Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: It's Pathos  (Read 11652 times)

Pathos v2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It's Pathos
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:28 am »

I'll be perfectly honest: I'm a bit disappointed with Toady. I didn't mind the ban (I can't say I consider it deserved, but eh) and I didn't overly hate the permanent account deletion (even if it did hurt a bit :( ).

What upset me was the fact he permanently banned me and then refused to give a real explanation for it. He outright refused to answer my emails, I couldn't log onto the forums to ask for an explanation and all my ban message says is this:-
An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
Pathos: sockpuppets, troll
This ban is not set to expire.
At least it says sorry.

I wouldn't've cared if he'd just said to me, "Sorry, man, you hurt the community" or something along those lines but, instead, he just bans me outright with no chance of ever rejoining a community I really do love and admire for staying strong and developing it's own culture. I was a relatively long term member of the forums (from 2007, if I remember rightly) and the fact that Toady basically demolished me and my accounts with a single button press and not feel bad about it is more than a little bit upsetting.

I don't have any hard feelings for Toady, really. He's overworked and, I have no doubt, has little time for these forums anymore. He used to come on here all the time and at least do some things (such as implementing a mod forum after I pointed out mods were clogging up DF general discussion :p).

It's the fact that he's got rid of me with no chance of me coming back unless I circumvent the forum rules (like, you know, creating new accounts) that hurts the most. The fact he could do it to any of you, too, is worrisome.

Oh, well, I still enjoy Dwarf Fortress and will defend Toady on forums where he's bashed relatively constantly (SA etc).

This account is probably going to get permanently banned and deleted anyway, so I'm gonna go ascend to a new plane of existance or something.

Bye, guys.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It's Pathos
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:04:47 am »

Were you using socks, Pathos?

I honestly don't remember the circumstances at all, but I wish that Toady would give more explanations for that kinda thing.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:05:02 am »

I'll be perfectly honest: I'm a bit disappointed with Toady. I didn't mind the ban (I can't say I consider it deserved, but eh) and I didn't overly hate the permanent account deletion (even if it did hurt a bit :( ).

What upset me was the fact he permanently banned me and then refused to give a real explanation for it. He outright refused to answer my emails, I couldn't log onto the forums to ask for an explanation and all my ban message says is this:-
An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
Pathos: sockpuppets, troll
This ban is not set to expire.
At least it says sorry.

I wouldn't've cared if he'd just said to me, "Sorry, man, you hurt the community" or something along those lines but, instead, he just bans me outright with no chance of ever rejoining a community I really do love and admire for staying strong and developing it's own culture. I was a relatively long term member of the forums (from 2007, if I remember rightly) and the fact that Toady basically demolished me and my accounts with a single button press and not feel bad about it is more than a little bit upsetting.

I don't have any hard feelings for Toady, really. He's overworked and, I have no doubt, has little time for these forums anymore. He used to come on here all the time and at least do some things (such as implementing a mod forum after I pointed out mods were clogging up DF general discussion :p).

It's the fact that he's got rid of me with no chance of me coming back unless I circumvent the forum rules (like, you know, creating new accounts) that hurts the most. The fact he could do it to any of you, too, is worrisome.

Oh, well, I still enjoy Dwarf Fortress and will defend Toady on forums where he's bashed relatively constantly (SA etc).

This account is probably going to get permanently banned and deleted anyway, so I'm gonna go ascend to a new plane of existance or something.

Bye, guys.

I would normally have a little sympathy for a post like this, but in your case, I think "sockpuppets, troll" is perfectly adequate. You know what you did. It doesn't require explanation.

I admit I've heard more than one case of Toady not exactly being responsive to requests to talk about things like why a person has been banned, including from the person themselves, but I really don't think you're a very good example and that you shouldn't expect much sympathy from anyone.

I don't really get why you say you "don't mind the ban" and then go on to say that you're mad about pretty much the same thing. You screwed up big-time; you shouldn't be allowed back, and you know exactly why.

