Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348716 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1785 on: February 23, 2012, 06:14:31 pm »

What did you have in mind, specifically?  The ability to turn certain things on and off?  Like turning off wood painting, or ents?  Or something more elaborate like being able to adjust creature stats?

It could be done with any scripting language that supported reading and writing files, but would take a fair bit of effort to be useful.  I just don't have the motivation.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: February 23, 2012, 06:30:29 pm »

Masterwork mod has a GUI tool to select what parts of it you want to have.

A lot of things about a mod like MLP are orthogonal. For example weather or not you want Zebra castes, or conjured wood are in separate files. Therefore a simplistic GUI tool for selecting parts of a mod wouldn't have to edit the raws, just have a directory with several versions of creature_pony_zebra.txt and copy one of it to DF raw directory. Same goes for conjured wood: either delete or copy some files. That way you can have most of what you want for minimal effort. Of course all those files would have to be manually updated for new releases of DF.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:57:42 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Surp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: February 23, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »

@Maklak and Telgin

Yes i'm using the "Fandom is Magic"-mod.
Maklak where right, all points were used for items already. Problem solved, thank you guys!
Pretty stupid beginner's mistake i guess, but everything's fine now.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: February 24, 2012, 04:44:47 am »

I was thinking something like masterwork yes but just for modding creatures. Being able to take in/out certain aspects of them like their skill sets or mental stats.
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: February 24, 2012, 04:55:58 am »

That could, however get more complicated in some cases. Pony size and castes on/off/undifferentiated/ornate would need to be changed individually, as would changing conjured wood, painted wood, fodder and dough. Compare vanilla plant_standard.txt to the pony version to see how much data individually defining everything needs. One thing I am doing for the update is forking the main mod into Simplified, Traditional and Ornate, and making a submodule for divided realms, the world as it was before the Hearthswarming Eve story.

Earth ponies definitely need a little buff, but I think a little extra strength and endurance should be just about enough. As for pegasi having lower learning rates, that's mostly to balance the fact that they do everything 20% faster. So they need more raw materials to get to a given level of mastery, but probably do it faster if that's what they put their mind to. I'm not keen on giving them levels in certain skills by default, that bakes in caste roles a little too hard. I'll add some modifiers for it, though, just commented out.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: February 24, 2012, 05:19:35 am »

Some sort of manual would be nice. Sure, I can just read /raw/objects/creature_pony.txt to check what pony castes do, or /raw/objects/plant_pony.txt to check if potatoes are any good (value 1, edible cooked, grow in all seasons) and take notes, but I'm lazy.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: February 24, 2012, 05:41:11 am »

Yeah, I'll add a manual. Potatoes are Sorcerer's doing, but I should have something to explain dealing with trees and the various castes and new reactions.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: February 24, 2012, 08:06:26 am »

Im probably wrong but I thought that if alicorns were secret base, their would be only a few in the entire world.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: February 24, 2012, 03:41:56 pm »

Im probably wrong but I thought that if alicorns were secret base, their would be only a few in the entire world.

Even in worlds where they do even spread around quickly, there will still be quite a few. A lot more than the average amount I see in a civs legends.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: February 24, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

Yeah, I wanted to make the silk roses expensive (250 bits per seed), but they're still added randomly on embark, which actually means you end up with MORE embark points.. Im going to add a base embark profile for my fork to bypass that problem, and i should probably also make a list of the various plants and such... potatoes only being cookable is something people would probably need to know :P

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: February 24, 2012, 08:02:46 pm »

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

I want to download this so much but it crashes my DF. D:

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: February 25, 2012, 03:49:20 am »

I don't really see the point in making seeds cost 250. If I want clothing industry, I can just buy them from first or second caravan, even if they cost 2500 and make large amounts of expensive (25 base value) clothes after that forever. If anything, make the seeds cost 10 and reduce the value of their fibre. Personally I think that plant fibre thread valued at 7 or 10 so is fine. It is only GCS silk that is normally expensive, but it is a reward for setting up a GCS farm. Regular spider silk is even cheaper than plant fibre, so if You want plants producing silk, it is OK to make it cheap. Spiderpony / GCS silk should still be superior in some way.

After getting rid of three seeds I had enough embark points to buy partial copper armour for two ponies. The biggest problem with that was that my civilisation doesn't have cruppers. Can You make it so that all pony civilisations have all parts of pony armour available?

Raw potatoes are unhealthy (for humans and pigs at least), but you can make alcohol out of them. Tough seeing as the ponies prefer carrot and radish juice to wine perhaps it makes sense to make potatoes non-brewable. All in all potatoes are uninteresting crop in this mod. Their only merit is that they grow year round, but farming in DF is so overpowered, that I usually stop farming after a few years anyway. I'm not arguing for the removal of potatoes, just that a table of crops with values, seasons, and what can you make out of them should be in the manual.

@ Souleater17:
I haven't tried the 1.71 (which is for DF 31.25), but "Fanon is Magic" version from a few pages ago in this thread seemed to work until I installed dfhack, and run stonesense.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: February 25, 2012, 09:29:16 am »

Okay, thanks! Downloading it now.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: February 25, 2012, 09:56:35 am »

My pony armor is slightly changed from nido's version

it consists of:
Breastplate - covers upper body, lower body and neck
Barding - covers upper body lower body and legs all the way down.
Padding - cloth variant of barding for extra layerage
Horseshoes (made in pairs, need two per pony) that cover hooves and legs
Helmet that covers head obviously.

All body parts are covered in at least one layer of armor, vitals are covered in two to three, depending on wether you have padding or not.
They are also layed in such a way that you can't use multiple of any item.

I've also made some slight changes to the plants since my last version, and I've added a small, badly formatted readme file

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3677116/My%20Little%20Fortress%20-%20Fanon%20is%20Magic.zip

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:10 am »

The original version of pony armour, with exotic-sounding names, like "crupper" (flank-plate), "peytral" (breastplate) and "chamfron" (helmet), is based on actual medieval armour for horses, but having names like "breastplate" and "barding" is more intuitive for contemporary humans, and especially non-native speakers. Horseshoes as something that covers legs, and not just undersides of hooves is a bit counter-intuitive, but both in the show, and in Hasbro's toys there are shoes for horses, and the royal guards appear to have "high boots". 

I think Sorcerer should add some sort of version numbers to those zip files.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 140