Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tree farm question  (Read 3044 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Tree farm question
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:05:28 pm »

I was planning a smaller "elf tree" with captured elves as berries and blood-thorn making up the tree, but the branches were annoying to make and that fort got wiped when .21 came along.  I look forward to your dastardly tree!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 09:08:52 pm »

A giant constructed tree with hanging rings of underground wood and menacing with leaves of green glass?

Yup, 100+z tree with full root and branch systems. I'll throw a post for it up when I have the basic root system constructed.

I wanted to do that a while ago too. I was thinking about making it out of ashes though.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 10:25:31 pm »

I wonder if you can mod tree growth speed like you can mod animal growth speed.

I redid my estimates for materials, and I believe my giant tree will take around 60-70k wood.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 10:26:27 pm »

Time to mod in a reaction.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 12:23:31 am »

"This was once 68352 beautiful trees, but now it is but a crude bauble fit only for your kind."

Please tell me you plan to light this on fire.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 07:56:51 am »

Time to mod in a reaction.

This might be a better solution. I'm not super-experienced with modding, but you could probably have a reaction to turn cloth, stone, bones, clay, etc into wood. Clay in particular might be a good one, so you don't have to dig, even one clay tile will easily provide you with 70k wood.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 08:03:56 am »

Without digging whole underground layers, you can only try to make your current surface area more efficient.
- Be sure to flood the area in order to use every available tile (to cover rocks and such). Small areas can be done with buckets, a staircase, and a few upper floor tiles that are then removed.
- Be sure to remove shrub growth with plant gathering
- any un-gatherable shrubs should be promptly stamped into the ground. Use single-tile meeting areas for this.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 08:18:34 am »

[REACTION:FREE_WOOD]
[NAME:create wood]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:20000:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:NETHER_CAP:WOOD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

20.000 wood. Stand ready for FPS major hit!(with possible crash)
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »

I had an idea previously to make a fortress based around a spiral staircase with 'habitat rings' supplying all the food and wood. Basically it would involve digging out huge circles with floor hatches linked to a lever and each level on top of the other. I would flood a whole level turn off the water and then drop the water down to the next level and so on. I realized I would lose 1/7 water for each level so a better method might be to flood two levels. Also this can continue down as far as you like and can always be expanded later. But I never got around to it... Lol

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 01:50:39 pm »

In my experience trees don't just grow quicker on wet tiles, but tiles which are constantly getting wet, then dry, then wet again.  I first noted this when a forgotten beast made of fire kept emptying a lake in the caverns, and then before it refilled, sprouts would appear and eventually turn into trees.

What I use is I carve a large, semi-round area, in soil, near a water source (aquifier is best, lake will do) often with winding two tile passages to hold statues, then comes the crucial step: BACKWARDS PUMPS

A pump filling an already full reservoir but still pumping from a source that has water produces a continuous trickle backwards (which may cause flat out flooding,  buyer beware), and this trickle is mostly mist, incidentally making your future tree farm a great statue garden along the way.  All soil in the chamber (with some well placed doors), should constantly be either at 1/7 (at most 2/7) or just muddy, and with in two seasons you should start seeing your mushroom forest bloom.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 01:56:49 pm »

What about the old repeater setup, with a river flow and pressure-plated floodgates.  This can be used to keep water at 2/7 pretty well, when hooked up right.  Does it help to submerge and un-submerge a tile, or does it help to leave it underwater?  One is more complicated than the other.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 02:00:10 pm »

Example tree farm:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-25982-treefarm

I just used dwarf powered pumps to fill up the room until it was full. Once the room was adequately soaked I pulled the plug, which was a floor hatch linked to a lever. Simple but highly effective.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »

How'd you stop shrubs from growing?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 02:42:40 pm »

How'd you stop shrubs from growing?
There's the other type of road. I forgot the name. Its not paved.

EDIT: Dirt roads.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 02:46:58 pm »

Don't they grow through dirt roads over time?  I know trees will, which is the point, but won't shrubs grow on dirt roads?  And didn't you need to make dirt roads BEFORE flooding?  I seem to recall that dirt roads destroy mud.  Not to mention, this is only a good plan if you plan on converting a whole cavern layer.  It doesn't work if you've mined out stone, because you can't place a dirt road on stone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3