Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348712 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1800 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:49 am »

Ah, yeah, I knew I was forgetting something...

The armor change is to make the armor a bit closer to the canon look of pony guards (helmet, breastplate and funky boots) while also giving an option for full on armor without the fancy french names... Having to double check every time i made armor if what i needed was a peytral or a chanfron got old quick :P

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:04:11 am by Sorcerer »

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:53 am »

Okay, with stonesense being upgraded to work with castes now I thought I'd get back to playing around with the sprites.
This is an attempt at the guard armor.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: February 26, 2012, 10:12:33 am »

This is a good replica of armour from the show. Tough I'd prefer steel to gold (grey not yellow). It seems to me that palace guards have gallant armour, not the combat version.
I am also curious as to Your progress with displaying castes, because that would be even more awesome than coat colours.
Personally I'd go for simple trees and grasses to improve clarity at the cost of prettiness.
I think they are missing their weapons. In Phobeus I can tell apart axedwarf from speardwarf.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: February 26, 2012, 10:37:39 am »

Im probably going to add a grey version to serve as generic militia armor and use the gold one for the guard.

I can add weapons, but i haven't quite gotten that far yet, i still need to get hold of the new version. Ofcourse, with 88 castes, there's going to be a metric shitton of coding to get everything sorted :D

One question on looks tho... The guards in the series' helmet plumes and tails are the same color... should i do the same for these guys? if so, should i color the plumes the same color as the tails or recolor the tails?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:41:12 am by Sorcerer »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 26, 2012, 10:56:50 am »

Plumes are the same colour as their manes, which are the same colour as their tails. Are tail and mane colours identical in DF MLP mod? If so, copy to plume the colour of their manes or tails. You don't want to see a pony changing tail colour based on switching between civilian and guard duty.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: February 26, 2012, 11:43:51 am »

Same example with grey armor and mane colored plumes

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: February 26, 2012, 12:00:02 pm »

These plumes look better now, don't You think? Well, aside from being cut off to a straight line above the head, but that must be a limitation of sprite size.

The grey of their armours looks somewhat plain. If You want to continue toying with it, maybe settle for a more blueish hue to look more like steel. Or go back to golden armour. I don't know. A gradient probably wouldn't be a good idea in a png file.

I'm offering You the best suggestions I can come up with, but ask other people for opinions too.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: February 26, 2012, 12:43:36 pm »

I MIGHT be able to make the armor color to match whatever material worn on the upper body, that would be neat :P
I moved the sprite around a bit and managed to get the plume to be a bit more curved instead of perfectly flat, looks alot better now, but i shan't spam anymore until I have a working version of the castes :D

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: February 26, 2012, 01:10:31 pm »

Armour with colour tied to material would be great, but just a good looking sprite of a guard with correct colour of coat, tail and mane is fine too. You modified pony armour names, won't that interfere with using Your stonesense version with the main version of Pony mod that has French sounding names of pony armour?

Any chance, You'll make a tileset rather than stonesense sprites? There were at least two in this thread, but I think they weren't completed. One was ponies (and zebras, buffalo, and so on) drawn from scratch, and another with sprites of ponies from the show.

There were also incomplete language files somewhere. Having nice pony names, is preferable to manually giving nicknames to ponies with Dwarven names. There is probably a way to tie names to caste, so we can have female EP "Daisy", male UP "Moon Shadow", whatever PP "Cloud Dancer", and so on. I don't think there is a way to tie names to skills, but with "only two cutie marks" bug, multiplied castes, and a lot of manual tweaking, it should be possible to tie names and cutie marks in the official release of Pony mod. (That is manually look at cutie marks, and assign names to each multiplied caste, that match those two cutie marks. If it eve works like that. A lot of work anyway.)

Try zoom 1 next time You post a screenshot.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:50 pm »

My biggest problem with tilesets is the fact that you can't show the correct pony color or caste, which is why im primarily focusing on the stonesense thing atm.
The idea that was thrown around in stonesense forums was that it would look for an item in a layer on a bodypart and then set the sprite to the material color, so it wouldn't matter what mod you'd use, as long as your armor layer has an iron armorpiece.

I noticed the language file a while ago, and that sounds like something I'd like to implement as well.

As for the cutie marks and castes, it should definately be possible to tie certain cutie marks to certain higher skill proficiency, but as you said, that means ALOT of work. I'll look into maybe finding a way to automate it. Names however seem to be tied to the languagefile of the civ, which can only be set in the entity file, thus no way to tie to induvidual creatures.

Onto another question then. We've seen both talking cows and donkeys in the show, could an idea be to add these to the civ (in much lower numbers than ponies ofcourse)
Civ member milking is already possible, which should be interresting to say the least XD

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 26, 2012, 01:40:39 pm »

I'm still not 100% sure how I'm gonna do the armor material colors, but it's still a thing I intend to do.

also you can draw them bigger if you want to (not necessarily a good idea)

also I'm on IRC right now.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: February 26, 2012, 02:18:26 pm »

Cows and Sheep and Donkeys and Mules, but not Wiona the dog were speaking in the show. Hmm.. maybe give them all [UTTERANCES] and see if they start to speak, and become non-butcherable in the process, or remove farm animals completely. Turinig them into castes would make for some really weird families. Like, if "Baby Cakes" were a sheep and a donkey, or something. I'd prefer to keep pony civilization to four castes with two sexes. I'd rather keep farm animals as they are now, then have them turned into pony castes.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: February 26, 2012, 02:41:40 pm »

farmyard animals, even with [can_speak] and [intelligent] are still butcherable by the fact that they have the [pet] tag

I *THINK* i saw someone mention that you can include multiple creatures in a civ, so they won't be interbreedable

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 26, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »

darnit, adding more creatures to a civ seems to just randomize between the options when a civ is made... ohwell!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 26, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »

You mean after downloading "My Little Pony Mod" somebody would find himself playing as a civilization of sheep that can be milked and shorn? That's just as hilarious as some of DF bugs!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:43:36 pm by Maklak »
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 140