as animal and plant derivatives. Separate reactions for cartilage, hide, bones and skulls. Hoofs and horns are keratin so they're useless.

That's a lot of very fiddly stuff and none of the bugs are too serious, so feel free to settle in, this'll take a while.

I might make a challenge version with various surface-dwelling animal pony civs to harass the player. Another possible solution is to add more megabeasts, or maybe hemi-semi-megabeasts creature that are just big, ubiquitous and predatory, with a small population, so that wherever you embark, you could be attacked by something nasty long before megabeasts show up. These'd definitely be additional modules, so don't worry. And anyway, it may be an easy beginning, but you're going to be besieged by diomedian ponies later.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 03, 2011, 12:16:22 am »

FRIENDSHIP MAKES IT HAPPEN

Dwarf could really use some of Rarity's fashion advice.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2011, 01:40:27 am »

An adventurer explored a cavern, and found a collection of abandoned and buried buildings. Searching, there was only one thing left: a scrap of paper.

It has been two weeks since Princess Celestia was assassinated by an unknown pony. The entire nation has collapsed in anarchy and war, and a magical storm has mutated ponies into... things. I fear a new dark age. Fiefdoms have already began to form, and everypony thinks it is the end of Equestria. This is probably going to be my last words on paper for a while now, maybe forever.

- Twilight Sparkle.
The adventurer throws the scrap away. He cannot read.

My personal explanation for the lack of a unified Equestria in this mod.

thetyler101

• Bay Watcher
  • [SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 04, 2011, 09:52:57 am »

Update from me, the greatest of all possible Tylers. 
Exiting happenings ponies!
Noticing that zebras tend to expand much, MUCH faster and farther than ponies I decided to switch them over to cities to see if its a lifestyle thing. Lo and behold whatever the Zebras are doing, it may be the way to go as they still expand faster than ponies.  Not only that, but said ponies seem to have gotten the idea from there stripy neighbors as there rate of growth has also increased!  Maximum site allotment? Zebra pop allowed to grow before pony? 
Must explore and test more fully before I can say anything definitive.  Going to spend some time in the raw's diggin and a changin till somthing cool happens. May change pony litter size and see what happens. Will keep you beautiful people updated as I go!!

TheTyler101 Singing Out!  :D

Give that bitch some stone crafts, bitches love stone crafts.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 04, 2011, 10:01:25 am »

hehe, i've been messing around with the raws aswell, i started out by reducing the pony ages a bit, 200 years was a bit much i think.. so now the ponies that show up at my fort are usually between 20-30 instead of 100-120. I've also removed the colored wings from the normal pegasi, as they tend to just have silly color differences.. (blue maned yellow pony with pink wings, whoo!)

Diomedan ponies probably needs to be buffed a bit.. at the moment they usually just get beat on by hyperexpanding buffalo and zebra due to their conflicting ideals. And they can't even begin to fight the sheer number advantage, so the end result is that 3/4 of my world gen past year 100 has no diomedan ponies at all.

There also seems to be some issues with starvation for the non tree-huggers, both normal, cave and diomedan ponies seem to die of starvation alot, while the zebras and buffalo just expand across the entire map

thetyler101

• Bay Watcher
  • [SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2011, 01:43:08 pm »

Sorcerer, that is fantastic! Dose lowering the age affect the population?
Hell I had no idea there was a problem with the diomedan ponies.  I think we need to stick the cave ponies in the mountains, right now they spawn in the hills and don't do... anything.  May be the same problem as the diomedan.
There has to be a reason zebras and buffalo hyperexspand like that!  What have we not looked into yet?  Can the word gen file have somthing to do with it perhaps? 

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2011, 09:11:08 am »

Problem with diomedans are that they are at odds with everyone, and don't have the goblins advantage of not having to eat, being immortal, and breeding like crazy :P

My last worldgen actually listed my diomedan ponies to be in active war with buffalo, zebra and cave ponies, not just the dashed line, but WAR!
viewing legends revealed that there were all of 20 diomedan ponies left, and they were mostly living in pony settlements, the leader of the diomedan civ was a night creature that had run off, and the other three civs were just pillaging empty sites over and over

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 05, 2011, 09:52:31 am »

Looking at one of the humongous world's I've got, there are large civilisations for regular, cave, rainbow and zebra, and the usual buffalo running wild(They brought 2016 buffalo to one battle!). I'll try limiting the buffalo to just savanna, and fiddle with the starting biomes. I still have a lot of ponies set to start in grassland, I'll spread them out a bit better. That could be why the buffalo run wild, they're set to start in savanna, so they start off uncontested, and anyone that tries to fight them has to deal with creatures four times their size. I seem to have derped and set cave ponies to start in grassland, too. With five civs against the diomedians, I might have to make another evil civ. It won't be griffons, I'm going to try to make them peaceful but unfriendly like the buffalo.

