Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: "Vote No on Alternative Voting Systems! Our Country Can't Afford It!"  (Read 4566 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: "Vote No on Alternative Voting Systems! Our Country Can't Afford It!"
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 04:55:40 pm »

Anyway, what was this thread about?  Oh right, British politicians using military budget shortfalls as a smokescreen against implementing a rational legislative representation instead of shambling along on the legacy compromises of Oliver Cromwell.  Why exactly would anyone not vote for something that at least sounds like a more representational system of governance?  In terms of ordinary citizens anyway.
It's accompanied by a redistribution of seats which could be seen as gerrymandering (or a fairer redistribution of seats that just so happens to benefit the parties in power).

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 05:21:52 pm »

I think an even more pressing question is "Why is changing the system going to cost 250 million quid?" You can just copy-paste most of it from just about any European country?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 05:32:11 pm »

It's the UK government. It likes to find something that works fine then pay people to reinvent it exactly from the ground up.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 05:56:05 pm »

Dammit, if your country had done the same thing each time it had financial difficulties (i.e. refused to change anything) mine could've overtaken yours centuries ago!

...wait, no, mine was part of yours untill sometime in the 40ies. Also it was a pretty horribly underpopulated colony. Also we're loathsome unimaginative followers who can't come up with anything on our own and we'd just have copied you in the hopes we'd become a cool country and get to hang out with the other cool countries who're now near bankrupt.

Still, it was a funny joke while it lasted.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 08:19:39 pm »

It's accompanied by a redistribution of seats which could be seen as gerrymandering (or a fairer redistribution of seats that just so happens to benefit the parties in power).

this will happen regardless of the AV referendum and is something the tories are in favour of. Essentially our distribution of parlament seats is based on population distribution from (i dont know 50yrs ago maybe), and now people have generally moved south. So the tories want fewer seats in the north and scotland to be more representational of the populice. Purely by coincidence this remove several labour and SNP seats whilst strengthening tory seats.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 08:33:09 pm »

So, crazy stuff happening in Japan, Afghanistan is stable compared to North Africa, multiple US state governments are trying to instate fascism, and now the UK is using American-style mudslinging!?

What is the world coming to?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 08:34:15 pm »

.....Question:

Why do we have politics if they're just gonna pull this shit?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:07 pm »

Dammit, if your country had done the same thing each time it had financial difficulties (i.e. refused to change anything) mine could've overtaken yours centuries ago!

...wait, no, mine was part of yours untill sometime in the 40ies. Also it was a pretty horribly underpopulated colony. Also we're loathsome unimaginative followers who can't come up with anything on our own and we'd just have copied you in the hopes we'd become a cool country and get to hang out with the other cool countries who're now near bankrupt.

Still, it was a funny joke while it lasted.

...Canada? Yeah, we're pretty cool like that.

[on topic]So, the UK has to get in on the world going to shit too? Welcome to the party.[/on topic]
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 08:39:32 pm »

I know a lot of people who say that it's incredibly obvious that the UK should use AV and anything else is absurd.

However, they tend to think of the lib dems when they say this.

If the 2010 election used AV, the BNP would have gotten 12 seats and UKIP 20. And those are the people who voted even though their party didn't have a chance of winning. If AV were to go ahead, I imagine a lot of BNP and UKIP supporters who do not vote would start, so you could expect those numbers to increase.

The loonies would still not get anything, though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 08:46:37 pm »

12 seats?  I'd like to hear your figures, considering the BNP were roundly trashed to hell in the 2010 election, losing almost all of their councillors and dropping behind in basically every MP election they contested.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »

The world is going into a depression spiral, dont worry, once the 2012 event passes I expect the mood to lighten.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 09:31:50 pm »

12 seats?  I'd like to hear your figures, considering the BNP were roundly trashed to hell in the 2010 election, losing almost all of their councillors and dropping behind in basically every MP election they contested.
The BNP got 564,331 votes, which was 1.9% of all the votes cast in the election.
UKIP got 919,546 votes, which was 3.1% of all the votes cast in the election.
There are 650 seats.
1.9%*650=12.35
3.1%*650=20.15

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 09:35:32 pm »

That's proportional representation, though. I'm fairly sure we're not going anywhere near that far, much as I'd like us to.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 10:21:38 pm »

I bet the campaign costs more than the damned change would be anyway.

The world is going into a depression spiral, dont worry, once the 2012 event passes I expect the mood to lighten.
2012 is, word for word, the "End of the world as we know it." So yeah, I expect it to just rain money or... Some country somewhere will get a fair and just government system.

Blergh! England really does suck right now.

...Wait. 2012...
I just realised. This "End of the world"...
It's the London 2012 Olympics.
It will be that bad.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:30 am »

We're still looking at a DFN release before 2012, so the world should be ending halfway before that. No worries.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5