Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clowns!  (Read 1241 times)

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
Clowns!
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:38:21 pm »

*Spoilers! You have been warned!*

(Keep in mind I have no idea when/if Toady plans to expand on the circus.) Alright, so from what I know, hell can spawn an infinite number of demons. Well, I was thinking recently, wouldn't it be awesome if it was more of a giant tide of demons instead? As in, no hope, but technically possible.

My idea is basically to have a set number of demons, though huge, and so it doesn't lag uncontrollably, have them spawn at a certain rate. Not only this, but also have some kind of Demon ruler, and when he is killed the demons retreat into the depths. Perhaps the demons will have a city set up below, and even several workshops that can process/use slade.

I also think that in this city of demons, a temple could be placed with a pick ax capable of piercing slade. All in all, the demon city would provide ultimate power for your fortress, at the cost of yearly/seasonally occurring demon sieges that gradually progress in strength.

Thoughts?
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Clowns!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:47:43 pm »

Nah, hell is not so orderly.  There's not supposed to be reason or order behind it, simply demons that move to slaughter you.  Workshops, leaders, and planning are all traits of terrestrial creatures, not these demonic other-beings that only move to kill and devour.  These are something so alien, they don't think like normal creatures.

That being said, it did make me think of something.  Perhaps a new group of workshops could be unlocked when you breach hell?  The same way that magma unlocks new buildings?

Also, I don't think "spoiler" is required for the modding or suggestion forum.  If you're in them, you probably know enough already.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:09:33 pm »

Nah, hell is not so orderly.  There's not supposed to be reason or order behind it, simply demons that move to slaughter you.  Workshops, leaders, and planning are all traits of terrestrial creatures, not these demonic other-beings that only move to kill and devour.  These are something so alien, they don't think like normal creatures.

That being said, it did make me think of something.  Perhaps a new group of workshops could be unlocked when you breach hell?  The same way that magma unlocks new buildings?

Also, I don't think "spoiler" is required for the modding or suggestion forum.  If you're in them, you probably know enough already.

Rather than workshops, one might expect that fell moods would get unlocked by breaching hell.  But they're already so rare....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »

What about adding a group of surface demons that sell Slade products and ungodly high prices of Adamantine and live near Volcanos?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:58:24 pm »

Rather than workshops, one might expect that fell moods would get unlocked by breaching hell.  But they're already so rare....
Fell moods and the actual fun breach have no direct correlation.
Death is usually common afterward, but I don't see why there should be an actual connection.

I do think that, dwarves being dwarves, after they discover slade, they should find some way to use the stuff.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »

There is no connection, but he's requesting that there should be one.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 01:39:48 am »

I've seen a thread where it was suggested that the demons are finite. They're listed as unnumbered or something like that, but there's a few kinds of vermin that are too. I think the minimum was on the order of hundreds of billions, so it might take a while to kill them all.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:02:48 pm »

What about adding a group of surface demons that sell Slade products and ungodly high prices of Adamantine and live near Volcanos?
I think that would trivialize them.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »

"ungodly price" is not so ungodly.  Prepared meals can reach tens and hundreds of thousands of dwarfbucks in value if prepared right.  I've bought gold from a caravan for like 150, made three mugs worth like 19k each.  With that in mind, you could buy a piece of adamantine, make a set of adamantine mugs, buy all the gold, platinum, steel, and aluminum from a caravan, make a set of mugs, encrust them with everything you've got, and use those to buy more addy.

There's a reason addy is finite, because it's special.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »

Point made, Demons probably shouldn't think like surface dwellers. But I still support Slade processing! That would make for hilarious amounts of fun. :D

And I know people should know, but some still don't. Its good to have said spoiler warning regardless.
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »

I do love when someone gets on the forums and says "I don't know why I have an adamantine longsword on my map.  What is adamantine?"  Makes me realize the game is still gaining new players...