EDIT: The fiddling's worked for all but the diomedians, I'm getting pretty decent civs for everybody now, and they're building pretty little castles. I'll try again tomorrow, see if doubling up the diomedian civ(i.e. a renamed duplicate) gives them a fair chance, or if I'll just have to give them the no eating and drinking tags. Oddly, death rates for most civs are still quite high. Looking at the historical figures, it tends to be them being killed by megabeasts. Buffalo and Zebras don't seem to be having this problem, but they're also the ones who don't have the fortifications tag, maybe megabeasts are attracted to castles in world gen?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:51:50 pm by Nidokoenig »

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 07, 2011, 04:54:14 pm »

I've been busy doing horrible things to nidokoenings little mod to suit my own preferences :P
Disclaimer: Not that im not thankful for all the work you've done, as i would probably not have bothered to do any of this if i had to start modding from scratch

Small selection of Ponymod 1.6 Sorcerer Remix!

Removed the castes from zebras and buffalo to make the civs a tad more diverse, made their skill focuses narrower but stronger than normal ponies.
Added some new weapons, modified what weapons different civs use diomedan ponies use bigger, badder weapons, whips and flails, that sort of thing. buffalo use bows and arrows, spears and tomahawks. zebra use blowguns, spears and daggers.
Removed a bunch of pet tags from large animals because ponies with horses and cows are silly! stick to bunnies and dogs you silly ponies! (edit: whoops, this seems to have just removed the ability to trade on account of no packbeasts.. added CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK to the equines and bovines instead, lets see how that works :P
Tweaked starting positions and preferences a bit
modified diomedan pony castes to the names of the mares of diomedes,(Podagros (the fast), Lampon (the shining), Xanthos (the blond) and Deinos (the terrible)) and changed some things in their appearance and such there. (xanthos for instance, come only in black and white (and gradients)) whereas Lampon are bright colors.
Added a bunch of different plants with different seasons, grow time, value and usage.
Removed Tree Ents As much as i love their concept, they just work ankwardly ingame. they run away from danger, and have to be hauled to be "sheared"

Aaand a bunch of other tweaks and changes im sure... Next up on the agenda is going through the clothes and armor and try to change things up a bit there.

Hope my listing my personal mod preferences isn't TOO offensive to the original author :P

In closing, mad props to nidokoening for a great mod, which has had me playing more DF than i have in a while, and finally got me into the whole modding business ^^

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:50:13 pm by Sorcerer »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2011, 06:48:46 pm »

I love the idea that a modder might be annoyed by someone modding his mod. It hurts my brain so much I can't decide whether to make an Xzibit or Inception joke. I'm perfectly happy for anyone to tweak the mod, or use things like the wood painting and ents elsewhere, since they're useful concepts that don't really need to be rebuilt every time someone wants to use it. That stuff about the diomedians sounds interesting, they're a little too generic right now, so a few ideas for spicing them up would be nice.

I'm pretty sure all ponies already have whips, do you mean scourges? As for cows and horses, there were cows in Applebuck season, and in the Trixie episode, Twilight milks them to fill a bottle for the ursa minor. Then in the finale, Twilight conjures a bunch of mice into mousey horses, so cows and horses as pets is in the show, so it's in the mod. But, yeah, do whatever it takes for a game about magical ponies to make just enough sense for you.

I'm going to do some testing with ents. There's a point where speed wraps around, that is, you can make an ent so slow it starts moving as if it has [SPEED:0]. I'll try to find that value and put the speed at one point lower. They'll still run, but not noticeably.

I think I may have had a breakthrough with the expansion problem. I had most ponies set to have maximum site populations that are higher than the vanilla races, but buffalo and zebras are set to have smaller settlements. Hence they split sooner, spread faster, and don't get their expansion slowed by megabeasts being attracted long before they're due to split off and form another town. This could be why ponies are starving and being wiped out by megabeasts while buffalo are running wild. Edit: It works! Now to tweak it so that diomedians are a credible threat. I might have to make them use regular cities rather than dark fortresses, I think they're having trouble feeding themselves.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:35:16 pm by Nidokoenig »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 08, 2011, 12:07:23 am »

Heh, create a race of donkeys that are dull witted but can talk.  Call them Eeyores.  Let everyone use them for pack beasts.

Add a little Pooh to the Little Fortress, lol.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

thetyler101

• Bay Watcher
  • [SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 08, 2011, 03:46:03 am »

Heh, create a race of donkeys that are dull witted but can talk.  Call them Eeyores.  Let everyone use them for pack beasts.

You Joke, but we might actually be able to do it.
Rename the donkey and add the  talk to tag and Bam! Eeyores!! Not that bad of an idea really.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 08, 2011, 04:32:49 am »

You Joke, but we might actually be able to do it.
Rename the donkey and add the  talk to tag and Bam! Eeyores!! Not that bad of an idea really.

Watch out, add Eeyores, and someone else might need to add Tiggers.  Though I'm not sure if there are any movement mechanics in DF to mimic tailbouncing.   :o
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 140