Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tree farm question  (Read 3050 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tree farm question
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:37:10 pm »

I need lumber, a LOT of lumber. I want something like 10k lumber. I have a 4x4 heavily forested embark and have mined out a soil and clay layer to sit around grow fungus. The problem is that sitting and watching trees grow is up there with watching paint dry. I guess I could irrigate a few rock layers but I'm worried about fps loss from ginourmous tree farms.

Is there any way to speed up the tree growing process?
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
Re: Tree farm question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:40:51 pm »

Well, you're really gonna need a ginourmous tree farm.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:41 pm »

Wait a few years, ignore it until then. The only thing I can think of to improve the efficiency of a tree farm is to remove all the shrubs in the area, because IIRC there's a hard limit to the amount of trees+shrubs in an area, varying by biome. So gathering all the plants means more trees will grow.

Time-wise, there's nothing as far as I know.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:46:19 pm »

Just harvest every caravan or so.  But why do you need so many trees?  What sort of technicolor project are you planning?

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:24 pm »

My project shall cause the entire world of elves to quiver with rage and jealousy.

The All Guardsmen Party

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:01:25 pm »

My project shall cause the entire world of elves to quiver with rage and jealousy.
A wooden castle, with lots of wooden statutes, then? :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:06:06 pm »

A giant constructed tree with hanging rings of underground wood and menacing with leaves of green glass?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »

A clever way to cover the entire map with logs and then set them on fire when the elven caravan arrives ?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:33:21 pm »

I need lumber, a LOT of lumber. I want something like 10k lumber. I have a 4x4 heavily forested embark and have mined out a soil and clay layer to sit around grow fungus. The problem is that sitting and watching trees grow is up there with watching paint dry. I guess I could irrigate a few rock layers but I'm worried about fps loss from ginourmous tree farms.

Is there any way to speed up the tree growing process?

Alas, no.

Advice on level-flooding: because water evaporates so quickly, you will basically need one outlet for every 1x1 area of your level to be flooded. A stream or river will actually flood a larger area than that, but it won't fill to a 2x2 area so overkill is better than having to replumb.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:16:22 pm »

get enough barrels and farms to be able to leave the game unpaused with repeat orders for planting, brewing and plant processing and just leave the game running with your fort sealed off while you go to school/work/the retirement center bingo game   come back and if your dwarfs are still alive you should have all your trees be fully grown.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:27:45 pm »

get enough barrels and farms to be able to leave the game unpaused with repeat orders for planting, brewing and plant processing and just leave the game running with your fort sealed off while you go to school/work/the retirement center bingo game   come back and if your dwarfs are still alive you should have all your trees be fully grown.

Nah, because babies will get born, caravans will arrive, etc. You can turn off some of those announcements but not all of them. I swear, I know ADHD schoolkids with less need for attention than the $!%!ing liaison. "Hey! Let me interrupt you to say...uh, nothing. Bye!"

Also, to maximize wood production, you don't want to flood it and forget it - you want to flood it, then ruthlessly harvest all plants and all trees. Which requires going back every month to redesignate the new growth for cutting/harvesting.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »

Just harvest the plants until there are a good number of mature trees - don't want to crush more saplings than necessary.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:58:28 pm »

May do better making path restrictions, to make some single-tile walkways in a grid pattern.  This would mean that when harvesting plants, the dwarves would walk along these strips of ground, then veer off to pick a plant, then back on.  It's better than having them run around all over the place.  With a macro assigning the traffic can be easy.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:03 pm »

Use an aqui-fall. Dig six or seven levels of pits, connected by a bar of Up/Down Stairs.

So:
Code: [Select]
FFFFFFF
FFFFFFF
XXXXXX
FFFFFFF
FFFFFFF

Now you pump water into the top, and it'll work it's way down to the lower levels. Be sure to do this all in one direction. And if you do multiple layers, separate them with at least one layer of stone. Helps to have an aquifer around, but it's not necessary.

Give each level a 6x6 stair well leading to the wood stockpiles, perhaps through a hallway further up.

That should solve your lumber problems. Unless you're after all one type of tree, in which case I salute thy insanity.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 09:01:38 pm »

A giant constructed tree with hanging rings of underground wood and menacing with leaves of green glass?

Yup, 100+z tree with full root and branch systems. I'll throw a post for it up when I have the basic root system constructed.

The All Guardsmen Party
Pages: [1] 2 3