Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ok, i got it. case closed.  (Read 2895 times)

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ok, i got it. case closed.
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:18:44 am »

so, yea, basically this, what videocard?

i am currently making sophisticated physics engine as my diploma and i can make it into pretty interesting engineering game(imagine swords that cut through flesh and then are stopped by fractured bone, and you can actually forge this blades, or make working clock mechanism, or rifle just with ingame interface. all in 3d and realtime, also) BUT this engine requires one heck of computing power, which in turn can be provided only by late gen videocard processors(nvidia gtx 570, in my case) and i have to know, is it even worth to put effort into game, basically how much people on internet could potentially play it.

i'm asking here because game will be pretty complicated and obviously likes of you guys are my potential consumer base.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:08:59 am by nogibator »
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
Re: what videocard do you have?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:25:09 am »

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 gb RAM in it.

Even though many people aren't able to play the game at the moment, I say you should go for it. If it turns out to be an awesome game, a lot of people will hear about it and they might upgrade their computers just to play it.

On a side note, this might belong in the "general" forum here on Bay12 outside of the DF forum.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:28:31 am »

ATI 4890 with 2gb ram and custom cooler.

Though about the bay12ers being the main consumer base, that might be a bit iffy. The games here have allmost nothing to do with the GPU.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:27 am »

The games here have allmost nothing to do with the GPU.
yea, but i thought that at least i could see basic trend- do hardcore gamers have good videocards, or not. as xordae's steam survey shows, most gamers worldwide indeed have cards with opencl support and as Lawec suggested people might actually upgrade their cards(250$ aren't that big sum, no?) so now i probably should move to coding. see ya guys on my own site next time, hehe.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 05:33:29 am »

nVidia's Palit GTX 460 Sonic 2GB.

Was 1€ cheaper than the 1GB version, that in discount the other not...  ;) A tad bit overkill for playing 2d strategies maybe.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:50:31 am by Erkki »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:42:36 am »

Nvidia GTX 260, 896mb
Shoes...

Jameslaker

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:57:13 am »

My preference is the nVidia, they are rated far superior than ATI.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:51:45 am »

Suddenly, way outside the standard deviation, an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03).

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:15 am »

Suddenly, way outside the standard deviation, an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03).

Yeah! Let's bring down the average here! You peoples and your fancy schmanzy videocards...

Nvidia 8600 GTS here.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:41:24 am »

My preference is the nVidia, they are rated far superior than ATI.
Because ATI cards were made by monkey parents who have to ask their monkey teenagers how this 'dang computer box' works.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:49:42 am »

nVidia G-Force 6600GT. 128MB. :P
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:55:51 am »

GTX 460 at the moment.

By the time that your game is ready, that GTX 570 card won't be so high-end anymore.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:01:10 am »

nVidia G-Force 6600GT. 128MB. :P
I remember those!

I had two of them on one card, a massive Gigabyte crazy-thing. The motherboard exploded and killed it, so I upgraded. Then again when that card died a few years later. I have a nVidia GTX 285 now.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 11:22:33 am »

ATI HD 5670, 1gb. I have always bought ATI's, but I'm thinking of switching over to a nvidia when I get the chance. It might just be me, but ATI cards seem to spazz out on quite a few of the new games I buy.
Pages: [1] 2 3