Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348345 times)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2011, 03:33:05 pm »

I may not care about MLP, but if somebody got this mod to include painted wood, I would download it and steal the hell out of that code(with credits if I ever publish anything).

While considering the problem myself, I wondered if new templates could be used, though I don't know how to work with templates.  I'm assuming that since you can turn a plant into seeds by applying a template, and potentially change their color while keeping the name, you could do something similar by creating a painted wood template in each color of the paints you have.  Then create a reaction using the dye or whatever(I was working on a reaction to make paint from a bucket of oil and dye) and the wood to create wood of the new template, which would have a new color.  You'd probably still have to add something to each wood raw, and I'm not sure it would work.  That's just the idea I came up with, and I haven't been able to work on it at all.  My computer died, and I was still trying to figure out how to actually make paint that keeps its color.

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2011, 12:34:09 am »

If we were to make paint then how would we do that? Suggesting that they put paint making in a dye shop and then glazing things with paint at a Craftpony's workshop. Also you could pain the walls blue and the like..maybe be able to make pony paintings! Of course age would chip away so you'd have to repaint the wood.

Also a pony miner got knocked unconsious when she was mining and accidentaly cause a cave-in. Despite being unconsious they managed to walk out fine. However they couldn't get water because they were unconsious.

I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but what about orchard growing?
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:06 am »

What I'd do for making paint is just make a few new types of glaze and just have a new workshop apply that glaze as a decoration to wood or stone blocks. The only real problem is finding out whether blocks can be decorated, since they're considered basic building materials. If it wasn't, I'd just brute force it by making biome-less equivalents of all the current trees in all the possible colours and make reactions for it, similar to what blackdutchie said. It wouldn't support modded trees, but find and replace is an awesome thing.

Paintings would be difficult, there's only so much you can do with modding. What I'd suggest for it, though, is making a display-case-like workshop which requires a decorated bit of leather or cloth to construct. You could add tasks that teach leatherworking, clothesmaking, weaving or dying by admiring the craftsmanship and produce, say, a puff of steam to represent a thought bubble or something. Or make it require a plump helmet snack and produce the seed.

Walking out after a cave in might be something to do with them being four-legged(except slippies, obviously), they randomly get hit in a bunch of places by the cave-in, but it has to hit both legs to stop them moving.

Orchards are difficult because we don't have fruit-bearing trees. Apple trees typically require at least ten years before they bear fruit, then live for another couple of decades. Of course, I've taken a few liberties with life cycles already by making wheat worms harvestable in less than a year, so a quick apple tree might be doable. I'd probably make it require a year to grow, but produce a huge stack of fruit. Ooh! Idea! What if I added apple ents? Large, wooden creatures that can barely move and lay apples as strange eggs. You'd have to make egg boxes and pasture them to get apples, but it makes a strange kind of sense, right?

By the way, Good and Evil don't seem to work for underground biomes, so you'll get sweet worms and grave worms everywhere. Maybe I'll diversify them by adding syrups and extracts.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2011, 11:40:12 am »

Blocks can't be decorated, and paint can't chip.

While the brute force method might be your only true good solution, a decent compromise could be a plank creating reaction by which a unit of any lumber is converted to a "processed plank" wood, and only that processed wood can be painted (unprocessed painted wood is so ugly, you know  ;D) so that you only have to produce painted versions of one piece of wood.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2011, 09:44:35 pm »

I was thinking in respect to the 'colour' thing for buildings whether the mod could have it's own custom stone distribution, e.g. have cinnabar, cobaltite, olivine as layer stones? Might as well have candy-coloured rock to dig through!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2011, 10:06:38 pm »

Don't forget random gems everywhere just below the surface.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2011, 01:38:10 pm »

In light of the new episode; perhaps there should be a plant the yields rocks? Of course, it would have to be rocks like Microcline, Olivine and Cinnabar.
...Only problem being that you won't get your seeds back, but still it'd be nice to see the idea translated.

Also, there seems to be a lot of interest in that community game idea, so I guess I may have to organise it (even though I've never done anything of the sort before).
Though I may stall to wait for a new version if that's okay. (The idea of decorating building materials sounds like it would be useful.)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2011, 01:47:23 pm »

Terrain would be key. Terrifying forest next to a joyous plains at least?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Worldgen_examples#Patchwork would be a good start.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »

The question is, what takes precedence: Flat ground, or a volcano?
(Considering we can't just dive underground and stay under, flat ground is definitely worth at thought.)
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2011, 07:28:24 pm »

If we had to choose one or the other, I'd go for flat ground. After all, we can always make a volcano. Hey, that could be our megaproject! An artificial volcano made out of decorated wood! We should probably agree on some ground rules for what we're going to do, since some people will be limited by technology and patience. For example, raising tanks requires some pretty close attention, and the tendency to use lots of poultry in more recent updates plays hell with some people's FPS.

I've been catching up on the episodes today, and by my count, Rarity is a legendary clothesmaker, a legendary weaver(she made that gold fabric in Stare Master), a legendary gem setter(she decorates clothes with gems in the Diamond Dogs episode), a legendary miner(finding gems every time with magic, even if she doesn't dig them out- wait, does that mean she's a legendary teacher, doing demonstrations?), and does whatever it is that feathercrafting entails. Wouldn't surprise me if she was a legendary leatherworker, too. Her stats must be freaking godly. Once I'm all caught up I'll be able to give some thought to rock flowers.