I agree that Toady seems to be taking a rather reactionary, uncommunicative approach to moderation lately, but I don't think you getting banned-and-purged for alt-account trolling is a very good argument for this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:27 am »

Hey I vaguely remember this guy. Had it coming. I'm not worried about getting banned, though, like he says. I'm a rule abiding community member :P

Either way, all of the bans I've seen Toady do, he's always posted "banned so and so for blah blah and yadda yadda" as his final word in the thread where they pulled the last straw. I could be missing some, though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:08:37 am by freeformschooler »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:58 am »

Hey I vaguely remember this guy. Had it coming. I'm not worried about getting banned, though, like he says. I'm a rule abiding community member :P

Either way, all of the bans I've seen Toady do, he's always posted "banned so and so for blah blah and yadda yadda" as his final word in the thread where they pulled the last straw. I could be missing some, though.

To be honest, you wouldn't notice the ones where he didn't (if/when they happen), for obvious reasons.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:15 am »

I'm guessing it would be too much work to set up a public "ban tracker" if it's really that important to community members  :P

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:27 am »

Oh hey, it's this guy everybody talks about.
People say that you're everybody, I never really got the joke.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:23:02 am »

I'm guessing it would be too much work to set up a public "ban tracker" if it's really that important to community members  :P

I believe a moderation log of some sort was pretty much the one possibility Toady was open to, last time I checked, with regards to changing how the forum is moderated.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:25:35 am »

I dont recall the details, but I think that back when Pathos was banned the reason was announced. IIRC it was after that creepy lactation thread, but I might be wrong.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:25:58 am »

I think the keyword is "sockpuppeting".
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Pathos v2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:39:50 am »

I would normally have a little sympathy for a post like this, but in your case, I think "sockpuppets, troll" is perfectly adequate. You know what you did. It doesn't require explanation.

I admit I've heard more than one case of Toady not exactly being responsive to requests to talk about things like why a person has been banned, including from the person themselves, but I really don't think you're a very good example and that you shouldn't expect much sympathy from anyone.

I don't really get why you say you "don't mind the ban" and then go on to say that you're mad about pretty much the same thing. You screwed up big-time; you shouldn't be allowed back, and you know exactly why.

I agree that Toady seems to be taking a rather reactionary, uncommunicative approach to moderation lately, but I don't think you getting banned-and-purged for alt-account trolling is a very good argument for this.

Actually, I used the sockpuppets mainly to explain to people that I was banned since people sent me messages on Pathos every time I disappeared with stuff like, "Are you angry at me? Where've you disappeared to? Has your girlfriend killed you yet?". It was rare for me to even talk in the same forum using a sockpuppet, never mind in the same thread.

I never trolled these forums and I especially never trolled on a sockpuppet. That would just be unfun.

Roughly, it was because I said Hungry was Armok and then made a thread about it with a poll choice of:-
A) Armok is Hungry.
B) Armok is Pathos.
C) Pathos is Hungry.
D) They are all the same person.

Or something along those lines.

Please explain why I "had it coming". :P

I certainly never got one for my ban. I THINK there was a thread asking about where I'd disappeared to and then Toady told people I was banned in that, but eh.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:42:26 am »

Yeah, I agree that I don't remember seeing Toady ever give out an explaination for your ban. Anyway, sockpuppets and alt-accounts are justified to be against forum rules regardless of who made them and why and for what reason. It doesn't matter if you were using them to troll or not. I'm not saying you did this or that, just that you did break the rules and on most forums including this one that warrants either a mute or a ban (though preferably with better explanation).

It's not my place to justify the rules. I just note that they exist and apparently (and from what I could remember) had been broken.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:45:50 am by freeformschooler »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 09:45:26 am »

I never trolled these forums
So that lactation thread wasn't trolling?

Pathos v2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:51:00 am »

Yeah, I agree that I don't remember seeing Toady ever give out an explaination for your ban. Anyway, sockpuppets and alt-accounts are justified to be against forum rules regardless of who made them and why and for what reason. It doesn't matter if you were using them to troll or not. I'm not saying you did this or that, just that you did break the rules and on most forums including this one that warrants either a mute or a ban (though preferably with better explanation).

It's not my place to justify the rules. I just note that they exist and apparently (and from what I could remember) had been broken.

There is always a place for extenuating circumstances. Or, at least, there should be. :(

I never trolled these forums
So that lactation thread wasn't trolling?

That was a joke shared amongst friends. :( It was a parody, not a direct troll attempt.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 10:00:58 am »

These forums already take jokes a little too far. I don't remember exactly how bad you crossed the line, but I do distinctly remember you crossing it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7