Since my current fort is cave ponies, I'm running a fairly big clothing industry. One problem I'm seeing is that when I have handkerchiefs and bandanas made, they're always left or right ones, which is only useful for gorlak ponies and underlords(I assume they're stretched rather than perfect squares, and that's why they have an orientation). If I made a custom reaction for gloves, would it spit out unorientated gloves?

So, plans for the next update: Fix the orientated handkerchief/bandana problem, add buffalo and diamond dog civs, custom reactions for pretty wood, add various plants for different paints, give the various worms some unusual extracts to set them apart. Maybe add poison joke as a savage herb with a groovy extract. Oh, and apple ents, but that might take some testing to get them to work right.

My thoughts for the worms so far are:

Angel hair worm thread
Sweet worm syrup
Wheat worm paste(this'll need a new reaction, since the vanilla one calls for seeds)
Cave wheat worm beer
Blood worm juice(probably just a syrup)
Grave worm extract

I'll probably add a version of the entity file that cuts out the usual races, so that the world isn't quite so crowded. As always, completely modular, free choice. For the succession game, I was wondering if it might be nice to make a new pony creature that combines all the castes we currently have, so we have a random grab-bag of regular ponies, zebras, diomedians and cave ponies. At this point, I'm defining so much caste by caste it'd be pretty trivial.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:30:52 pm by Nidokoenig »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2011, 08:49:54 pm »

When ponies come to the fortress, do they wear anything on their mouths?

I created a mod where cats armored their mouths and tails with "grip guards," which replaced gauntlets, but they would not equip the armor until I added the [   RIGHT   ] and [  LEFT   ] tags to it. Unfortunately, that means that handedness is an intrinsic part of any equipment on grasping bodyparts.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:21:03 pm by darkflagrance »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:50 pm »

Yes, they wear plain handkerchiefs and bandanas, but the clothesmakers and leatherworkers will only make left or right ones. It'll literally say "cave spider silk bandana", but made ones will be "cave pony silk left bandana", or right. Gorlaks and underlords wear lefties and righties on their tusks, but plain ones over their mouths. Did you end up having to add left and right tags to your cats' mouths and tails or will they just take a left or right grip guard anyway?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:41:04 pm by Nidokoenig »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2011, 10:22:16 pm »

My cats have the RIGHT tag on their mouths and the LEFT tags on their tails.

I think the problem then is that in fortress mode, your clothiers can only make bandanas and so on in pairs. That probably still leaves no alternative but to add the RIGHT and LEFT tags to the ponies anyway.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »

If we had to choose one or the other, I'd go for flat ground. After all, we can always make a volcano. Hey, that could be our megaproject! An artificial volcano made out of decorated wood! We should probably agree on some ground rules for what we're going to do, since some people will be limited by technology and patience. For example, raising tanks requires some pretty close attention, and the tendency to use lots of poultry in more recent updates plays hell with some people's FPS.
Yeah, I really watch my FPS counter too. But, I'm sure I can cope with a bit of an FPS drop (I've got enough computer for plenty of fortress.)
But, I'm not that great with big fortresses, I don't manage the large populations so well.
Butchers shops get overrun so darned quickly.

Once I'm all caught up I'll be able to give some thought to rock flowers.
Sorry, I didn't realise you hadn't seen all the episodes. I'll watch what I say from now on!

I'll probably add a version of the entity file that cuts out the usual races, so that the world isn't quite so crowded. As always, completely modular, free choice. For the succession game, I was wondering if it might be nice to make a new pony creature that combines all the castes we currently have, so we have a random grab-bag of regular ponies, zebras, diomedians and cave ponies. At this point, I'm defining so much caste by caste it'd be pretty trivial.
That kind of sounds like fun. A proper ponyville then, made up of all kinds of Ponies (and kin), rather than just those native to the land.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »

Crud. I might have to do some fiddling to make the maths work on this, so the pairs can be shared equally.

Regular ponies have four possible graspers, three mouths, plus the unicorns horn(royalty are rare enough to ignore). If I set up duplicate pony mouths, two of them can have left mouths, the other can have a right mouth and the horn is a "right" horn. Diomedians work the same way, they just have a tentacle instead of a horn.

Cave ponies have five possible graspers, three mouths, plus the double tusks on the gorlaks which are already marked as left/right. If we split that into the six genders, we can have one half having left mouths, the other rights. Might make the split male/female, so people can do twee little things like having a couple share a pair of gloves. Cave ponies win again!

Zebras, aw, crap. Counting Aziza and Ibis three times, Karkadann twice and Abada once to make working out ratios easier, sixteen graspers, four of them horns. Abada horns are already directional, so that leaves fourteen. If Aziza and Ibis mouths are righties, and male Karkadann horns are too, that makes seven. There, that was relatively painless.

The reason I suggested a custom reaction is I remembered something about them being overly generic, things like making human-sized armour. On the off chance the size problem was fixed, a reaction might not have the sophistication to orientate clothes. It'd take twice as long to make a given number of glove pairs, but that just means more exp and you have to send the slippy squads out to chase turkeys more often.

Don't worry Fayrik, spoilers don't bother me too much. I'm almost caught up now, anyway, just watched the one with the buffalo. The way they just picked that apple tree up and carted it off makes the apple ents seem like the perfect solution. After all, they're just re-pasturing it, aren't they? I'll have to see how slow I can make an animal, and whether that affects egg laying.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 140